• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Villainess Level 99

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Edwin's parents have much more common sense and political savvy than their son does, and seem pretty chill and cool in general.

Yumiella repping the gamer grindset.

So many suitors and Yumiella hasn't even held a single conversation with the male lead yet!

I love how Yumiella pointed out how Eleonora is on paper much more of the stock Villainess archetype than she is and yet somehow Yumiella was marketed as the Villainess. In context she was more of a groupie. Though I'm curious how their relationship will develop because the ED paints them as gal pals but Yumiella seems as annoyed with her as she is anything else involving Edwin.

Though it's kind of ironic how the daughter of the family leading the anti-king faction is obsessively in love with the prince. Though she could probably do better than Edwin.

Dang, Alicia really went for the jugular.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:31 pm Reply with quote
It was almost the villianess storyline, almost. With both Yumiella addressing the issue at hand and the revelation of what is seen by Alicia we at least get a better understand of how both Alicia and the prince sees the current situation. It was curious how quickly they lept apon the game storyline presumption though, assuming just talking to Alicia was Yumiella bullying Alicia.

Its behaviour like that that makes me feel like perhaps this world is drawn to its fate as a game more then as its own story. Or at least that there are forces which try and make it so.

Very limited animation, the wound being healed replacing the clothing really says they couldnt afford even 1 extra set of frames.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:55 am Reply with quote
I thought it was a monster summoning flute. Are they calling it a demon summoning flute now?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:16 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I thought it was a monster summoning flute. Are they calling it a demon summoning flute now?

I think it was me mixing my words up. Embarassed
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:37 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
It was almost the villianess storyline, almost. With both Yumiella addressing the issue at hand and the revelation of what is seen by Alicia we at least get a better understand of how both Alicia and the prince sees the current situation. It was curious how quickly they lept apon the game storyline presumption though, assuming just talking to Alicia was Yumiella bullying Alicia.

Its behaviour like that that makes me feel like perhaps this world is drawn to its fate as a game more then as its own story. Or at least that there are forces which try and make it so.

Very limited animation, the wound being healed replacing the clothing really says they couldnt afford even 1 extra set of frames.

There was a moment in the training session when the characters stopped moving, I was like " yep, we are out of budget".

It is interesting that the reviewer is taking the " she thinks it's a game" theory instead of the " she is neurodivergent" one. The latest makes for more interesting discourse, someone mentioned that it's outlines because she can follow the social clues when there are rules she can notice. My experience with this comes from having a high functioning friend, he is even a law-related worker, and the way he explains his experiences just checks.

Like he is self conscious he won't naturally get the social clues, so he trained himself to consciously search for them, which makes him more skilled than your average person... Once he is thrown a curve ball, something that does not follow his rules and he has no idea how to react or actually does not even register what went wrong.

We could see this the previous episode with lumiella in the thrown room, which showed her being well a over average in that setting, but then she easily gets screwed over when the queen calls her for a private meeting.and in this episode she is completely destroyed at school.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm still enjoying the show even with the bad cgi monsters (although I'm not watching this for the great graphics).

I'm just been enjoying watching these clueless teenagers try to interact with each other.

Also, it's nice that there's not that much fanservice for a change.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Dark magic actually being able to heal, but that it's just gross, was a great joke Laughing
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I love the prince spilling state secrets out in public and how it wasn't being accused of being the Demon Lord that made Yumiella unpopular but her gamer grind leveling tactics.

I'm glad the teacher is still around the principal is gone even though Ronald looks kind of suspicious...but he's so far playing pretty straight with Yumiella.

The male lead finally properly debuts! I like his dynamic with Yumiella already. He has a good head on his shoulders and actual combat experience, but he's so dedicated and earnest that he can not only match well with Yumiella but also get her to actually react.

Her group is totally going to be over-leveled compared to the prince's group, aren't they?
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:01 pm Reply with quote
^ Yea, I'll be curious about both groups reactions. Especially her group, will they be more receptive to her kind of intense training for now on.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:03 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
It is interesting that the reviewer is taking the " she thinks it's a game" theory instead of the " she is neurodivergent" one. The latest makes for more interesting discourse, someone mentioned that it's outlines because she can follow the social clues when there are rules she can notice. My experience with this comes from having a high functioning friend, he is even a law-related worker, and the way he explains his experiences just checks.

I think that is because despite being a reserved, un-emoting style of character, the story has no indications of being about neurodivergent behaviour. Just about someone who is unattached to the people around her so far, but is starting to receive some pushes in direction from people interested in her. And all the story has been about how she reacts to people because of game and isekai assumptions.

And really we only got someone pushing against those assumptions this episode with Patrick. And the review definitely covers the meshing of gears from Patricks point of view.

You can certainly interpret her as neurodivergent. But it doesnt appear to be what the story is about.

By the by, I think the imagined celebration of Yumiella's tossing herself into the air is just about as adorable as the conference of Bakarina personality aspects for a year or two back.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Yea, Yumiella is lost in her own little world while in another world she perceives is nothing more than a video game she played. So she definitely need someone to help her get connected in this fantasy world.

She really does tried to get along with everyone around her!

Although she could have been like this in her previous life as well. I kinda hope we learn more about that.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:10 am Reply with quote
I'm having fun with lvl99, but man the lack of budget in this episode was an eyesore. Especially when CG Fido looked more like he was nuzzling that arm and not actually biting it.

I laughed that dark magic healing is gross looking Laughing
Antipathy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I love how in Episode 3, when meeting the King, that they kept in the hard to notice charge Yumiella did when the King asks her to "wield your strength as a sword for our kingdom", then Yumiella replies "As one of your loyal subjects, I have every intention of serving as the kingdoms shield."

I think some might not know what she did there because the anime does not go into so much detail as the LN. It boils down to the king wanting her to use her power for wars of conquest, but Yumiella saying nope to that, she will just protect the kingdom and not fuel or fulfill wars of aggression to expand the kingdom.

Edit: I do kind miss the part when Yumiella meets the Queen, and she tells the Queen how she spent this life alone, and neglected by her parents. This causes the Queen to breakdown into sobbing and tears, then saying that Yumiella could regard her as her mother regardless if she marries 1 of her sons. In the LN it doesn't even come off as a political move. It is just a loving mother seeing a child that has been neglected and abused, and wanting to ease their pain and give them at least a portion of the love any child should have from a parent.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:28 am Reply with quote
I guess it depends on how many historical or fantasy drama's people have watched. As being someones shield or being someones sword is a semi common analogy in such shows. I did appreciate her saying it. I also appreciated that the show felt it didn't need to explain the interaction, but we could just draw the inference from how it was said and facial ques as well as the following conversation about the factions and 1 sides desire for war.

I wonder if light novel info would fall under the forum spoiler rules or not. I dunno. But it is normal etiquette to treat information not aired in the anime as something to put behind spoiler tags.

*edit* Episode 5
Yumiella finding more of her place in this world during training, even if in the end she lets her gamer instincts take over and jumps the gun. I hope she can regain some general cordial relationships with the other students.

Patrick certainly is a good boy and has quite a sympathetic side to his experiences. Makes me wonder how far down the royal line the margraves are from the royal family. That said his willingness to be the pratfall to Yumiella's OP jokes does show him also in a silly light. I would be interested if he can find a way to teach Yumie some sword skills without endangering himself.

Two thoughts about Alicia. 1 - She and the game trio still seem to have some kind of physical reaction to Yumiella's presence, and I am thinking it can make them irrational. 2 - Alicia the person seems to be more amicable and passive compared to Alicia the player avatar.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm half-convinced now that we're going to see Yumiella regrow her head at some point (probably in the battle with the Demon Lord).

Yumiella and Patrick are so cute and endearing together. Patrick is capable and charismatic and treats Yumiella as a person, and Yumiella responds so well to that and is way more overtly emotional than she usually is. She just needs to learn to rein in her solo gamer tendencies even if she means well.

Oh of course the one moment where it seems like Yumiella and Alicia are actually going to connect, Edwin goes and ruins it. They way they're describing the situation with his party it sounds like the three stooges are going to be in a bind because they prioritized leveling themselves up instead of their party or Alicia while Yumiella's group will be overleveled.

I'm glad Patrick stood up to her. Seems like there's some kind of tension between Patrick and Edwin?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5