• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm Reply with quote
If your in it for isekai action I can totally understand being disappointed. But I like the show for its character work. And while it isnt a new apothecary dairies or ascendance of a bookworm in strong writing, it is enjoyable for myself. I like seeing these characters interact and have had a good time with it.

Perhaps the biggest downfall of the story is the simple issue that its premise is preparing a battle hero for battle and rescuing lives. Which would mentally imply that the battle was the important bit. And yet the show proved that the battle was the least important part of the story. Its these character moments that this episode was covering that mattered most, and was its better material.

So I am just gonna have to say that, for me at least, the reviewer and myself are on different pages. I accept your criticism of you not getting your stimulating battle show, but that does not matter to me. I like the show I was given.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:21 am Reply with quote
The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic is fun not boring sorry if you expected some plot twists and some detailed plot imo
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I had a smile on my face pretty much throughout. It was equal parts adorable and hilarious watching Felm get integrated into the squad as one of their own much the same way Usato did, and following in his footsteps as she figures out what she wants to do. It took me far too long to realize (10 episodes), but I'm reminded of Dupree's comment in the Preview Guide about the skate-rock OP sending him "back to 2007," and yeah, befitting its nature, the entire tone and level of stakes reminds me of the variously unfinished, dangerous-yet-cozy, fantasy books I read as a kid that were just nice to lose myself in. It's comfortable, certainly, and the cast are just as much -- ending on the notes of connections made along the way, from Kazuki and Suzune gaining a suitor / respect for simply trying their honest best with what's in front of them, Amako realizing she's actually got quite a few people in her corner, dumbass Usato finally finding getting Felm's name and acclimating her more to the family the only way he knows how, it was all just nice. (Indeed, as I'd describe much of the show, in all that entails.)

I very much welcomed a return to the tomfoolery with Felm reacting in such comical ways, not missing out on goofy expressiveness either (lost track in general of how many times a show had all except that to really make me smile). Speaking of her, Y. Aoi's range and skill were so much more on display here and I was delighted, even just in the range to her pouting, let alone the dry wit of her monologue on a personal level. Sensible reasoning for why Usato and co. had to get asked, so I'm not fussed about him actually being the main guy of a character's life thinking about how it all shakes out. (Sure, he is POV character, but I've not gotten "The Main Character" vibes altogether.) And, of course, "traditionally scary person is scared by 'weaker' people even more outrageously gung-ho" rarely fails to make me smile and this was no exception. Hearing her be as whiny and petulant as Usato was is just fun, heh.

Kazuki's parts felt like kind of an after-thought, reflecting some of its weaker issues in terms of fully making every character excellent; though given I'd call no one in particular so much as great, but pleasantly good, that's an easy thing to deal with. And of course, Suzune kept amusing as she goes beyond breaking her own flags and more removing the dialogue options entirely for her overeager self, for she is interested in a boy who only knows how to be thoughtful by accident, when speaking from the heart.

Really, despite my words last time, those last few minutes made me happy enough that I do think I'd come around for a sequel. This show has consistently bumped up my energy and spirits weekly, so I think it's the only honest angle on that matter.
Mikan-box Glasses-kun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I think InfiniteNothingness basically covered my thoughts on the show, lol, so I guess I'll just add that I really enjoyed my time with the series and definitely will come back for any hypothetical future seasons (and maybe pick up the light novels). Plus it was a major treat to hear Aoi Yuuki in this; I somehow missed her casting announcement, but I immediately recognized her voicing Felm last week.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:33 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the entertainment Usato and Co. If a new season comes around (I suspect it will with all the flash forwards shown to us) I will happily watch as new people encounter our buff healer using his healing to become a rescue hero.

I am interested how the demons may tie in to a story segment about being a ambassador to over nations and their own cultures. I am sure enemies and allies will be plentiful.

Decent Graphics outside of battle scenes being slightly rough. Good character writing, average plot writing outside of the strength of the rescue squads motivations. Audio was consistently decent to good, mostly rousing. I rate it a pleasant watching B grade.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Thought this was great and def one of hidden gems of the season. Yes the plot was fairly straghtforward and there isn't whole a lot of action, but actual writing was solid much of cast became pretty well-rounded at end of it which rare for ep 13 series. Definitely be down for a sequel.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:48 am Reply with quote
Definitely under-rated and very enjoyable with it's off-beat execution. Being a hopeless romantic, I am hoping Felm x Usato happens and not Suzune x Usato (unless it's a harem...) because I see her having a complementary personality to his whereas Suzune doesn't really know herself and is a little too much into fantasy. Usato is a solid realist and has been coming into his own.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:39 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Jacki is gonna review the final episode. Its been out for quite a while. Though I guess there is very little changed in what makes the show tick.

*edit*

There we go. Thanks for the reviews Jacki, always appreciated.

Last edited by Cryten on Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Definitely under-rated and very enjoyable with it's off-beat execution. Being a hopeless romantic, I am hoping Felm x Usato happens and not Suzune x Usato (unless it's a harem...) because I see her having a complementary personality to his whereas Suzune doesn't really know herself and is a little too much into fantasy. Usato is a solid realist and has been coming into his own.

spoiler[Unfortunately there is no romance in the series overall. The main focus is on character banter, comedy and action. The Suzune x Usato thing appears to be largely onesided on Suzune's side, since Usato isn't even sure about whether to take her seriously.]

Iron Maw wrote:
Thought this was great and def one of hidden gems of the season. Yes the plot was fairly straghtforward and there isn't whole a lot of action, but actual writing was solid much of cast became pretty well-rounded at end of it which rare for ep 13 series. Definitely be down
for a sequel.

There's definitely enough material for more seasons.

S1 covered the 1st 2 light novels.

The 1st series of light novels ran for 12 volumes (2016-2020).
A 2nd series recently started last Dec 2023, with its Vol 2 coming out just last month.
https://mfbooks.jp/product/chiyumahou/
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Overall I enjoyed the show as I did what I've read of the manga. Slightly disappointing for me personally though was that this season basically covered exactly what I read in the manga. So hopefully we'll get a second season, not just because it's an enjoyable series, but so I can get some new content animated Laughing

It wasn't surprising to me to learn earlier in the thread that the flashback wasn't originally from this point in the story as that felt like the worst pacing and poor placement. I didn't think it worked that well since we had already (recently) learned what happened, so it didn't make sense to then see it. I imagine had the flashback originally been here, we probably wouldn't have just learned about what happened as that took a lot of the impact out of it. Probably would have been better as a single episode too, but I'm guessing it was done to get the series to end where it did.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:15 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

spoiler[Unfortunately there is no romance in the series overall. The main focus is on character banter, comedy and action. The Suzune x Usato thing appears to be largely onesided on Suzune's side, since Usato isn't even sure about whether to take her seriously.]

Iron Maw wrote:
Thought this was great and def one of hidden gems of the season. Yes the plot was fairly straghtforward and there isn't whole a lot of action, but actual writing was solid much of cast became pretty well-rounded at end of it which rare for ep 13 series. Definitely be down
for a sequel.

A 2nd series recently started last Dec 2023, with its Vol 2 coming out just last month.

though it is pretty clear that the anime left out a lot of things from the light novels so that it can meet its 13 ep limit which is always been a pet peeve for some.

also, just like with villainess level 99, this ep more or less screams a "READ THE BOOKS, KIDS!" type of ending as i ever saw one!

most likely because kakodawa will be more focusing its resources on more profitable isekai series like the upcoming overlord holy kingdom movie and the emmience in shadow movie!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:56 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
zztop wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

Iron Maw wrote:
for a sequel.

though it is pretty clear that the anime left out a lot of things from the light novels so that it can meet its 13 ep limit which is always been a pet peeve for some.

also, just like with villainess level 99, this ep more or less screams a "READ THE BOOKS, KIDS!" type of ending as i ever saw one!

There's also the option of reading the manga adaptation, which is currently covering LN Vol 7 material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4