• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Solo Leveling

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:54 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Jinho is unironically one of my favorite characters in this series. He’s a nice guy, actually provides some funny comic relief, and he comes across as a good friend who doesn’t need to ask for or demand any favors.

I have a soft spot for characters that are competent , but just not in ways the main plot focuses on, like matsuda from death note who would be a good mc.in am action seinen series.

Now that I think about it , this is why I like a certain branch of Isekai where the mc's are not actually fighters, but are shown to be competent at their own thing ( and why I dislike the ones here that later go " oh he was strong all along")
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the cut aways do not really fit. I liken it to the difference between Midoria and Todoroki in MHA where the flash backs where tied directly into the changing mentality of the participants, and the Midoria vs Overhaul fight where the flash backs where only back story for overhaul, making the fight feel stilted and piecemeal.

The cut aways in this episode when they where directly in the middle of the fight felt like those interrupting bits in the overhaul fight. Getting in the road of the flow of events.
andramus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:02 pm Reply with quote
A YouTuber who has been reacting to this series has been fairly lukewarm on it. She likes it but doesn't love it.

I wouldn't say this latest episode got her hooked but she really perked up when Jin Woo started killing people. Before that she was being all ho-hum and predicting that he was going to knock them all out and hand them over to the authorities.

It's funny to me how easily pleased people can be sometimes. If Jin Woo had of just done the "good guy" thing and not killed anyone that would have been boring but having him kill makes it exciting.

I used to feel the same but I'm more 50/50 these days. I think either approach can make a story interesting and it all comes down to execution.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:36 pm Reply with quote
For better or worse, a lot of people prefer the “edgier” characters. This is why Batman will always be more popular than Superman, and why Shadow is the breakout character of Sonic.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:35 am Reply with quote
They adapted the fight and Jinwoo's transition to being willing to kill people very well, especially with the insert song and the sheer brutality. He lost a piece of his humanity but gained even greater power, all for the sake of himself and his family.

I love how Jinho turns into Jinwoo's servant to save his own skin but then really had to get told to kill the one guy he knows could end him in a second.

They're really trying to better craft a story by featuring the supporting characters earlier and interspersed with Jinwoo content. Though usually it's just an excuse to give Cha screentime.

Also way to ignore the obvious blood on Jinwoo, Guild girl!!
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:03 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
They're really trying to better craft a story by featuring the supporting characters earlier and interspersed with Jinwoo content. Though usually it's just an excuse to give Cha screentime.

Interesting. I've personally found those interruptions to be quite distracting and irrelevant, especially when they occur during a Jinwoo fight. If I'm understanding your comment correctly, these moments are either anime-only or a restructuring of canon scenes that appear later in the source material? Either way, I now understand why these cut aways have felt so unnatural and unnecessary.

I'm usually a big supporter of anime adaptations making creative choices like this, but it just isn't working for me this time. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I already knew and liked these characters, but we've been cutting away to meet a lot of new people lately, and the closest their debut moments get to being relevant is when they mention information the viewer already knows (like those 3 women mentioning that some hunters are shady).

MFrontier wrote:
Also way to ignore the obvious blood on Jinwoo, Guild girl!!

I was wondering about that, too. Jinwoo was lucky that this woman seems to fangirl over hunter equipment like Hange does for Titans in AOT.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Jinwoo and Jinha are a really cute brother and sister pair. Though Jinwoo still seems to be reflecting on his ethics and how far he's willing to go.

Watch out for Junichi Suwabe! Good thing he has other jobs on his plate before coming after Jinwoo and Jinho.

I was kind of hoping Jinwoo and Jinho could work together, but I guess Jinwoo isn't going to waste his time on chump change with his skill level and he probably would kill Jinho if he ever blabbed about his power.

Apparently the books go more in-depth with how Jinwoo won and why his stabbing each head worked the way it did. Though the action was pretty visceral, and even if Jinwoo won he's well aware that he can't clear the dungeon the Cerberus was guarding at the level he's at now. Curing his mom will have to wait.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:07 pm Reply with quote
@Review

I do not believe that Cerebus counted as a boss, at least in the webtoon version. A strong elite minion of a dungeon yes but not a boss. I am prepared to be corrected on that. The point of Cerebus was to show Jinwoo struggled against the every day of the S ranked dungeon. Proving he was unable to handle the difficulty yet. Especially since he needed to use his wolfbane title (30% stats) and fear ability (-%50 stats to enemy), and his survivor trait that isnt shown in the anime for bonus stats near death, plus sprint in order to keep up with cerebus. And when Cerebus enraged it almost killed Jinwoo twice.

I do not buy the argument about weapon length for a simple reason: all the larger creatures he has fought should of been harmed by a human dagger. By the by
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Earlier in the episode he realised the rarity rating of the item reflected the strength of the monster that dropped it, the key that the Cerebus dropped was 'A' rank and he really struggled against it, so he's barely at A level at the moment and smartly realises he cant handle the S rank monsters further in.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He wins simply by stabbing Cerberus in the eye a lot. This doesn't make sense on any level.

It does if you remember this is a video game, and he simply reduced Cerberus' HP to zero.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:39 pm Reply with quote
This last episode felt like one of the weakest of the season so far, especially animation quality. Why does Jinha have such a pointed chin like the wicked witch of the west?

I also agree that the books provide much more depth into why Jinwoo was able to beat Cerberus the anime left out. I’m not really enjoying the storyboarding aspect of this adaptation as it isn’t done as well as it could be imo.

An ironic twist I’ve recently realized is that next week is a recap episode, yet every anime website I’ve read is providing weekly episode reviews. Seems unnecessary, but it’s necessary for the animators to manage to get through the season.

Hopefully next episode on March 2 will be better.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Some people have been speculating on the recap episode as a sign of possible production issues in the future. To have one so early feels a bit unplanned which could mean they have lost a slot for airing an episode in an attempt to give their animators more time.

The speculation is especially driven by the A1's recent history of productions falling apart or at least cracking and needing filler recap episodes. Nier for example still hasn't aired its ending. Though I think ultimately this is just worry because of how many highly animated titles all over the anime industry have run into trouble.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I mean, the series it's pretty, but, until now all the battles have been won by stabbing the enemy a lot.

Until now, it should be no surprise that this has the strategic level of Dragon Ball.
SenseiAgot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:55 am Reply with quote
Cerberus is NOT an S-Rank monster. Not all the monsters in an S-Rank Dungeon have that level of power. The pooch is an A-Rank.

Yeah, still it's a big hurdle to overcome, practically but he's forgetting the fact that Jinwoo has a 40% stats increase against beast type monsters, he also gets a 50% damage reduction when he's under a third of his remaining life, then he gets an additional 20% on top of that.

When it comes to the debuff provided by the dagger, yeah, at the start of the fight Cerberus is inmune, but that's because he has additional resistance thanks to his own buff. They start having an effect after the buff is gone. Plus, even if Cerberus has 3 heads, he only has 1 body, and the bleeding effects damages the entirety of Cerberus, not just one head.

Still, Jinwoo did get lucky, there's no denying that, but the difference wasn't completely hopeless. It all comes down from the assumption that Cerberus is S-Rank, which he is not. In Jeju Island some of the Ants can be killed by regular B-Rank Hunters... not all Ants are Beru's level.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:26 am Reply with quote
The latest episodes kinda remind me of Shield Hero's premiere but more violent. I mean Jin is suddenly becoming more corrupted, losing his baby face in the process (he is only 24?!) and started getting revenge on everybody messing with him. Still, no episode this weekend.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7