• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:49 am Reply with quote
I’m so bored at this point. I loved the beginning of the series, but considering the next episode will probably be part 2 of the flashback . . . I’m just sitting here shaking my head at the wasted potential.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:38 am Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:
I’m so bored at this point. I loved the beginning of the series, but considering the next episode will probably be part 2 of the flashback . . . I’m just sitting here shaking my head at the wasted potential.

Agreed, except I actual welcomed the flashback as a break from the tedium of the main story. Apparently, flashbacks are the only way we're gonna get some demon-human battles, so be it.
primalmaximus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Damn. I'm surprised they showed us what happened with Rose's old crew. The manga didn't reveal that until just a few chapters ago.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:21 pm Reply with quote
primalmaximus wrote:
Damn. I'm surprised they showed us what happened with Rose's old crew. The manga didn't reveal that until just a few chapters ago.

Now that is curious. So the material is being purposefully slowed down. Probably to make the finale match up to the resolution of the current oncoming conflict. But that would indicate that they are only going to spend 2 episodes on what appears to be a country wide invasion, instead of a raid.

Then again this country appears to only have 1 city and 1 town, so perhaps you could only call it a fiefdom or petty kingdom as opposed to a proper great kingdom.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:44 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
primalmaximus wrote:

Now that is curious. So the material is being purposefully slowed down. Probably to make the finale match up to the resolution of the current oncoming conflict.

That seems to be the case.

At the anime's current pace so far, source readers say the current season is likely to cover up to the beginning of LN Vol 2 (the current story arc ends at Vol 2). And there is still a lot of material left to cover (1st series ran for 12 volumes from 2016-2020, and the recently restarted 2nd series which released its Vol 1 in Dec 2023).

It is interesting that the adaptation staff are choosing to cover the content more slowly, unlike others out there which do like 4-5 novels in 12-13 episodes.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah this is me done. I'm out. Too little action animated in a meager way. 8 episodes in and we get THAT? Yeah, nah. Im out.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:25 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
Yeah this is me done. I'm out. Too little action animated in a meager way. 8 episodes in and we get THAT? Yeah, nah. Im out.

But... but... what about all those AWESOME scenes with Buddy carrying that blue grizzly bear on his back??? WEREN'T YOU FASCINATED???
baianojack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:45 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Cryten wrote:
primalmaximus wrote:

Now that is curious. So the material is being purposefully slowed down. Probably to make the finale match up to the resolution of the current oncoming conflict.

That seems to be the case.

At the anime's current pace so far, source readers say the current season is likely to cover up to the beginning of LN Vol 2 (the current story arc ends at Vol 2). And there is still a lot of material left to cover (1st series ran for 12 volumes from 2016-2020, and the recently restarted 2nd series which released its Vol 1 in Dec 2023).

It is interesting that the adaptation staff are choosing to cover the content more slowly, unlike others out there which do like 4-5 novels in 12-13 episodes.

Honestly the source material has very little action in it. It is a lot of world building and setup and then about 2 episodes worth of action. Rinse and repeat. Based on episode count I expected this to save up for last few episodes to cover the invasion and maybe end on the aftermath to set up season 2. I still like the series and just enjoy the character interactions. Still better show than most I’ve watched in the last few months.
pip25

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:23 am Reply with quote
I thought I'd read the reviews to see if it gets any better after dropping it, but it looks like even the reviewer gave up. Laughing
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Not bad but also clearly the production cant quite handle the scale of the battlefield of the 10th episode.

Immediately on seeing the puzzle boss I was thinking: Why not just attack the parts that arnt human? You cant harm in reflection (really should be called refraction since it isnt a simple reflect spell) the parts a human doesnt have. Oh no! My non existent tentacles have been cut or exploded.

In a DnD scenario this is where you would rely on sealing and / or binding to contain a foe that cannot be damaged. I also note the story dodged the idea of magical warfare at scale.

I wonder what super punch, alluded to in the intro, will amount to. Will it just be your normal shonen smash. Or will there be some thought behind it? Despite all the action this episode really is just more setup, as no achievements or steps occurred outside of people learning the battlefield.
chronium

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:

Immediately on seeing the puzzle boss I was thinking: Why not just attack the parts that arnt human? You cant harm in reflection (really should be called refraction since it isnt a simple reflect spell) the parts a human doesnt have. Oh no! My non existent tentacles have been cut or exploded.

Nothing in the character design could not also be found on a human.

Cryten wrote:

I wonder what super punch, alluded to in the intro, will amount to. Will it just be your normal shonen smash. Or will there be some thought behind it? Despite all the action this episode really is just more setup, as no achievements or steps occurred outside of people learning the battlefield.

I figure it would be a "cancer" punch where you over heal the opponent so there is no damage to reflect.
Mikan-box Glasses-kun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:42 am Reply with quote
Can I be the dissenting voice here and say I wish more fantasy anime were like this? Some of my early favorites when getting into anime were Moribito and Beast Player Erin, and I love that they were more about setting up character and political drama so when shit eventually hit the fan you knew exactly what's at stake with every action characters take. To be fair, Healing Magic isn't anywhere near as elegantly written as those two series, but it at least understands that you need good character work and solid footing to make anything matter, and I appreciate that far more than having some extra meaningless fights earlier. (And honestly, the series has never had great animation, so those meaningless fights wouldn't have even looked all that good anyway.)
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:18 pm Reply with quote
chronium wrote:
Cryten wrote:

Nothing in the character design could not also be found on a human.

Tentacles and slime. On attacking those are non human body parts. Thats what I meant.
I hope we get a kind of Naruto moment of proving. Where the character acts incompressible but also just does what is needed. (hopefully without side commentary, I prefer the post commentary method).
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:49 am Reply with quote
Mikan-box Glasses-kun wrote:
Can I be the dissenting voice here and say I wish more fantasy anime were like this? Some of my early favorites when getting into anime were Moribito and Beast Player Erin, and I love that they were more about setting up character and political drama so when shit eventually hit the fan you knew exactly what's at stake with every action characters take. To be fair, Healing Magic isn't anywhere near as elegantly written as those two series, but it at least understands that you need good character work and solid footing to make anything matter, and I appreciate that far more than having some extra meaningless fights earlier. (And honestly, the series has never had great animation, so those meaningless fights wouldn't have even looked all that good anyway.)

I feel you wholeheartedly, but had until doubling back here and seeing this post, opted to hold off until a one more episode or the rest outright were released.

The action has been serviceable, and my issue there is less to do with the placement and more the boring fight choreography and bog standard foundations of the magical setting -- albeit with a "Healer" perspective I genuinely rarely see! Which is to say, it's a production issue, not a narrative one, even if those two absolutely can and frequently do dovetail in meaningful ways (looking at you BUCCHIGIRI?! if from a whole different angle. I feel like the fact that episode 6, what I would call one of the best episodes -- certainly one I saw especially praised to my memory -- was rooted in two people who had only surface level ideas of each other coming upon an incisive part of their shared growth, and said growth was entirely about their honesty with each other in the face of a terrifying task. Heck, it even allowed the the best character... sorry, I meant to say the best character, be equal parts goofy and super sincere in living her best life while letting her reflect on what a hollow life she lived in her previous world. Like, even if I "only" consider this a high 6 as it were (which is still good!), that conversation really struck a chord with me.

It's got some fun(ny) action in spots, though it's also for better and worse not really been about the action to me? Our healing dweeb's early character crystallization came about from pushing his limit and finding something to believe in himself in and truly feeling the desire to save, not so much that he did some sick moves. Not that I didn't smile when he used his magic in just the right ways. I do think it's a touch uneven in parts and that that coincides with some uninteresting action directing in unfortunate ways which highlight the bad side of its simplicity, though its that same familiar simplicity wrapped up in world eschewing plentiful frustrating elements with simply likable characters in tow, that made me enjoy episodes 1-3. And it still is more-or-less that, and it's still more-or-less held up to my expectations: I want to see these dorks succeed in their own straightforward goals as I'm along for the ride. On top of that, for as basic as it is, I'd say their respective drives reflect an understanding of what isekai can in fact do when it's treated as more than fantasy with extra steps.

(Also, thanks for reminding me of Erin, that's been a real white whale of mine. I adored the first few episodes I saw in a way that few other anime have scratched its particular itch, but it's still been a white whale, of sorts, of mine. Hopefully I can get to prioritizing it next year...?)
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:25 am Reply with quote
I will chip in and say I also like it for its willingness to take its time and work on its characters. I consider it a plus point that it has not skipped its core details to get to the action. I do also recognise that the pacing can easily lose plenty of viewers.

Tsukimichi this season is the opposite. It skips most if not all of its world buildings and replaces it with being goofy and rushing to the action bits. People not familiar with it have enjoyed it somewhat, but a lot of people invested in its story have been disappointed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4