• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Solo Leveling

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:31 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Gonbawa wrote:
). In the subway dungeon, Jinwoo does not encounter any cliché goblin, he directly fights the wolfs...

You have some valid complaints, but this I disagree about. One problem people have with the original is that Jinwoo gets too strong too quickly…making it more of a gradual process, if even just slightly, isn’t a bad thing.

That's a good point but I wonder what type of arc is this cour trying to accomplish. I mean the voice actor completely changes his tone when Jin kills the Snake in puré rage. That type of power reminded me of Inuyasha who was an actual hybrid. My Guess is that Jin will Focus on team ups again and then reconsider his own strength
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Taito Ban is utterly killing it performance-wise, especially when he starts to capture the shift in Jinwoo's personality and how he's more cold and calculating...but his bursts of emotion are super powerful.

Also the action animation continues to be on-point, which is the most important thing for this adaption.
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Still feels a lot like AoT to me but I don’t mind. Maybe it’s the music or the MC.
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I’m really enjoying this show and I don’t know why. But I like it. *shrugs*
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:44 am Reply with quote
EP 5: So I assume that the point to the stunt pulled on Jinwoo and the other newbie will be made clear next episode? Because I can't see any good reason for it beyond "being a bunch of evil dicks."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
minamikaze

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:35 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
EP 5: So I assume that the point to the stunt pulled on Jinwoo and the other newbie will be made clear next episode? Because I can't see any good reason for it beyond "being a bunch of evil dicks."

I thought Jinwoo's internal dialog and in particular his flashback to his discussion with the hunter who lost his arm, about unscrupulous hunters, spoiler[who take advantage of the fact that deaths in the dungeons are seen as common enough that they are almost never investigated, made it clear that these guys were the unscrupulous type they discussed. Their motivation for trapping Jinwoo and the other hunter is money.

There was a requirement for a minimum party size of 8 people to enter the C class dungeon and they picked a newbie with pricey equipment (which I'm sure they were planning on taking after he was killed) and Jinwoo (who noted to himself that his promised guaranteed payment was suspiciously high).

After giving the boss time to kill the newbie and Jinwoo, the party is likely planning on killing the boss themselves. Then after they exit the dungeon with all the spoils, the party will report that two members, a newbie D class hunter and an E class hunter were killed while the party was fighting the C class dungeon boss. That would not be seen as something so unusual that it would arouse suspicion of foul play. In the end, the party's scheme allows them to split the earnings only 6 ways and not have to pay anything to Jinwoo.]

Last edited by minamikaze on Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:56 am; edited 6 times in total
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:08 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Im guessing that spoiler[A 'C' rank Dungeon has better loot. So these 6 sign on 2 patsys, go into the dungeon and then have those 2 get killed, and then clear it themselves and make a higher profit margin than they would in lower rank dungeons.]
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:03 pm Reply with quote
A bit minor but Jin looks nothing like in episode 1. They make really funny scenes but I kinda wonder if his friend will recognize him after such a big change. I mean I'm not sure how Koreans view the bishonen concept but I remember game designer Yoko Taro being passionate as heck when the Western version of Nier failed to appeal to the audience. As a result, he decided to try the more youthful take on the protagonist to the point he had Noctis' voice from Final Fantasy
Foranoda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:04 pm Reply with quote
you just gotta love when a reviewer just completely misses foreshadowing and gradual changes, then complains that a change was too sudden...
when we see his status screen for the first time, his STR is at 19, and all his other stats are at 10, and Jinwoo mentions putting all his points into STR, while doing exactly that, putting all 3 points from the daily into the stat, bringing him to 22. this tells us that 4 days have passed since the first daily quest was issued, and the nurses already commented on the fact that he's "been running again today, too".
when we see his status screen after the first levelup against the wolves, he is at 32 STR, and 11 in all other stats, so before the levelup, he was at 31, meaning another 3 days have passed.
AND before he entered the instanced dungeon, he's already slightly changed, his build a bit more fit, his face a bit more lean, and at the end when he throws the remnant of the song's sword, we already see he's changed even more, with the shot showing his much more muscle-y arm before he dips out.
So saying he didn't change at all before episode 5 is ignorant at best, and disingenuous at worst.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I’m still enjoying this adaptation overall. The manwha is better in my opinion, but we’ll see what the anime does.

Taito Ban is insanely phenomenal. What a fantastic treat to get such amazing voice acting two seasons in a row and from two different voice actors!
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so I guess I get now that the party was really looking to make money off the rich new guy's equipment and Jinwoo was just completely disposable to meet the requirement, but man, that seems like a thin motivation when there's this much money to be made from the mana stones and (like Richard pointed out) they'd be able to recover a lot more with extra hands to carry. However, this doesn't explain why it's so suspicious that they don't have a healer. As a TTRPG gamer, I can fully appreciate how foolishly risky this is, but why would this be an indicator that they pull stunts like this?

Increasingly getting the impression that this is one of those "go with the flow and don't worry about the logic" kind of series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I wish I could say the villains get much better from here…but meh. Future villains are at least more threatening, anyway.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
However, this doesn't explain why it's so suspicious that they don't have a healer. As a TTRPG gamer, I can fully appreciate how foolishly risky this is, but why would this be an indicator that they pull stunts like this?

I believe the explanation (which is in the episode, but it's easy to miss) is that healers are rare and thus usually aren't permanent party members on lower rank teams. This combined with the fact that they had no buddies to call up to fill out their numbers indicate that these six people operate as a tight team. That way, there aren't any surviving temporary members who would risk leaking information about their crimes.
Foranoda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Foranoda wrote:
you just gotta love when a reviewer just completely misses foreshadowing and gradual changes, then complains that a change was too sudden...
when we see his status screen for the first time, his STR is at 19, and all his other stats are at 10, and Jinwoo mentions putting all his points into STR, while doing exactly that, putting all 3 points from the daily into the stat, bringing him to 22. this tells us that 4 days have passed since the first daily quest was issued, and the nurses already commented on the fact that he's "been running again today, too".
when we see his status screen after the first levelup against the wolves, he is at 32 STR, and 11 in all other stats, so before the levelup, he was at 31, meaning another 3 days have passed.
AND before he entered the instanced dungeon, he's already slightly changed, his build a bit more fit, his face a bit more lean, and at the end when he throws the remnant of the song's sword, we already see he's changed even more, with the shot showing his much more muscle-y arm before he dips out.
So saying he didn't change at all before episode 5 is ignorant at best, and disingenuous at worst.

I also completely forgot:
when Jinwoo is musing over how to allocate his stats, he was at 48 STR, and 27 in all other stats, with 12 more points available for distribution from daily quests. which means another 4 days have passed after the instanced dungeon and golem-boss, which brings our total to 11 days that have passed since the system was implemented
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:18 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
Key wrote:
However, this doesn't explain why it's so suspicious that they don't have a healer. ...why would this be an indicator that they pull stunts like this?

I believe the explanation ... is that healers are rare and thus usually aren't permanent party members on lower rank teams.

Then that would make it not suspicious that they didn't have a healer. I thought the point was that without a healer, "unfortunate" deaths would be less likely to draw an investigation. "If only we'd been able to get a healer. So sad."

To me though, the clause about "not responsible for anything that happens in the dungeon" gave the game away.

What I didn't quite get about their plan, never mind all their short-sighted logistics that the review pointed out, was their assumption that the boss spider would be quick work to dispatch once awakened. Like they wait for the spider to kill the two, then break in and have to immediately battle it themselves, leaving them what, an hour to mine all the stones and cart them out? So much easier to mine and remove what they could with all the time in the world (or at least the limit for when all the monsters spill out into the normal world), and then take care of the dormant boss before they need to go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7