• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Solo Leveling

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:43 am Reply with quote
The rumour mill says that the main VA got COVID and that's why we got a delay, same rumour mill that had said production was going great for the second half of the cour.

About the fight, it's been theorized that the dog was just a mob, tho that does not explain why mc can now leave. Also following game mechanical it is logical to kill it by attacking the same place repeatedly, but imho that sucks because it highlights the game mechanics too much.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:44 pm Reply with quote
This is one of those episodes that I think improves on the source (it’s actually attempting to get us to care about supporting characters, the shock). It even sort of works as an epilogue for the characters who may not appear again.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:14 pm Reply with quote
There are two theories about the b rank hunter,.

1) he is there to investigate what happens with sung old team, the criminals are an excuse to have a b rank without raising suspicions

2) the govt. Really wants to rehabilitate the criminals ( lol).

But that phone call about killing a person is weird.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Just a small note from the review:
"that Island from the first episode" is Jeju Island, which in South Korea is a kind of holiday island. Its closer in proximity, but think of it as a bit like Hawaii for Americans. Its this warm paradise where people go for a holiday, and for some just affording a trip is a goal. So to LOSE Jeju would be a big cultural and social impact on South Koreans. For some it would be like losing that goal you always aim towards, and may someday achieve you know? And for others it would be a real pride thing.

Not something the reviewer got WRONG, just adding a little context Smile
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:30 am Reply with quote
Intrigue brewing with Jeju Island that I get the sense is destined to involve Jinwoo with all the other characters getting screentime.

How much Cha fanservice can we throw in? As much as we possibly can.

It's funny how the guy who was friends with the kid on the way has family/kids of his own that sets up an equal death flag (on-top of people probably expecting some karma for what he did to Jinwoo).

Poor Joohee. At least she and Jinwoo finally reunited! They still never got to take each other out like they promised.

Oh, there's no red flags going on in this situation letting a group that survived a dangerous dungeon exploration team-up with a bunch of convicts!
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:57 am Reply with quote
I wonder how less subtle Jinwoo can get about his current state. His height increase at age 24, he claims his legs grew back, he doesn't carry weapons anymore and the tone of his voice makes hims sound like a different person. What I wonder more is about his mental health, considering he is quite okay with murdering humans. Are those murders gonna get touched? Even Lelouch threw up after killing one of his brothers.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:30 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
I wonder how less subtle Jinwoo can get about his current state. His height increase at age 24, he claims his legs grew back, he doesn't carry weapons anymore and the tone of his voice makes hims sound like a different person. What I wonder more is about his mental health, considering he is quite okay with murdering humans. Are those murders gonna get touched? Even Lelouch threw up after killing one of his brothers.

Murdering is what evil people do to innocent people. Killing people who are trying to kill you and others is not murder. Those in the spider dungeon had to die. Not because the system made it a quest, but because they were going to kill him and the other new guy. And if by some chance they showed some type of mercy, Jinwoo and the other would have probably ended up in jail.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:41 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Oh, there's no red flags going on in this situation letting a group that survived a dangerous dungeon exploration team-up with a bunch of convicts!

Maybe this is how this society now secretly executes prisoners they no longer think they need to keep housing. Send them into a dungeon, let the B ranker dispatch them, either also kill off the scrubs or swear them to secrecy or bribe them, and done is done. Smile j/k, maybe.
Washu0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:00 am Reply with quote
Good points on the character development.

"Why send 3 hardened criminals into a D-rank dungeon if you have to send a B-rank hunter to supervise? Just send the B-rank and save everyone a lot of time and effort."
Yes, I'm still waiting to see if the world building is going to come together in some interesting revelation, or if it's going to go JJ Abrams.

"While she hid away from the world, he—the one left to die alone—didn't even seem to be phased by what happened."
"phased" should be "fazed"--a common mistake: https://www.merriam-webster.com/grammar/phase-vs-faze
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
“I chuckled at the idea that Joohee was wearing that super stylish, strapless top underneath her battle mantelet the whole time—because when I'm fighting for my life against monsters, I always choose fashion over practicality.”

I laughed so hard at this! I recently had the same thought for Suzune Inukami in The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic. All of the male characters in the battle are wearing full body armor while she’s wearing barely there armor with a short white skirt. My first thought was “one kick to her cooch and she’ll be knocked out of this battle”. Laughing
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Most Hunters seem to wear casual clothes into the dungeon (aside from the high ranking ones who look straight out of a fantasy anime). I won't be knocking Joohee's strong fashion sense, especially when it made quite the visual at the end.

It's funny how Kim had so many red flags but they were literally the same flags as his buddy in the first two episodes. It doesn't pay to be a Hunter and a father in this show.

I haven't heard Kouki Uchiyama as a psycho in a while, so that was fun.

I'm glad Joohee still healed Song during the fight rather than remain a complete bystander.

I'm honestly kind of surprised they're depicting Jinwoo's ruthlessness as having a personal cost because it seems to be killing his emotions rather than just have him be a cold badass with no consequences. I guess the game system doesn't help.

Action animation is incredibly on-point.

Nothing like nearly surviving getting killed or watching people die in front of your or a long night of getting questioned to make a girl want to finally get her long-awaited date!
baianojack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:24 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I'm honestly kind of surprised they're depicting Jinwoo's ruthlessness as having a personal cost because it seems to be killing his emotions rather than just have him be a cold badass with no consequences. I guess the game system doesn't help.

spoiler[ The system isn’t benign. It isn’t exactly sinister either, though its architect is kind of sadistic. The reveal comes so many story arcs from where we are now. It’s a part I really want to see animated.]

[EDIT: Added spoiler tags. -TK]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:28 pm Reply with quote
SinisterOracle wrote:
Quote:
“I chuckled at the idea that Joohee was wearing that super stylish, strapless top underneath her battle mantelet the whole time—because when I'm fighting for my life against monsters, I always choose fashion over practicality.”

I laughed so hard at this!

That top isn't as impractical as it might seem. For one thing, Joohee is never fighting for her life or anything else, she just stands around and screams, unless someone kicks her into healing gear.

Her "battle mantlet" offers little protection for any battling - it's not armor. Maybe it's warm. It seems to me that y'all are thinking strapless = might fall down in action, but that's not the case with that sort of peasant top. While she's dungeoning, she can raise it to hang off her shoulders and the elastic will keep everything in place. When hanging out on a park bench, she can slide the sleeves off her shoulders as depicted to look more date-ready.

The thing with that style of top is that rather than being one wrong move away from a wardrobe malfunction (unless it really doesn't fit you) you have to spend a stupid amount of time trying to keep it off your shoulders because it keeps riding up and the elastic tends to want to be a relaxed scoop neck rather than a line stretched straight across from arm to arm. Smile
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:53 am Reply with quote
I was always really bummed out at this sequence with Joohee because, on the one hand, she probably isn't cut out for life as a Hunter and probably would not last long in the kind of life Jinwoo lives...yet at the same time she and Jinwoo seem to really care about each other and she brings out the softer, nicer, side of him that's still in there. You can tell they both aren't totally okay with this parting. But this series is more focused on the leveling and battling, so there isn't much room for romance.

(Plus the fact that she has to move back in with her parents after that heated talk with her mom...feel bad for her).

Jinho is a surprisingly good sidekick!

Miyu Tomita voicing a tsundere-ish Hunter crushing on her friends' older brother is funny to me.

I see that they don't even need Cha to have a close-up of a woman's butt, they'll just do it with a random passerby.

Jinwoo becoming a more shrewd and cunning in even his social dealings. You really don't want to mess with him.

Job change here we come!
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Really pal?

You survive 3 impossible situations, pay double for dungeon,get super buffed to the point that you got 30cms taller and decide to leave your whole team (composed of drunks and brats) outside the dungeon and you spect nobody to notice there is something fishy about you?

Also, how da heck does this economy makes sense?

200 millions immediate return over a 7 million investment?
And your only spence its 3 million (tops) in salaries?
And it's up to your employees to pay for their equipment and social security from their pockets?
And that's grade C?

I get this is a style over substance series but, this is too silly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7