• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Villainess Level 99

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:08 pm Reply with quote
In a way it feels like Edwin is isolating Alicia. When she tries to talk to Yumiella Edwin steps in, cuts her off, and drags her away. Alicia probably doesn't have any friends outside of Edwin approved people either. I don't think he's being deliberately abusive, but it feels unintentionally cruel.
andramus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:22 am Reply with quote
This was the point in the novel where I really got invested in Yumiella as a character. It was the first time she exhibited some emotional vulnerability and went from being primarily comedic to empathetic. For me at least.

Retroactively it probably shows that she had been lonely all along but hadn't even realized it herself. It wasn't until she made a friend and contemplated the possibility of losing that friendship that she became afraid of returning to how things were.

I think it's possible to live in an emotional state for so long you cease to be aware of it. It becomes the new normal. For Yumiella her loneliness was so familiar she was almost comfortable with it.

It sort of reminds me of Subaru from Re:Zero. In the anime he seemed very cavalier early on and lacking in emotional depth. For a lot of viewers episode 18 of season 1 and episode 4 of season 2 were turning points where we came to understand the character better and retroactively made his past behaviour make more sense.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:42 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Makes me wonder how far down the royal line the margraves are from the royal family.

The modern equivalent is "marquess," so one level below dukes, making them pretty high up there. But margraves also had a lot of military power, and some margraves were basically kings in Medieval times, so in the story's world, they could be pretty damn powerful. Yumiella notes that Patrick is a good military commander and that he's a margrave's son, linking the two, so that's a good indicator that this might be a world where a king would be right to want to cultivate a margrave's good graces for political reasons.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Quite liked seeing the progress with all the non prince characters this episode.

Now this episode clearly demonstrate Yumellia thinking in entirely different ways. Unsure how much of it is meant to be for the comedy of it.
utawoutau

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:21 am Reply with quote
Did this show bother to establish why Yumiella is brain dead?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I like how even other students are seeing all the obvious chemistry Yumiella and Patrick have with each other. Also Patricks' reaction to Yumiella just gets more and more hilarious (the way he backed away when she smiled at him because he knew exactly what she was going to do).

I'm glad Yumiella and Alicia were able to share a moment. I wonder if Yumiella talking to Alicia about using your own emotions from your magic might also relate to why she's so adept with dark magic...if Alicia uses positive memory for light magic, is it Yumiella's loneliness and isolation that makes her so powerful in dark magic?

I don't know what's better, Yumiella rising to the obvious bait of an amulet that would enhance her already OP power or insinuating she would've robbed anyone else who had it.

Wow, the three stooges are actually apologizing and respecting Yumiella? That kind of shocked me. Even if it didn't end up saving them from getting completely overshadowed by her.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:32 pm Reply with quote
My favorite part of this episode was Patrick explaining social clues to yumelia " you see, when you interact with people, pay attention to their reactions".
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:40 pm Reply with quote
The way those male leads apologized sounded like they were lines straight from a game designed to be an early flag or something Laughing

I think Patrick was that far back to start because he knows Yumiella well enough by now. The initial distance and then him moving further back both got a laugh out of me.

A little disappointing that we got the same black hole spell and not something new. Also there wasn't a storm after the last one, right? I guess because she held back her power?
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Hoho, Rebecca is hot off the heals of Villianess 99 this week. We can tell how keen she is on this story with the excited nature she has for writing for the work. And a good episode for demonstrating Yumiella's struggles with her real world vs her own mindset.

I am a little saddened to see her progress with fellow students now considered completely depleted to the point of her not even getting Hello's from students for half a year. And hear I thought she would at least get some acknowledgement for working with her class to level up. Poor Yumiella.

At least she has Patrick and finally has someone to badger her out of her comfort zone with Eleonora. I think I prefer this approach of her blind faith in Yumiella as opposed to the earlier feeling of looking for cronies to enforce her desire for Edwin. This has a much better dynamic of some naivete but also someone who desires progress and self effort. And yes Eleonora is much better off exiting the villlianess role, I am happy to see that. Maybe one day she might be able to work on seeing her crush's behaviour.

There is another work tackling the same concept of the story should be continuing but the players are not in the right positions, that of Why Raeliana Ended Up at the Duke's Mansion. The key difference between the works is that Raeliana quickly found things going off the rails from the expected story. But Yumiella's circumstances still closely mirror the game. Especially in regards to Alicia, despite her seemingly having a bit of a different experience compared to the games mechanics of leveling up.

As such we still see events occur that match the game, and the game continues to matter, compared to Raeliana's dissonance as her book plot failed to manifest.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I was waiting for Eleonora to finally be relevant and there we go! She's basically forcing herself into being Yumiella's bestie because she thinks Yumiella not only supports her romance with Edwin but she also likes how Yumiella tells it like it is! Even if that had the complete opposite reaction Yumiella intended! And she'll even be her wingwoman!!!

Also I just find it cute how Yuma Uchida and Rina Hidaka are supporting each others' characters relationship with Yumiella.

Rita has been giving Yumiella cheap tea but she'll put out all the stops when it comes to getting her mistress' makeup ready.

Yumiella looks absolutely stunning in that red dress.

So it looks like Alicia is pursuing Edwin romantically? She pulled him away specifically over William and Oswald (who both realized what happened). I feel bad for Eleonora.

Yumiella and Patrick's relationship is progressing well. Yumiella is still awkward and can't quite put to words how she feels about Patrick, even as she's drawn to him more than anyone else...especially when Patrick is able to empathize with her original game self. And Patrick for his part realizes his feelings for Yumiella but doesn't get a chance to confess and now thinks he has to be Lv 99 to be worthy of her. Poor dude!
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:18 am Reply with quote
episode 7:

I've really been enjoying this show so far! There's have been many funny and great moments that had me laughing out loud.

But I got to say, this was the best episode from start to finish in series.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:13 am Reply with quote
You forgot to mention all that uncensored hand holding. No ,unlike watamote there is no Yuri theory on yumelia's.personality, this time.
SteelBlaidd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
At this point, Yumiella may be ignoring the signs he's waving around as a form of self-defense. She has no clue what to do, so she'll casually throw out her suitor-killing line and call Patrick "an acquaintance."

Or maybe she really is that clueless.

(Insert meme of cute five year Mexican girl) "Por que no los dos?"

This is probably the first time in both of her lives that Yumiellia has been the object of anyone's interest, romantic or otherwise, and her three conversation statements just don't cover this so she has no prescripted conversation options.

Patrick, bless him, manages to recognize that "acquaintance" is currently the highest level relationship she can comprehend being in and is working to expand her vision. He even recognizes that her reactions are mostly about her inexperience reather than not liking him.

The music has suck timing though.

And Yumiellia always goes for the biggest gun.
Ryuu14

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:41 am Reply with quote
I love Eleonora, she's absolutely delightful and I can't wait to get more content with her.
imo she's also the type of person that Yumiella needs, someone who forces her way through the loner-barrier that Yumiella put up.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I've read the LN's for this one, and it kept me laughing the entire way. So much fun.
The anime is no masterpiece of animation, but they have made good choices and I am enjoying the show a LOT.

This is probably my favorite new show of the season, it puts a big smile on my face, and always generates a laugh, and manages to address bias based on appearance, and type of magic. If this show played all this straight I would have dropped it, but it is SOOOO not playing straight. Even though I know more or less what is coming, the little insights into Yumelia's mind are just fantastic, and the Voice Actor really nails her.

Glad to see other people are enjoying this show as well, cheers!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5