• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Villainess Level 99

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:43 pm Reply with quote
The Hidden Boss becomes a mom and a pet owner, is as dense to her love interests' feelings as her Black Hole attack, and has a based Gal Pal who just rolls with getting chomped on by a dragon.

Also I love how the dragon started out 2D but grew into CG in adulthood.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:32 pm Reply with quote
This is the second time Rebecca has described Alicia's seeing of pools of darkness around the dark magic entities as prejudice. Has that been established in the show? I had figured that the perception of a dark aura around dark magic was a literal side effect of light magic affinity. I guess "creatures surrounded by evil-looking auras are scary" is its own prejudice, but it feels like a very different type than the general public's prejudice.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Early on before we where able to confirm why she was so instantly and constantly afraid of the black haired dark magic user, it certainly felt like prejudice. But we have seen her try and get along with Yumiella, and had both an explanation and now we have seen things through her eyes. So that brings to question is it prejudice? Or a more physical reaction.

And the flow on question, how much is reasonable to treat someone based on what they see from a distance? One thing to note, Alicia did accuse Yumiella of being the demon lord. And on seeing the dragon did say now there is two of them. A "them" has connotations of a negative view.

No doubt we will find out more of Alicia as the game events continue to encounter the weird force of our hard core leveling freak of a MC.

I wonder what this story would look like if Alicia was more liked by the other students, instead of being seen as being coddled and treated special by the prince.
utawoutau

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:33 am Reply with quote
I’m convinced that in her past life Yumiela was an orange. I don’t know how an orange played an otome video game, but man, this girl is stupid as all get out.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:51 am Reply with quote
In the manga another reason she talks herself out of her feelings for Patrick is because if it got out people could threaten him to get to her.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:26 pm Reply with quote
The 'yes, maybe, I don't know' if Yumiela will hook up with Patrick is the only reason I'm sticking with this series, (I really do want to see her smile or blush more often, if anything). Everything else is boring the tears out of me. There's not enough tension or even some kind of foreboding to keep me interested. I'm glad to see Yumiela having some kind of feelings starting to crack that stonewall expression for Patrick because, jeez, the boyo is doing his best....
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Eleonora changing the way she spoke was a pretty good joke with that type of character

Quote:
But now that Alicia has vanished after discussing a dungeon with Yumiella, we have to wonder what public opinion will be, because if she's hurt in a dark magic dungeon, it could undo all the positives Patrick has worked to tell Edwin about Yumiella.

Alicia's eyes looked blank in that last scene, so I'm thinking she's being controlled to leave and go somewhere.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I see Yumiella's denseness is at LV. 99 even as Patrick busts his back trying to level up fast enough to feel worthy of her...even if Yumiella just thinks he's the victim of domestic battery.

So why is the Demon Lord only attacking this kingdom? Is it because it knew Alicia was going to be born in it? Is it connected to Yumiella?

I hope at some point Yumiella is more open to Eleonora. She's more than just a bubbly blonde even if she's got Edwin on the brain...but she can make that work too.

Wow, I can't believe Edwin properly apologized and expressed his feelings to Yumiella.

Yumiella would probably never get kidnapped (unless she went along with it willingly) so I guess we'll have to settle for whatever is going on with Alicia.
SteelBlaidd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:22 pm Reply with quote
For those who are too impatient to stand themselves The LNs are on Catchup this month at J-Novel. So you can read all four complete and the fifth in progress for a measley five bucks.

That said I just finished volume two and have only one thing to say about this review
Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:25 pm Reply with quote
@review I hope they dont regress the progress of this episode and the previous couple. Perhaps that is stronger stakes then any threat to Yumiella herself, re-isolating her would definitely feel like some harm and loss more than any fight.

What stuck out for me was the momentary before interrupted exchange of saying the demon lord will only affect this 1 nation.

*edit* Episode 10:
I have been anticipating game elements for a bit, given how things keep driving towards the game plot. But this episode basically confirmed it. Some force in the people of this world and its environment is trying to keep the game on track. The only thing it cant seem to deal with if Yumiella being level 99 2 years earlier then when she is meant to be.

What is curious to me is that there are also elements that seem to exist in spite of the game elements. Such as the wisdom of the King and Queen, the spy from another country and additional characters not involved in the game like Patrick.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Interesting reveal this week. Either they're in the real world that is being forced to conform to the game or perhaps they are actually in the game (or something close to it) and Alicia's actions are due to it being actually played!
Not being able to go to the last boss early could be hand waved away as defenses the demon lord set up, but it could also be because the game is programmed to prevent that scenario!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Interesting wrinkle that the game plot seems to be forcing itself onto Alicia to the point where she isn't always in control of her actions and is preventing them from encountering the Demon Lord early. Does that mean she might also be forced to fight Yumiella after they defeat the Demon Lord?

But Yumiella making Alicia go through the hardcore level grind was pretty fun (if not for Alicia). And Patrick finally gets his spear from the OP!
MKVarana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:28 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Interesting wrinkle that the game plot seems to be forcing itself onto Alicia to the point where she isn't always in control of her actions and is preventing them from encountering the Demon Lord early. Does that mean she might also be forced to fight Yumiella after they defeat the Demon Lord?

This. This is exactly what I was thinking, too. I'll bet (and please don't confirm my guess if the novels have finished) that Alicia kicks into this mode after they defeat the Maou, just like you said, but that Patrick is part of the Maou-hunting party thanks to all his power-leveling and saves Yumiella.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:50 am Reply with quote
Phew. I feel like we just went over half a novel to a whole novels worth of material in one episode. Though that might be exaggerated is certainly felt in a hurry to get the demon lord into the final episodes.

A shame we didn't get enough time to let the confession scene at the end have some proper atmosphere. One the plus side I was happy we at least got a glimpse of Yumiella dealing with her parents, they could of easily cut that thread without interfering with the main story line of the game events skewed by our lovable protagonist.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:56 pm Reply with quote
So magic-sealing handcuffs work on Yumiella...too bad she's too physical strong for it to matter.

I felt like they could have spent an entire episode on Yumiella dealing with assassins.

Rita finally becomes a typical absolutely loyal maid! All it took was Yumiella surviving posin attempts and saving her sister!

Wow, her parents look more like Eleonora's parents than Yumiella. But not only are they failures as parents and nobles, but also human beings. Nice to see Yumiella asserting dominance and taking the Countess position for her own.

I'm glad Yumiella and Patrick were able to confess their feelings. I felt like he poor guy was going to be stuck desperately trying to level up past the finale.

Wow, they really are challenging the Demon Lord in the finale? Most shows take an entire cour just to get the protagonists on the journey to defeating them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5