• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: 7th Time Loop: The Villainess Enjoys a Carefree Life

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Either she's planned something with Elsie, or she knew the tea was doped due to her pharmaceutical skills from her previous life, a la Maomao in Apothecary Diaries.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I really have a hard time believing that Elsie is a fink. Clearly, Rishe is playing 5-D chess and has cooked something up with her trusty servants. Bank it.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:51 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Either she's planned something with Elsie, or she knew the tea was doped due to her pharmaceutical skills from her previous life, a la Maomao in Apothecary Diaries.

In this case she has simply run herself out of steam. I believe the anime is skipping a plot line, or displacing it, about Riche's attempt to get her body back to something closer to the level of stamina she had in her previous two loops, but just trying to do that, along with all of the other stuff going on, has left her exhausted.

Blood- wrote:
I really have a hard time believing that Elsie is a fink. Clearly, Rishe is playing 5-D chess and has cooked something up with her trusty servants. Bank it.

It's explained better in the books, but Elsie depends upon support from Theodore to take care of her siblings in the slums and has for years. She also was placed in the pool of candidates because of him.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:00 am Reply with quote
I was a bit sad for some of the loss of context, but I LOVED the juxtaposition of Rishe's daring escape while she was monologuing about the proper way to capture someone which was probably one of the most raw speeches I've ever seen a femme lead give in Anime/Manga. It was great.

I've read a bit ahead in the manga but this is still speculation since the manga has yet to fully unfold everything, I definitely think the fact that Theodore lives is going to be very important. Based on her past recollection of not even knowing Theodore existed, it seems like in all her other loops he successfully committed suicide, so his continued presence will likely be a piece of the puzzle in terms of preventing the horrible war to come.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:14 am Reply with quote
The review of Episode 6 is missing an important element. While it appears, on the surface, that Theodore might have been trying to get the attention of his brother, and he claimed that was the case, Rishe stated that his real goal was to be declared a criminal, exiled at the least, and removed from the succession list for the Empire. The reasoning behind this is that BOTH Theodore and Rishe see a self-destructive pattern of behavior in Arnold. His actions as the Crown Prince inside the Empire have been very much for the good of his people as a whole. He has passed many laws that have benefited the poor as well as the nobility. However, as Rishe knows very well, his reputation outside of the Empire is that he is some kind of monster who has no respect for human life. spoiler[At one point I think Rishe realizes that his brutality in war leads to quicker surrender by his opponents and, therefore, less loss of life than things like prolonged sieges. Making that a strange display of his kindness as well.]

To both Rishe and Theodore, this seems like Arnold laying the groundwork for his own demise and, in Theodore's case, he was trying to remove the option of leaving the Empire to his Brother to rule.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:22 am Reply with quote
Azure Chrysanthemum wrote:
I was a bit sad for some of the loss of context, but I LOVED the juxtaposition of Rishe's daring escape while she was monologuing about the proper way to capture someone which was probably one of the most raw speeches I've ever seen a femme lead give in Anime/Manga. It was great.

I've read a bit ahead in the manga but this is still speculation since the manga has yet to fully unfold everything, I definitely think the fact that Theodore lives is going to be very important. Based on her past recollection of not even knowing Theodore existed, it seems like in all her other loops he successfully committed suicide, so his continued presence will likely be a piece of the puzzle in terms of preventing the horrible war to come.

I totally agree about that speech AND the presentation in the Anime! It was brilliant!

And, yeah... I couldn't stop and read all 4 light novels that are available in English... so... sigh... I just get to try to figure out what they're skipping.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:34 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:

I totally agree about that speech AND the presentation in the Anime! It was brilliant!

And, yeah... I couldn't stop and read all 4 light novels that are available in English... so... sigh... I just get to try to figure out what they're skipping.

This one has definitely hit a pretty high priority for me in terms of light novels, but I'm in the process of collecting Ascendance of a Bookworm and I'd like to get the Apothecary Diaries light novels too. We do 2 light novels or manga a month for my wife and myself, so it's like, so many choices but so few books allocated!
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:18 pm Reply with quote

One of the stand-out sequences of the season for me.

And you don't really expect a well put together fight sequence in a shojo romance with a pink haired heroine.

I loved how her monologue steadily got more unhinged as she closed the distance to Theo. I'm still not entirely sure how serious she was about breaking all their limbs and then tieing them up that way...

Also, shout out to Arnold and his utter confidence that Theodore couldn't confine Rishe ("Locked, is it? And there's a window? <lolol>"). I expected him to be that ice-cold angry, but instead he just thought it was ridiculous that anyone, let alone Theodore, could deny a force like his fiancee. He's so smug about it. And about being entirely right about it. Pretty sure he only turned up so he could see Theodore's face when she stormed in...

zensunni wrote:

This one has definitely hit a pretty high priority for me in terms of light novels, but I'm in the process of collecting Ascendance of a Bookworm and I'd like to get the Apothecary Diaries light novels too. We do 2 light novels or manga a month for my wife and myself, so it's like, so many choices but so few books allocated!

Yep. Added to the reading list for when time and budget allow.
SteelBlaidd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:07 pm Reply with quote
As a martial arts geek, watching Rishe fight properly as someone who has to meet strength with dex was just great.

Looking forward to reading the LNs.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I knew Rishe would be able to get herself out of her own kidnapping, and I knew there was a chance she was in on it with Elsie and Karim's help, but I didn't expect her to solo several dozen guys in the process and then lecture Theodore on the proper way to handle prisoners. What a woman. And of course Arnold expected it the whole time.

Kind of curious where she learned the stuff about prisoners from. Her time as a knight? Or the mysterious 5th Loop?

So ultimately both brothers cared about each other but had a bad way of expressing it and both had a problem with self-sacrificing. It seems like Arnold in particular acts so cold and distant not because he cares but because he already sees a future without him in it, and that's his endgoal. But now Rishe and Theodore are working to save him.

Rishe is a stellar crown princess. Improves her husband and brother-in-law's relationships and not only creates jobs in the slum but works with Theodore to better improve said slums.
utawoutau

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 6 was a pile of turds. Too much sappy melodrama that was backed by the absolute lack of stakes. I had high hopes for this show, but if we get more of this, I’m out.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting another Rishe vs Arnold sword fight (with some bondage on top of it) but it was cool getting another action sequence and to see Rishe continue to improve herself as a swordswoman. Kind of ironic that Arnold is jealous of the future version of himself Rishe still sees herself as fighting, especially when said future version of himself killed her.

Find a husband who enjoys all your crazy stunts and totally supports them. If only Rishe could take his compliments sincerely, he's more honest about them than Rishe is about just living a carefree life.

Arnold's charms are even more dangerous to Rishe than his sword. That yell when he princess carried her!

I wasn't expecting an intimate bedroom scene, but it shows the couples' developing closeness and feelings for each other quite well. And also puts it out there how Arnold has lived a life lacking in comfort and care since childhood.

I knew Rishe admired Arnolds forces and wanted to learn about their training, and she obviously wants to build her body back up to the level it was at during the 6th Loop, but I didn't expect her to grab a wig, become a boy, and enlist. She pulled an Aileen! Now I can't wait for Arnold to catch the new recruit.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:04 pm Reply with quote
The fact that this girl is incapable of relaxing and taking it easy is honestly so relatable. I get that on a visceral level.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:28 am Reply with quote
Ah... the arc about improving her stamina wasn't out of order... it was my recall of the storyline that was faulty. Lol! She has ample evidence so far that she needs to improve her stamina and, to some extent, her strength, if she wants to be able to do the type of things she has been accustomed to in her past couple of loops... so... why not force Theodore to arrange a spot for her as a "boy from the slums with no background" in the Cadet training program? What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

As to Rishe's inability to follow through with her stated goal to relax and live a carefree life... I think she would consider her current actions, and anything up to the first five years, to be preparation for SURVIVING beyond her 20th birthday and attaining the ability to live a carefree life going forward... though she originally seemed to want to relax for the entire loop. (Let's face it... she won't be able to do that even when she survives past 5 years any more than Caterina in "My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!" would be able to think her way out of a problem.)
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of curious if the chest bindings are part of the reason she's struggling to run with the guys and not just because she's a girl. Although Ikumi Hasegawa doing a boy voice as Rishe is hilarious.

Theodore has basically become the audience in looking forward to the moment Arnold catches Rishe in the act.

Oh hey, Kazuhiko Inoue! Count Lawvine seems pretty cool but you have to wonder why he's yet another person destined to be killed by Arnold in the future.

Elsie is best maid for dressing up her mistress for a date with her hubby.

All that subterfuge just so Rishe could pick out a wedding ring! Best of all, she picks one in the color of Arnolds' eye! She is down bad!

I'm looking forward to getting to know more about Rishe's 3rd Loop now that the Coyolle kingdom is here. Seems like there role is not as simple as Rishe needing to cure the prince again. I'm assuming we'll also see the Daisuke Ono character again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4