• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Witch and the Beast (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, considering that witches do not age and have crazy powerful magic....one could call it a bit unfair. As for the grimoires, yeah you get a lot of power, but you gotta keep feeding the book lives/souls.
AverageAnimeFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:17 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Well, considering that witches do not age

Is that so? I read the manga a while ago spoiler[and can't remember if that was mentioned or not.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I believe the no-aging thing was mentioned in the last episode of the anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Mages include people like Ashaf and the detective. They can do magic, but presumably not usually in a way that they could be like serial killers with it.

And I do remember the first episode implying that witches live for a long time. I think we will need some more soon to actually understand anything more.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I believe the no-aging thing was mentioned in the last episode of the anime.

Correct, Ashaf said in the newest episode that witches do not age, that their health doesn't decline and that their power gets passed on to descendants.

Honestly, besides the stigma of being a witch, it sounds pretty darn good.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:05 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Mages include people like Ashaf and the detective.

Ah, so mages aren't just males, then? I thought mage was maybe like the word warlock, denoting a male version of a witch.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:46 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ah, so mages aren't just males, then? I thought mage was maybe like the word warlock, denoting a male version of a witch.

Nah, for lack of a better word they are completely different classes, with mages (both male and female) seeming to be a lot weaker than witches who are basically immortal and very powerful.
zfunk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:50 pm Reply with quote
It is only episode 4 and we are already doing a back door pilot.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:09 am Reply with quote
I was totally wondering who the people on the promotional art are.

Also, yet again doesn't look like we have a witch. Unless it turns out the woman is the titular witch in the series name. We did have what looked like a man probably using the bodies of woman (with red hair apparently, so a fetish) as tools.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:52 am Reply with quote
I like the approach of following an organisation and with that several teams rather than the mc duo all the time. That way you can have more interesting characters, keep things from becoming stale and it makes sense that each team has a different focus/speciality in what they can handle.

As for the case, bringing back your loved one from the dead sounds like a horrible option to have and one that I can see go wrong in so many ways. If not careful you would have a decent chunk of society become undead because their loved ones do not want to lose them. As for Johan, I suspect he is an undead, so he will be fine.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

That was pretty damn cool. Certainly unusual for a show to cede multiple episodes to non-main characters, especially so soon after starting its run but I don't mind. Especially since the show has very little interest in showing Guideau's beast form, apparently. Anyway, very interesting subject: creating undead and the regulations that surround that. I agree that Johan is probably undead which is strange given that Beauty is the one who is unnaturally cold.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Well, called it that she was a witch.

A lot of fantasy stuff usually leaves souls of the person out of turning their bodies into zombies, so the version in this series seems extra sinister.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm shocked that resurrection is actually legal as long as you follow the rules given how punitive it is for the soul that gets resurrected. You get cut off from the spiral of life and spend eternity in the Void? How is that not treated as the most taboo of activities?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, I'm shocked that resurrection is actually legal as long as you follow the rules given how punitive it is for the soul that gets resurrected. You get cut off from the spiral of life and spend eternity in the Void? How is that not treated as the most taboo of activities?

Agreed, knowing about the void makes it a very unappealing thing, basically only for those terribly afraid of dying or those selfishly wanting their loved ones back. The latter in particular is nasty, since it means sentencing the soul of a loved one in order to alleviate your own sorrow by forcing their soul to come back as an undead.

Also, it was nice to see the witch and her knights in action. No way does a shoddy necromancer and his failed experiments stand any chance. Said necromancer also got all the suffering he deserves.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:17 am Reply with quote
Sigh, the rather mediocre animation is such a shame for a show with a setting and world this interesting. We now have a seemingly innocent witch on the run (she does not at all seem like a brutal killer), the paladins laying siege (their captain seems rather strong), a not at all shady guy from the church (probably the bad guy of the arc if I had to guess) and our mc crew. I suppose we also have the demon sword, which is probably a tad dangerous to use.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3