• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney+ to Stream Nearly All Macross Anime Worldwide in 2024

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Overall fantastic news but.... where's the original?!? Amazon had it back in 2016 and I really enjoyed watching it but it's been gone for like 5 years now. I want to watch it again.

And does Disney+ ever release physical versions? I REALLY want to buy the shows in this series in particular just in case it disappears from streaming in the future
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Overall fantastic news but.... where's the original?!? Amazon had it back in 2016 and I really enjoyed watching it but it's been gone for like 5 years now. I want to watch it again.

And does Disney+ ever release physical versions? I REALLY want to buy the shows in this series in particular just in case it disappears from streaming in the future

1) As per the agreement between Big West and Harmony Gold, the original TV series and Do You Remember Love film are still under the control of HG outside of Japan. Anything involving those two entries is therefore separate from any agreements Big West makes.

2) Most of these titles have already been licensed for physical release by other companies, per announcements made back in 2022.

Macross 7, Frontier, and Delta are under Nozomi Entertainment, now part of Crunchyroll.

Macross Plus is under Anime Limited.

Macross II is under AnimEigo, who recently ran a successful kickstarter to fund their home video release.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

The original SDF Macross is still with Harmony Gold, which currently has a deal with Sony/FUNimation/Crunchyroll, so ask Crunchyroll to start streaming it (along with Southern Cross & Mospeada, too).

As for physical, Macross II, Plus, 7, Frontier, & Delta have all long been announced for physical releases for a few years already, so there's no need to worry about those, at least in theory. Macross Zero & Flashback 2012 still have no announcement from Big West for home video, though.
Rosiero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:21 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

1) As per the agreement between Big West and Harmony Gold, the original TV series and Do You Remember Love film are still under the control of HG outside of Japan. Anything involving those two entries is therefore separate from any agreements Big West makes.

2) Most of these titles have already been licensed for physical release by other companies, per announcements made back in 2022.

Macross 7, Frontier, and Delta are under Nozomi Entertainment, now part of Crunchyroll.

Macross Plus is under Anime Limited.

Macross II is under AnimEigo, who recently ran a successful kickstarter to fund their home video release.

I didn't think I'd ever say this about any company, but I can't wait for the unstoppable Disney-blob to absorb Harmony Gold one day.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:38 pm Reply with quote
lossthief: Again, DYRL is mired in licensing hell in Japan, where no one knows who has it.
SuiSeiKen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Thank god it's a miracle, they finally found the way of streaming !
pi8you

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:51 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I’m still waiting on Anime Limited’s Macross Plus release. It’s ridiculous how long it’s taking. It was licensed two years ago!

Fingers crossed for you, they've finally nearly got A Place Further Than the Universe out the door here and it was a year and a half from that original announcement.

Apart from watching Macross Plus back on the Sci-Fi channel, god, what, 20-25 years ago, I haven't touched the franchise at all, but I've always been curious. How necessary is the original series/movie to the rest of it?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:01 pm Reply with quote
pi8you wrote:

Apart from watching Macross Plus back on the Sci-Fi channel, god, what, 20-25 years ago, I haven't touched the franchise at all, but I've always been curious. How necessary is the original series/movie to the rest of it?

Not as much as you'd think, honestly. While all of the sequels take place in the same continuity, they're all pretty standalone stories that fill you in on the basics from previous entries, and any relevant details when necessary. 7 has probably the most continuity from the original series, but that's mostly in the form of two legacy characters who are around as supporting cast. I watched most of the other series before getting to SDF/DYRL and never had trouble following along.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Does anyone win in this scenario?

• Disney+ gets shows that are a square peg with the rest of their programming.
  • Crunchyroll can't stream it, but still has the Blu-Ray licenses they got from buying Right Stuf.
  • Still no SDF or DYRL.
  • Sony still won’t buy Harmony Gold just for the rights.

Exquisite deal. No notes.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:15 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Wow. Does anyone win in this scenario?

• Disney+ gets shows that are a square peg with the rest of their programming.
  • Crunchyroll can't stream it, but still has the Blu-Ray licenses they got from buying Right Stuf.
  • Still no SDF or DYRL.
  • Sony still won’t buy Harmony Gold just for the rights.

Exquisite deal. No notes.

From what I understand Harmony Gold doesn’t want to sell the Robotech rights for anything. It would be advantageous for Sony to buy them so they can bug Disney with something besides Spider-Man, but it takes two to tango.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
From what I understand Harmony Gold doesn’t want to sell the Robotech rights for anything. It would be advantageous for Sony to buy them so they can bug Disney with something besides Spider-Man, but it takes two to tango.

This is just my own speculation, but I'm saying "sell the entire company, just for the sake of the Macross rights". They continue to do next to nothing with Robotech, and less still with Macross per se. It looks like squatting, and I just wonder if they're hoping that some company (perhaps Sony) will finally tire of the intransigence and offer to buy the whole company, which lets them cash out. It's not like HG has any value other than those rights.
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Great news. A shame that DYRL is still being squatted on by Harmony Gold.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:44 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty incredible that so much Macross is now available to watch, and soon own.
D.E.D.E wrote:
I wonder if we’ll get a dub for them at some point.
On the one hand, I can't see Disney+ having titles on their service that are only available in one language. But on the other hand, they might not see the point in trying to dub older niche Anime where the materials might be hard to find.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
TemplateR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I really hope, that Disney+ or somebody else bring "The Super Dimension Fortress Macross" and the compilation Movie "The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?" in his streaming-portfolio.

Anyway, is there a Macross-Titel, which I can (or a must) watch it without knowing the original?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:57 pm Reply with quote
The hell is Star?, There's another unnecessary cast-off app now? and is it included in the Disney/Hulu bundle thing I already have?

Great that more people can finally watch Macross stuff now though.

TemplateR wrote:

Anyway, is there a Macross-Titel, which I can (or a must) watch it without knowing the original?

Each Macross series is basically it's own thing with a new set of characters. There are references here and there to the characters and past events of other series that you won't get but the stories will still be comprehensible without that.

Last edited by Kruszer on Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6