• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Solo Leveling

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnarth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
These are not words that I would ever use to describe Goblin Slayer. (Harem, maybe, since there is more than one woman interested in him, but given how tertiary that aspect of the show is, even that's a bit of a stretch.)

It was obviously hyperbolic, but compared to the first episode, it really feels like that. We even had a beach episode. I hope this show doesn't go the same route and keeps a bit of the atmosphere.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Back on topic, I'm still watching this but not very enthusiastically, and am still left wondering how this got so immensely popular.

I haven't read the original, but from what I understand we haven't actually hit the main story yet, we're still in the setup. We haven't even seen his real ability yet that lets him solo dungeons.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the reasons should become more apparent in the next few episodes, once the MC begins getting a bit stronger.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Credit to the adaption I think they're doing a pretty solid job adapting the work and nailing the action so far, which is one of the main draws of the series, and the voice cast is killing it (Taito Ban literally coughed up blood from his performance in episode 2).

Although I do have to laugh at how Jinwoo survived by listening to ominous instructions only to then completely ignore it the second go around.
malvarez1 wrote:
spoiler[It doesn’t matter. Unless the anime gives her more to do, she rarely appears again after this, and she has nothing to do.]

spoiler[Yeah, I was kind of surprised they featured her in the OP to be honest. Not that I mind, I do like Joohee...]
Seraph89

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:55 am Reply with quote
The art and fight scenes as well as being a good execution of the genre its a part of.

The gaming interface stuff makes sense later on but unless we get a season 2 and 3 there's no way this cour is getting to it.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:00 am Reply with quote
Show is just okay so far. I do like the idea of more dungeon puzzling like Ep 2 had and they ought to lean into that more than just stronger waves of enemies.

I also don't like it when game mechanics, HUDs and the concept of leveling exists for no practical natural in-world reason. It makes sense in stuff like SAO and ShangriLa Frontier as those are actually games. But I find it daft in a bunch of other isekais and fantasy worlds that have them "just because."

I'm guessing Solo is actually a game thing where some alien or otherworldly power is actually using the humans as participants in their dungeon game beta. That could work. But I'm surprised that the MC didn't see a need to say anything to anyone, or even a monologue to justify keeping quiet about something so obviously bizarre for his own advantage when he was dying for acknowledgment and higher pay to look after his mother.

If I woke up one day in the hospital and started seeing floating Windows pop-ups, you bet I'd be demanding to see a psychologist.
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:15 am Reply with quote
I don’t usually watch shows like this so maybe I’m bias. It seems ok so far. I really felt like I was watching Attack On Titan at points. Was waiting for YouSeeBigGirl to come in at points. Lol.
Gonbawa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:23 am Reply with quote
Compared to the manwa, the pacing is SO bad. For example, in the manwa, there's no "Cha-Ae catch a thief" sequence (the Hunters are not superheroes you know?) . When the MC disappears in the alien desert, the nurses don't know about it, so they don't lost their anime time to look for him (BUT the next morning they find him unconscious on the floor, covered with SAND: an interesting detail lost in the anime). In the subway dungeon, Jinwoo does not encounter any cliché goblin, he directly fights the wolfs...
Why losing so much time on boring things that are not canon, when there's so much more to show ? But the worst thing is the way they are ending each episode without any cliffhanger : it is like "oh heck, we're running out of time : let's stop here and pick it up later".
You really get the impression that the director of the series isn't interested in this work, and that it's just another commissioned piece.
And last but not least, what happened to Sawano's music ?
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Man Jinwoo would be terrible at D&D. Pouring everything i to strength and ignoring Dex, Con and Int is just gonna get u killed with a bigger axe in your hand.

Im sure this isnt what will happen it just got to the D&D player in me...
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:57 pm Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
Man Jinwoo would be terrible at D&D. Pouring everything i to strength and ignoring Dex, Con and Int is just gonna get u killed with a bigger axe in your hand.

Maple and Sunraku might disagree with you about single-stat focuses. . .

(Although as a long-time D&D gamer myself, I totally understand where you're coming from.)

On another note, episode 4 finally helps me understand where the appeal of this series comes from. That's some pretty fine combat design backed by a solid animation effort, especially in the boss battle. Still has plenty of flaws, but if the series can deliver like this on a regular basis on action then it will justify its popularity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:39 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The Scream Man wrote:

(Although as a long-time D&D gamer myself, I totally understand where you're coming from.)

"I dont know whats going on, really..." - Jinwoo.

Me: PUT SOME POINTS IN INT AND WIS YOU DUMMY!!!

Last edited by The Scream Man on Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:06 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
Key wrote:

"I dont know whats going on, reallt..." - Jinwoo.

I got a good laugh out of this. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
b-dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:53 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
Key wrote:
The Scream Man wrote:

"I dont know whats going on, really..." - Jinwoo.

Ah but he's trapped in a vicious cycle. He needs to have mental stats to know he needs more mental stats.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Gonbawa wrote:
). In the subway dungeon, Jinwoo does not encounter any cliché goblin, he directly fights the wolfs...

You have some valid complaints, but this I disagree about. One problem people have with the original is that Jinwoo gets too strong too quickly…making it more of a gradual process, if even just slightly, isn’t a bad thing.
Dnautics

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:41 pm Reply with quote
It's ok thus far. At first I didn't think I could handle another game/fantasy anime so the first episode didn't really hit for me. As I kept watching it, it seems to have gotten better. Also, it may have been because I switched to subtitles. I did not like the dub casting or acting at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7