• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: 7th Time Loop: The Villainess Enjoys a Carefree Life

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:00 am Reply with quote
I agree with you One-Eye. However, he did allude to the fact that if he had accepted the Princess's offer right off the bat, it would have resulted in big losses for the company. I have no idea how that could have happened, so if the show had wanted to make his opposition credible, it should have passed along that info. But yeah, right now it comes off as an inelegant plot contrivance.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I thought his behavior was in keeping with the character we've known. He's a free spirit, who wants to make big profits not for the sake of getting rich, but for the fun and enjoyment of it - and profit is the proof that he's in charge of his life. Kowtowing to nobility might yield profits, but likely with strings attached, or to him, a leash. He wants to trade goods he thinks are marvelous, and her original offer looked like he'd be roped into trading only what she wanted, whether he thought it was a good trade or not. Also, if he yielded to her status, what's to prevent her from using her power to keep calling him back to deal with her, on her terms? He wanted to establish the ground rules from the start.

The losses he foresaw for the company I thought were relative. Sure he could make a profit supplying her, but he thinks he could make a lot more if he plays things more shrewdly, and also has fun doing it. He felt she had more on the line than just a wedding dress, and that was something he could use to finagle a more equal partnership rather than a simple trade.

Basically, he's not afraid of her or her status and power, and if she tried to coerce him, it would a) prove he was right not to trade with her and b) would just mean leaving the country and trading elsewhere and keeping his freedom.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, sorry, Gina, I don't buy any of that. A story shouldn't require complicated assumptions. He's a merchant. She is a potentially lucrative client. Offending her or making it difficult for her to buy stuff from him makes zero sense, full stop.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:53 pm Reply with quote
But they're not assumptions, they're established character traits. In her first loop, he made it clear he wasn't your average trader motivated solely by what profits were immediately at hand. He was in it for the bigger picture of choosing his clients, and because it was more fun and exciting to operate that way.

And if I can figure it out, it's not complicated. Smile
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:08 pm Reply with quote
And of course, the fact that he's not afraid of potentially angering Arnold is exactly why she's picking him. She's only nominally contracting him to supply her wedding. The real aim here is to recruit him and his connections into her quiet rebellion. She needs this aspect his character because she fully expects that she might need to use him to oppose Arnold at some later date.

I agree that the downsides he saw weren't exactly well communicated. Potentially the problem is that the aristocracy and royalty are notoriously bad at paying their debts to commoners? And especially with royalty it isn't exactly easy to pursue them for debts. (I know in the UK it was a significant issue with some monarchs). There's obviously something fairy sus with the family anyway, and I guess with all his connections Kain might have more of an idea of that than Rishe does and doesn't want to touch them with a barge pole.

So while as a merchant you'd expect him to pursue any opportunity for profit and to expand his connections... it's also true that some connections are poisonous, and best avoided. If Riche can however demonstrate that she's worth his trust, that mitigates some of his concerns and he'll then be more than happy to take their money.

Last edited by Thesarum on Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But they're not assumptions, they're established character traits. In her first loop, he made it clear he wasn't your average trader motivated solely by what profits were immediately at hand. He was in it for the bigger picture of choosing his clients, and because it was more fun and exciting to operate that way.

Established character traits? The guy had what... maybe two minutes of screentime in the first episode? He barely established his name let alone anything else. Thesarum's explanation of why he might be leery of what seems like a golden opportunity is at least somewhat plausible but still requires a fair amount of assumptions. Not good story-telling.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Thesarum's explanation of why he might be leery of what seems like a golden opportunity is at least somewhat plausible but still requires a fair amount of assumptions. Not good story-telling.

Especially since my explanation included such a fine example of the english language as "with royalty isn't not exactly easy"... (now fixed)

I do agree that while we probably don't need a full economics lesson, it would have been better for Kain to provide at least some outline of how those massive losses would have arisen. The empire not paying up? Other clients cutting ties due to the royal family being a bit toxic? The general difficulty of obtaining goods of a quality and quantity for an imperial wedding? All of the above? Something more detailed than "meh, I can't really be bothered with it".

Though it seems the show wants to keep at least some of the intrigue of what turns Arnold from the decent if cold guy he currently is into the warmonger Rishe believed him to be from previous loops under its hat for now. Maybe the explanation would give too much away... but you feel that's an issue good writing could solve.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Ah, my dear Thesarum... I have already solved the mystery of Arnie's turn from cold but decent to rampaging war-monger. See, in Rishe's previous lives Arnie did not experience the soul-cleansing love of a good woman. The 7th Loop is about to change all that and that will make all the difference. Wink
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ah, my dear Thesarum... I have already solved the mystery of Arnie's turn from cold but decent to rampaging war-monger. See, in Rishe's previous lives Arnie did not experience the soul-cleansing love of a good woman. The 7th Loop is about to change all that and that will make all the difference. Wink

Basically he was an incel with a bratty younger brother? But now he's got a pink haired polymath to stick up for him he'll be fine?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Established character traits? The guy had what... maybe two minutes of screentime in the first episode? He barely established his name let alone anything else.

But in that short time they did establish the personality quirks I outlined that make him a non-standard trader. It doesn't require any leap of imagination to think that he's looking at a bigger picture than immediate profits, and that he's drawing that picture based on his confidence in his intuition and ability to read people, which he bragged about repeatedly. You may remain unconvinced, but it works for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Basically he was an incel with a bratty younger brother? But now he's got a pink haired polymath to stick up for him he'll be fine?

See, unlike Gina you get this show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Established character traits? The guy had what... maybe two minutes of screentime in the first episode? He barely established his name let alone anything else.

But in that short time they did establish the personality quirks I outlined that make him a non-standard trader. It doesn't require any leap of imagination to think that he's looking at a bigger picture than immediate profits, and that he's drawing that picture based on his confidence in his intuition and ability to read people, which he bragged about repeatedly. You may remain unconvinced, but it works for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All kidding aside, you could very well be right. I'd have to go watch and rewatch the first episode to see if your interpretation is credible. I think we both know how likely an event my bone laziness makes that... Confused
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:21 am Reply with quote
Rishe has quickly become one of my favorite femme leads, I really appreciate how motivated she is and having read ahead a bit in the manga I am excited for dear brother to spoiler[enter his "find out" phase.]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:36 am Reply with quote
Theodore thinking he could intimidate Rishe with the threat of Arnold killing her as if that hasn't happened to her six times already. Though the point about him killing his own mother (not Theodore's?) is probably important, but I guess Rishe knows better than to ask him about it right after learning that tidbit.

Is Theodore genuinely afraid of Arnold or is that more of just his acting?

Who is the real Arnold? It seems like he projects part of his cruel and mercilessness as a front when he is far more caring and considerate than he looks, and Rishe sees and believes in that part of him. All the same she finds herself drawn to him and opening up to him in a way she never has with anyone else, not even herself. And that all culminates in their first kiss (and the first kiss she's had in all her 7 Loops).

To be honest I feel like makeup has shown up in a bunch of Isekai/Villainess stories that just focusing on nail-polish feels genuinely novel.

Things really came together in this business deal. Not only is Rishe really owning up to being the crown princess now, doing what she can to benefit the common people and building up the economy by creating more jobs, but she is able to save Kaine's ailing little sister from her 1st Loop by using her medical knowledge from her 2nd Loop.

Rishe is so competent and capable and not even she could avoid the dreaded kidnapping cliche. Then again she's so capable that she'll probably be able to get her out of this situation (with Arnold likely on his way). I wonder if Elsie will help having realized Rishe is genuine or if they came up with a plan off-screen?
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:37 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Theodore thinking he could intimidate Rishe with the threat of Arnold killing her as if that hasn't happened to her six times already. Though the point about him killing his own mother (not Theodore's?) is probably important, but I guess Rishe knows better than to ask him about it right after learning that tidbit.

At this stage I'm reserving judgement on the truth of that particular "revelation". From what we've seen so far it seems entirely more in character for the matricide to be Theodore. The exception to this could be if mother dearest was up to something nefarious.

MFrontier wrote:
Is Theodore genuinely afraid of Arnold or is that more of just his acting?

Pretty sure it's the latter? It seemed to be entirely for Rishe's benefit. I'm not sure he's figured out that she's not buying any of what he's selling just set.

MFrontier wrote:
Rishe is so competent and capable and not even she could avoid the dreaded kidnapping cliche. Then again she's so capable that she'll probably be able to get her out of this situation (with Arnold likely on his way). I wonder if Elsie will help having realized Rishe is genuine or if they came up with a plan off-screen?

These things seem equally likely. I hope either way Rishe is able to save her from Arnolds inevitable extreme displeasure. Because this is exactly the sort of thing that I imagine does get you killed by him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4