• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sengoku Youko

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YourNameIsMitsuha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:53 am Reply with quote
I see complaints about the shows pacing, but life doesn't wait, and I'm glad the writers aren't doing filler to slow this down. I'm really enjoying the pace and don't feeling like a single thing is missing. I wish more anime would try this. spoiler[Even last week's death was handled perfectly. Keep doing what you do!]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:35 pm Reply with quote
To think this entire plot was mainly set up by Tama's mom hooking up with Yazen and him wanting to turn her human so they can be together. Does make me wonder about her dad though.

The Mountain Goddess is great, I love how throwing naked tanuki women at warrior-types is her go-to.

Of course the most legendary warrior in this setting got that way because he just wanted to bang the Mountain Goddess.

Nice progression of Jinka's character arc. I'm guessing we'll see him reconnect with his family and his twin sooner rather than later.

Shinsuke has the best luck, huh? Succeed at the test, get stuck with the dangerous hybrid kid.
Glordit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:09 am Reply with quote
Makes me sad that Hoshi no Samidare got the short end of the stick due to the original director wanting to change much of the original story, thus making it what it is due to time and production problems.

At least White Fox pushed to have this completely adapted and they are doing a stellar job. I think the pacing is perfect, it's not too quick and each episode gives you more than enough without making it seem like it's stalling for time, or rushing along. Each and every episode has had its own subplots which is played out and then adds to the main story.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:03 am Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
Makes me sad that Hoshi no Samidare got the short end of the stick due to the original director wanting to change much of the original story, thus making it what it is due to time and production problems.

Do you have any source for this? Iirc the only change the final product had was the removal of the college girl who fell for Yuuhi, which to me was a good change
InNeedOfAName

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:45 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Glordit wrote:

Do you have any source for this? Iirc the only change the final product had was the removal of the college girl who fell for Yuuhi, which to me was a good change

Not who you replied to but Mizukami mentioned this on Twitter. The original director wanted to make some wild changes, and Mizukami ended up kicking him out.
https://twitter.com/nekogaeru/status/1753730662287421603?t=EEYLZNIXzZ-IZmKBrUYfGg&s=19
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:36 am Reply with quote
So the story of Tama's mom, a fox who fell for a priest and became the subject of his experiments which yielded numerous collateral monstrosities is basically the same as Izumo's mom in Blue Exorcist, except Izumo's mom only harbored/controlled the fox, and the priest dumped her, making her vulnerable to becoming the subject of experiments which yielded numerous collateral monstrosities, yes? Which came first?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:45 am Reply with quote
^ Sengoku Youko started publication in 2007, Blue Exorcist in 2009. No idea when those specific plot points were introduced into each though

InNeedOfAName wrote:
Not who you replied to but Mizukami mentioned this on Twitter. The original director wanted to make some wild changes, and Mizukami ended up kicking him out.
https://twitter.com/nekogaeru/status/1753730662287421603?t=EEYLZNIXzZ-IZmKBrUYfGg&s=19

I see, thank you
YourNameIsMitsuha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:50 am Reply with quote
Nicholas, you seemed to have missed a fairly large bit of key dialog: the mountain goddess isn't here just to impart exposition, I think they made it fairly clear that her mountain friend needs smacking, and that she is going to be the one doing the smacking. This elevates her above simple exposition character, and I'm personally delighted in everything that's going on. Love the 15 minute training arc. Keep this pace up, and let's see some mountain god smacking!
InNeedOfAName

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So the story of Tama's mom, a fox who fell for a priest and became the subject of his experiments which yielded numerous collateral monstrosities is basically the same as Izumo's mom in Blue Exorcist, except Izumo's mom only harbored/controlled the fox, and the priest dumped her, making her vulnerable to becoming the subject of experiments which yielded numerous collateral monstrosities, yes? Which came first?

I think Sengoku Youko came first. This episode adapted content from volume 4 which came out on April 10, 2010 while the Blue Exorcist episode adapted content from volume 15 which came out on June 4, 2015 (I'm not too sure about this one though, I haven't watched Blue Exorcist and just did some light research).
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:35 am Reply with quote
I almost feel bad for Rinzu how much puddy she is in Jinka's hands and how nobody is really happy about her joining the group. But at least Jinka's finally less racist!

Shakugan would have approved of Shinsuke letting Senya live. He's still got a strong moral character.

Here's naked Tama with meditation training. She really did seem 10 years older in her behavior in this episode. Also her plan worked...but also backfired.

Jinun in dragon form is fierce but Jinka's slowly evolving spirit transformation is getting even fiercer. Even if it cost him an arm.

Now I'm really curious about Jinun and Senya's backstory.

Never play with a Goddess.
SawachikaClass2C

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:43 pm Reply with quote
What is very concerning is what Mountain Goddess said in eating Tama or Jinka's soul when "their journey is over".
What exactly does she mean with her "their journey is over" statement?
When they finish storming that enemy headquarters?
When Jinka/Tama grow old together or dies?
Truly thats not going to be a happy ending if one of them have to sacrifice their soul or maybe both will sacrifice themselves together when the time comes for Mountain Goddess Miko to eat both souls?
Also wouldnt Shakugan wake up in a thousand years or so to find her entire team dead/eaten?
While Mountain Goddess Miko eats them alive, isnt that a form of nightmarish Hell that awaits them?
Or perhaps Miko is preparing their tombs but then to disregard and put Shinsuke to the wayside like that so that rules out the tomb theory.
Could here be a possibility for a way for Tama/Jinka to break from Miko eating their souls or is it over for them?
Any theories?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:28 am Reply with quote
It's surreal how Jinka is now the more warm, positive, and friendly one while Shinsuke is struggling with his own feelings and is dark and surly, but at least they all acknowledged each other as friends. Meanwhile Rinzu is basically just a Jinka groupie, but I still like her.

Finally explicit with Tama and Jinka's relationship and that it's more than just a surrogate sibling dynamic (though Jinka's new perspective probably helps him be a bit more honest). Though considering the Mountain Goddess' threat hanging over them, and what happened to Shinsuke and Shaku, I can't help but worry about this ship.

Yukana as Kuzunoha? No wonder Yazen is into her. I am really curious about Tama's dad though.

Douren is as based as always and Barry is as awful as ever, but will Jinka and Shinsuke survive their fated clashes and the battles yet to come? At least Jinka has a cool spirit arm now.

Also is this actually a consecutive 3-cour or a split 3-cour? Is MAL wrong about the episode count since they just changed it?
InNeedOfAName

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:13 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Also is this actually a consecutive 3-cour or a split 3-cour? Is MAL wrong about the episode count since they just changed it?

Unknown but presumably consecutive. Author has suggested it's consecutive in the past and mentioned that cour 2 and 3 will switch to a different timeslot. https://twitter.com/nekogaeru/status/1770473106328715645?t=PYoyaIFIhtzJU5LFxUzzTQ&s=19
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I thought Barry had a bit of a Mobile Armor thing going but he even made an Amuro reference! Kind of surprised his dad never hit him to be honest.

I'm glad this is 3-cour because those sudden hooded figures really stand out for how out of place they are.

I guess Shinsuke's put so much effort into Arabuki that it basically is a sentient katawara at this point, one that is most free in the air. Though it feels like Shinsuke won't feel completely free until they defeat the Dangaisyuu.

There was technically outside interference but it Douren is satisfied with that fight, I guess that's all that matters.

Of course it would all come down to a final brawl. But Barry died as the pathetic shell of a man he was.

I was actually wondering myself whether Jinka had ever called Shinsuke by name so that was a nice scene.

I love Yazen and Kuzunoha are so confident until the Mountain Goddess comes in and utterly wrecks them. Also I see Kuzunoha is so dedicated to the one she loves that she's willing to kill her own daughter in the process. No wonder Tama doesn't call her "mom."

It was obviously going to come down to Yazen vs Jinka in Spiritual Transformation mode, though despite Yazen talking about being more of a researcher than a fighter, I expect he's stronger than he looks. Will Jinka summon all nine tails to defeat him?
Glordit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:42 pm Reply with quote
InNeedOfAName wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Unknown but presumably consecutive. Author has suggested it's consecutive in the past and mentioned that cour 2 and 3 will switch to a different timeslot. https://twitter.com/nekogaeru/status/1770473106328715645?t=PYoyaIFIhtzJU5LFxUzzTQ&s=19

That tweet reads like they are talking about something unrelated to the series.

The official X/Twitter page has 13 as the final episode, for part 1. No mention of its continuation yet.
https://twitter.com/sengoku_youko/status/1773011482655027369

The timeslot for Sengoku Youko is being taken by Kaii to Otome to Kamikakushi.The Blu-rays end at vol.2 / episode 13.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4