• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Urusei Yatsura [2024-01-16]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:41 am Reply with quote
This is probably the most character focus Shinobu has gotten since her date with Ryunosuke (and funnily enough her "admirer" is in there too!)

I love how the female uniforms are Bunny Girl outfits just as an excuse to dress up Lum and Shinobu as Bunny Girls. And they look great!

MILF Lum is quite the sight even if she's with men you'd ordinarily never expect her to end up with as focused as she is on Ataru.

Ataru got that sitcom dad look in adulthood.

Did not expect to see Mendo smoking as an adult. But he still has the insatiable need to take down Moroboshi.

Spinster Ran living on pure spite is perfect.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:29 pm Reply with quote
This is what I really like about this series, it's not all crazy wackiness, it can pull out the sadness when it wants to. Yes, this anime is all over the place and character development takes a back seat, but I'm all in with these half stories. They have just enough plot with the myriad of characters this series has to get every emotion out of me, mainly happily stupid laughter, but that second story with the ghost girl holding onto Ataru with the look she gave him was so emotionally satisfying it's the first time it got a tear out of me and that's saying something when it has the reputation that it has historically, (I've haven't watched one iota of the original). I look forward to this show every week for a good laugh, but damn that second half got me good.

Last edited by njprogfan on Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:09 pm Reply with quote
They're doing a great job balancing out the wackiness with the heartwarming and sincere stuff this season.
LoopyChew
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting her to already be a ghost, although I suppose the fact that Sakura has the diary should have been an indicator.

Still, it did a fantastic job humanizing Ataru and, regardless of how cute the ghost was, him acting like a gentleman was just lovely.

I understand the original manga didn't have a definitive "happily ever after" ending, and last week's time travel portal story suggested that maybe there shouldn't be one at all. But I also wonder if they're going to finish off this revival with something that feels like one.
ChrisKris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:57 pm Reply with quote
The 2nd part of this episodfe "Last Date"
Was kind of touching.
I enjoyed it! (I felt sad for Nozomi)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:53 pm Reply with quote
"I hate gossiping flowers", ( ep 135 in old UY ), was a much better episode, IMHO.

And the "investigation" didn't strike me as even average for UY. Mostly a nothing burger episode.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Going full on comedy with this segment! Complete with detective show cliche's and Lum and Ran actually working together for once!

Also Shinobu is probably never going to ship herself with Mendo any more!
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Just in time for the gossiping flowers ep, we get the original eps streaming on Crunchy. So y'all can check it out if a person hasn't seen it before. Although Crunchy has chosen to list all the TV eps in one block under Season 1, which makes for an annoying amount of scrolling, if searching isn't convenient. Sad
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Say what you will about Lum or her feelings for Ataru, she loves him enough to do anything to save him...and even Ran knows when to cut Lum a break for once when she sees how upset Lum is.

I'm glad Onsen-sensei finally got a break with Lum's family...even if he can't leave...also, nice touch having OG!Lum and New!Lum engage in a conversation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2