• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gushing Over Magical Girls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akitainu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:17 am Reply with quote
As someone who really enjoys the manga, I'm pretty happy with the anime so far. Sure, I'd like a little more movement in the animation, and will never truly warm to the English title, but neither gripe is too serious. The characters look right, and the voice work is solid, especially Utena's VA. All in all, I'm having a good time.

Anyways, three episodes in, it is nice to see a fairly positive reception, reviewer aside, for the anime. When it was announced I was thrilled but with a touch of loathing. And the the reaction was initially just what I expected. But it really is a good story if you give it a chance. Sure, it's spicy, and a little sticky, but it can actually also be surprisingly sweet sometimes as it progresses.

I can't wait to see two of my favorite characters, Nemo and Matama, animated in a couple of episodes.

It would be real nice if this leads to a local physical release for the manga. I have the J Novel digital version, but it's not the same as a copy on the shelf.

Well, back to lurking.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:34 am Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
Those titles that didn't get dubbed probably had few people watching on Hidive Redo of Healer was Majorly Censored and I don't even know if I even heard of the other three titles you mentioned.

The other 2 titles (World End Harem and Isekai Meikyuu Harem) are Crunchyroll, not Sentai/HiDive to begin with. And they also only simulcasted the super censored release
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:12 am Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
I just tried Apple books on my Ipad, I find this much better experience reading mangas then using Kindle on my Android phone. To read with Apple books you just click on the file and it loads in Apple books, to read with Kindle you have to upload to your Kindle library first. On J-Novel club why do I have to buy coins first why can't they just let us buy using a shopping cart like normal? And I would have perferd to use PayPal instead of keeping my credit card attached to my account. All 9 volumes is 8091 coins = $80.91

I think the actual most seamless experience is to just buy on Apple Books if you have an apple device. You just click some buttons and you're ready to go right away and the actual experience of browsing books on the app is super pleasant.

(interesting: I think Apple even accepts PayPal as an option to use on your account)

I primarily recommend J-Novel Club even with the extra wall of the currency stuff since they give you a DRM free file that you have free rein with.

This is nice because you can take it anywhere: your apple device, your android device, your PC, etc.

(opening the file on PC requires converting the .EPUB file to a PDF or downloading a software from Adobe called "Adobe Digital Editions"... probably some other options, but this is what I've seen so far)

With the apple books purchase, you're stuck on apple devices, which is fine if this is the direction people want to go in.

DRM free releases are important to support since it's the most beneficial option for consumers interested in building a digital library, I think, and I felt like the general experience of going to the J Novel Club website and just paying and getting my stuff was very easy to do.

(but I also am lazy and the one-step approach will always be tempting, so it's hard to get me off of Steam despite there being a lot of good purchase options for a wide variety of good games)
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:03 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
yea thats not happening!

the fact that not even redo of healer , world end harem and harem in the labrynth of another world got ZERO english dubs when they streamed on HIDIVE more or less will tell you that this series as well as chained solider wont be getting any dubs! at all! unfortunately!

then there were other lax series like classroom for heroes which also got no dub and it wasnt as nearly as ecchi as the others, so yea! its slim to none if you ask me

The main reason why I said it was possible was because I know both seasons of Peter Grill got a dub, so being very ecchi doesn't make a dub impossible. The bar may be pretty high though compared to other non-ecchi shows and there's always the possibilty that the dubbing department is simply unwilling to touch the show. Amusingly, HIDIVE did use Utena on their Winter Simulcast banner. That probably doesn't mean much, but it could mean that HIDIVE is aware that Gushing Over Magical Girls has some potential to be popular, and it's usually the popular shows on HIDIVE that get a dub down the line (if not the season after, then on the Bluray release 6 months to a year later).
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:37 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
the fact that not even redo of healer , world end harem and harem in the labrynth of another world got ZERO english dubs when they streamed on HIDIVE more or less will tell you that this series as well as chained solider wont be getting any dubs! at all! unfortunately!

World's End Harem and Harem in the Labyrinth were (and still are) both CR shows and the former, at least, is widely-recognized as being crappy enough that even copious fan service can't save it. (I'd argue that also applies to the latter, too, but that one is more popular and rated a bit better.) And the super-ecchi To Love-Ru franchise, which is now available on HIDIVE, has gotten an English dub, so Sentai isn't averse to dubbing high-ecchi shows if they're popular enough.

IOW, I will be a bit surprised if both Gushing and Chained Soldier (which are both above-average-popularity shows) don't eventually get dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:52 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I am happy that there are others with positive reactions, because... this actually feels like one of the first that it doesn't feel like at the expense of those with Sadism and Masochism.....Most of the time it feels like just calling someone a freak and leaving it at that, but... It kind of feels she has a kink for sadism, is a confused kid and while not inherently evil is funny in being perfectly taken advantage to make a villain...

As much as there is interest around the show, I'd like to get to talking about it. And while we in the Forums have debated whether GoMG is S&M, I believe there should be some attention given to Utena more clearly being turned on to Bondage and the fact that she really didn't want to be fighting or hurting anyone. I was going to point out as you have DP that she is acting more like she doesn't know what to do being forced into this weird situation that excites her carnally, likely for the first time, by an outside agent. The spanking Ep1 and smacking this episode I think are from her not knowing what to do and so she tries something that seems might be "forbidden" as a turn on. And I'm calling unnecessary roughness on that last bit! I really hope they drop that in future.

And since we see she actually has a parent (mother) here, I would hope that since she has some sort of relationship with her, she really needs to talk about this with her. Her mom might be a bit repressive, given her and Utena's dress style, and that could be a problem but Utena could use some sage advice and her mom might have some. I can't see Kiwi-chwan being a good soundingboard...
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:13 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
World's End Harem and Harem in the Labyrinth were (and still are) both CR shows and the former, at least, is widely-recognized as being crappy enough that even copious fan service can't save it. (I'd argue that also applies to the latter, too, but that one is more popular and rated a bit better.) And the super-ecchi To Love-Ru franchise, which is now available on HIDIVE, has gotten an English dub, so Sentai isn't averse to dubbing high-ecchi shows if they're popular enough.

IOW, I will be a bit surprised if both Gushing and Chained Soldier (which are both above-average-popularity shows) don't eventually get dubs.

while that might be the case, the fact that those more well known ecchi fanservice series got zero subs says a lot. also while to love ru eventually got a dub by sentai/hidive , that wasn't the case for redo of healer.

as such, i am extremely skeptic as hell. especially after funi canceled the dub for interspecies reviewers

it would be the opposite for me for i would be surprised if gushing and chained solider did got dubs considering on how all over the place they are with anime series of their nature (and not even the fact that chained soilder's author is the same one that did akame ga kill will not move the needle.

after all, the sentai of today is far different from the sentai of the past that had no problem dubbing over the top fanservice series like queens blade rebellion, seven heavenly virtues and samurai girls/bride
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:45 am Reply with quote
There can be a lot of psychological discussion and argument over what actually is going on in Utena's head. The evil alien mascot seems to imply, that the costume and the monsters particular actions are what Utena secretly wanted deep inside. My personal mindset is that we are as people what we do, not what we think. Utena has had her innocence and personal agency taken away by the evil alien mascot. So I am willing to give Utena the benefit of the doubt. Imagine if some mascot character plumbed the depths of your mind and dredged up your deepest and darkest fantasies/dreams and made them your reality, and then forced you to live them.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

And since we see she actually has a parent (mother) here, I would hope that since she has some sort of relationship with her, she really needs to talk about this with her.

"Mom, an evil alien mascot creature forced his magical powers on me, and turned me into a barely dressed evil magical girl, that does horrible things to the good magical girls. Only I can see the evil alien mascot creature."

Yes, I think that would go over really well. "Come Utena, time for your appointment with the psychologist", would probably be the measured response from the Mom. Do we actually think the evil alien mascot character is going to let Utena's mom steal his fun. It has already been stated that the mascot creatures have powers that prevent real people from realizing the identities of the good and evil magical girls even though we in the audience can see quite clearly who they are.

As this series is not a serious anime, but an entertaining one, I doubt the creators or authors intended any 'messages' in their story. But in the end only they know for sure.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:35 am Reply with quote
I'm loving the show, specially now that they finally covered Magenta's Master Plan. This manga always felt to me like the kind people say it absolutely can't get adapted but eventually does anyway.
Quote:
Instead, the anime is lent this very sluggish, "Wait, this is still going?" vibe to its pacing

I can kind of agree with this a little. A side effect of the anime amping up the lewdness is that said scenes often get too stretched out. The opening scene this episode is supposed to be a quick intro to the "Utena is too busy" situation, but it just goes on and on.

There's also the expected but unfortunate side-effect of this production being on the cheaper side: some cool panels like this one lose most of their punch.

TarsTarkas wrote:
So I am willing to give Utena the benefit of the doubt. Imagine if some mascot character plumbed the depths of your mind and dredged up your deepest and darkest fantasies/dreams and made them your reality, and then forced you to live them.

Interestingly, that might be what a recent arc is about...

Turtleboy76 wrote:
Its gonna be like Onemai all over again, where everyone gave it a 1 star review and called fetish and pedo bait claims and then turned into a real AOTY contender.

To be fair, as a fan of the manga I wasn't very glad of the direction the anime went for and outright skipped it entirely.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:26 pm Reply with quote
A nice breather episode. It was oddly shy about showing the nudity, at least compared to the first 3, but it did have a nipslip as the punchline for the first half. I wonder if the anime will pair the Alice chapters together like it did with the Kiwi chapters, or if chapter 10's getting adapted next episode. Chapter 9 and 11 are lewd, don't get me wrong, but chapter 10 really takes off the kid gloves.

Yuvelir wrote:

To be fair, as a fan of the manga I wasn't very glad of the direction the anime went for and outright skipped it entirely.

Onimai is a pretty odd case. Adaptations getting lewder isn't that unusual, but in that case, the original manga was pretty chaste. At least Gushing over Magical Girls and Interspecies Reviewers were lewd in the first place.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:49 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
There can be a lot of psychological discussion and argument over what actually is going on in Utena's head... My personal mindset is that we are as people what we do, not what we think. Utena has had her innocence and personal agency taken away by the evil alien mascot. So I am willing to give Utena the benefit of the doubt...
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
... she really needs to talk about this with her.
"Mom, an evil alien mascot creature forced his magical powers on me, and turned me into a barely dressed evil magical girl, that does horrible things to the good magical girls. Only I can see the evil alien mascot creature." Yes, I think that would go over really well.

As this series is not a serious anime, but an entertaining one, I doubt the creators or authors intended any 'messages' in their story...
We see that the general populace know and acknowledge Magical Girls exist and all Utena would have to do to prove her story is say "Trans Magia" in front of her mom and follow up by saying that aliens are behind the MG if that isn't generally known and one did this to her.

Yes, this is a fantasy comedy (?) and I am not inclined to analyze this very seriously but as some have declared that Utena's sexual orientation has been exposed as "BDSM-Dom" I say that is not a given based on her actions as well as words. We see Magenta beginning to doubt Utena is really intent on hurting the Tres Magia and I wouldn't be surprised if the author is setting up to explore how the girls are being used and abused on both sides. Maybe Magenta will try to help Utena out of her predicament.
TCX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:36 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
while that might be the case, the fact that those more well known ecchi fanservice series got zero subs says a lot. also while to love ru eventually got a dub by sentai/hidive , that wasn't the case for redo of healer.

as such, i am extremely skeptic as hell. especially after funi canceled the dub for interspecies reviewers

it would be the opposite for me for i would be surprised if gushing and chained solider did got dubs considering on how all over the place they are with anime series of their nature (and not even the fact that chained soilder's author is the same one that did akame ga kill will not move the needle.

after all, the sentai of today is far different from the sentai of the past that had no problem dubbing over the top fanservice series like queens blade rebellion, seven heavenly virtues and samurai girls/bride

The only example you ended up giving from sentai/hidive was Redo of healer, everything else got zero to do with them.

Meanwhile since redo, they dubbed all the ecchi shows they got (Mother of the Goddess' Dormitory, peter grill (s1+s2) )...aka the trend is keep doing these dubs(as long as the shows stream well obv), redo was the exception that confirms the rule.
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:30 am Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
On J-Novel club why do I have to buy coins first why can't they just let us buy using a shopping cart like normal?

It's a long story. It used to be for tax reasons; when the company first started, it wasn't common to require state sales tax when paying for digital currency, so paying for digital currency then exchanging currency for books was a way to keep costs simple and cheaper, for everyone, at the expense of some extra clicks.

Now, we have in fact added state sales tax to all transactions, so it might be time to rethink how coins work. However, that would be a significant programming project to overhaul the purchasing system to remove those extra clicks, so it wouldn't be a high priority just for that. Maybe we'll have bandwidth to do it in the future.

About the show, I haven't watched it yet, but I do enjoy the manga, so I'm happy that people seem to like it! I look forward to starting!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:18 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
There can be a lot of psychological discussion and argument over what actually is going on in Utena's head. The evil alien mascot seems to imply, that the costume and the monsters particular actions are what Utena secretly wanted deep inside. My personal mindset is that we are as people what we do, not what we think. Utena has had her innocence and personal agency taken away by the evil alien mascot. So I am willing to give Utena the benefit of the doubt. Imagine if some mascot character plumbed the depths of your mind and dredged up your deepest and darkest fantasies/dreams and made them your reality, and then forced you to live them.

I'd say she's lying to the world who she really is and that person is blase. Braize? Is it Engrish by way of French or is the pun accidental?

Here's my counterpoint: Utena was freed when she became a magical girl. Her innocence wasn't lost but rather who she was came out for the world to grovel at her feet. Gasp, a gay middle schooler, how... it had to happen eventually. Is the problem she's also a little extra? 3 out of the 4 girls she's with have no qualms and the fourth is complaining more about sexual frustration than anything else.
Metaphorically, of course.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That leaves only the most titillated (and yours truly) around for this fourth episode.

Well, as a viewer who's far older than most people here, I can aver that I am neither titillated by cartoons nor offended by the show. I've lived through a lot more moral panics than most of you, and they all come to nothing in the end. I'm still watching Gushing because it makes me laugh. That's all I ask of a comedy, after all. Most ecchi shows I sample, like Peter Grill, I don't find funny or interesting in other ways so I've quickly dropped them. This one I do find funny, and I do actually like the characters, so I'll stick with it. It's only 20 minutes a week for three months, after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9