• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gushing Over Magical Girls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Remember folks, those posting often with very positive comments for this show are liable to be termed "Gushers" Smile
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:25 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
Did anyone see this game for the anime yet? https://mahoako-anime.com/blockgame/

10/10 why game tie-ins are created.

You get a PNG download for winning. I respect that.

That said, despite the really slipshod production values, I've been enjoying this one a lot and it's a good way to break up a low action work from home day.

The anime-exclusive nipples have been a treat. I like what they went with for Kiwi and the electrocution sequence was very nice.

That said, I have been buying the manga from Fakku for a while now (they give you a DRM free PDF, which I assume is the gold standard for digital manga). Maybe it's because of how stuff is sequenced in the original manga where I feel like I'm relying more on the text than the pictures to tell what's going on, but I feel like it's significantly easier to follow what's going on in the anime even though it doesn't have the greatest of storytelling sophistication.

I'm reviewing the Kiwi intro chapters and they even add fun details like how Kiwi was about to post lewds for online clout in the anime, whereas it's just like a panel of Kiwi raging, then a panel of evil mascot thing floating in the air, then a panel of evil mascot thing showing up in Kiwi's room.

While I do wish for the Onimai or Studio Passione or whatever tier treatment, if only for the naughty bits, I feel like there's still fun to be had for the degenerates.
Nekbone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:47 pm Reply with quote
This is probably my favorite new show of the season. I find it really funny and the fanservice is obviously great.
Zomb1e13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 am Reply with quote
They seem to be having alot of fun with this one. They posted a 20 min asmr featuring Utena on KADOKAWAanime's youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pezIaN9jFY
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:39 am Reply with quote
Kudos for bringing up Nana & Kaoru which I'm up to volume 2 of the omnibuses and have been blown away with the subject matter and the superlative artwork. And I agree up to a point so far with how Gushing is nothing like Nana & Kaoru, yet...because, oh boy...things get very interesting soon....Nana and Utena are somewhat cut from the same cloth: sexually repressed young woman/girls who are exploring feeling they didn't know they had or were there but needed a nudge. Now, do we need to see this in this anime with girls so young? I didn't pick up the fact they were middle schoolers reading the manga and it is a bit cringy. I'm sure it would have worked as well if the mangaka had the girls older. But the horse is out of the stable at this point...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:08 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

That said, I have been buying the manga from Fakku for a while now (they give you a DRM free PDF, which I assume is the gold standard for digital manga).

Perhaps you meant J-Novel, instead of Fakku. J-Novel is where I am reading the weekly chapter releases and purchasing the completed volumes as they come out.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:21 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Perhaps you meant J-Novel, instead of Fakku. J-Novel is where I am reading the weekly chapter releases and purchasing the completed volumes as they come out.

Me too, and with each chapter my "Can't believe what I'm reading, yooo" rose. I'm still in disbelief it was animated AND it's not censored. And I agree with a previous post that praised Fuka Izumi, she should be paid double her salary. If not for her voice work, it wouldn't be half as good.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:48 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Fakku also sells the manga, which is odd since it's (technically) not a H-manga.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:56 am Reply with quote
Turtleboy76 wrote:
I always love shows like this where especially here, all the preview guides always rate it a 1 or 0 stars and then it turns out to be a gem of the season.

Similar to Onemai, time will tell, but its hilarious to always see that in hindsight because "urgghh titties and fetishes and age questionablity" never stop a true series from being good, a la Made in Abyss.

What I think is really crazy is that this may in fact end up being the hit of the season, at least financially. The blu-ray preorders and manga boost has been completely insane post-episode 3. Nobody saw it coming
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:20 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Actually we (J-Novel Club) sell the manga on FAKKU, too. It's the only one of our manga available on FAKKU at the moment, but since Amazon decided they didn't want to sell this particular literature, we wanted to make sure it was on as many applicable platforms as possible.

So anyway, buy it whereever you please!
09jcg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:21 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Actually we (J-Novel Club) sell the manga on FAKKU, too. It's the only one of our manga available on FAKKU at the moment, but since Amazon decided they didn't want to sell this particular literature, we wanted to make sure it was on as many applicable platforms as possible.

So anyway, buy it whereever you please!

so this topic actually popped in this reddit thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/s/FAtPC2Ztzc

Seems like this is a breakout hit and people are loving it. Any chance it can come out in nook or get a physical release?
Zomb1e13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:40 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:

Seems like this is a breakout hit and people are loving it. Any chance it can come out in nook or get a physical release?

J-novel sells a premium version that might work on the nook however you won't be able to get it directly from barnes and nobles. Its much to spicey for them and amazon.
09jcg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's the version I get but something I noticed is that quite a few people didn't even realize it's being localized at all, it's more about those guys.
Zomb1e13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, when a series gets kicked off of kindle/nook its like a game being kicked off of steam. Its why I stick to bookwalker because they will always carry a series. Just wish their app was better.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:38 pm Reply with quote
>reviewer gives show a middling(-sounding) review
>the comment section practically professes their love for the show

This is gonna be a fun season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9