• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney+ to Stream Nearly All Macross Anime Worldwide in 2024

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:00 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
On the one hand, I can't see Disney+ having titles on their service that are only available in one language. But on the other hand, they might not see the point in trying to dub older niche Anime where the materials might be hard to find.

Being on Disney+ isn't a guarantee of a dub. Phoenix: Eden17 and Tatami Time Machine Blues have yet to get one despite both being global Disney+ originals. I know Tokyo Revengers fans are getting anxious over the lack of news of a dub for season 3, too. Ishura and Sand Land are getting dubbed, so it's not entirely off the table either.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
On the one hand, I can't see Disney+ having titles on their service that are only available in one language. But on the other hand, they might not see the point in trying to dub older niche Anime where the materials might be hard to find.

Being on Disney+ isn't a guarantee of a dub. Phoenix: Eden17 and Tatami Time Machine Blues have yet to get one despite both being global Disney+ originals. I know Tokyo Revengers fans are getting anxious over the lack of news of a dub for season 3, too. Ishura and Sand Land are getting dubbed, so it's not entirely off the table either.

Not just Ishura and Sand Land, spoiler[Mission: Yozakura Family and Loser Ranger are getting dubs too.]
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Primus wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Not just Ishura and Sand Land, spoiler[Mission: Yozakura Family and Loser Ranger are getting dubs too.]

spoiler[do you mean “The fable” will be getting a dub? Because i haven’t heard any confirmation that Disney will be streaming Yozakura family.]
Megazone 23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I have major reservations about this. So did this streaming deal with Disney include Big West being able to releases physical copies of their shows in America without Disney's O.K, or is physical medial distribution part of the deal? Which is a concern in and of itself.A possible issue is Disney is farming out its physical media to Sony. Sony owns Crunchy Roll and it seems either two things happened either Big West did not approach Sony to stream Macross or they did and economically it was not favorable for Big west. i also concerned about dubs and lack of enthusiasm for a 4k uhd release for these shows outside of japan. Not a good day.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Kiwi93 wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Primus wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

spoiler[do you mean “The fable” will be getting a dub? Because i haven’t heard any confirmation that Disney will be streaming Yozakura family.]

Look at Hulu, unless it's gonna be a Zom 100 situation.
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Kiwi93 wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Primus wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Look at Hulu, unless it's gonna be a Zom 100 situation.

Wow you’re right I just looked it up weird they haven’t made an official announcement yet, I’m thinking it might possibly be a zoom100 situation like you mentioned since CR still has a couple of empty slots for their spring lineup.
billy bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Dubs cost money and I doubt that the fanbase is large enough for Disney to justify the expense particularly for older titles.

Also still miffed about DYRL being tied up.
loveliver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
The hell is Star?, There's another unnecessary cast-off app now? and is it included in the Disney/Hulu bundle thing I already have?

I say it's Disney's international version of Hulu, except it's only stuff Disney themselves provide as a company, not any other studio.

EDIT: That includes anything Disney, as a company, licenses under the Disney name, but not any other western thing that's on Hulu.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Oh, I see. For some reason, I thought that they had the Netflix policy of having everything they released, be in multiple languages.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:19 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Primus wrote:
Oh, I see. For some reason, I thought that they had the Netflix policy of having everything they released, be in multiple languages.

They did, but due to the fuckery in 2023, they had to stop for a while. It seems that their policy is changing once more.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Megazone 23 wrote:
I have major reservations about this. So did this streaming deal with Disney include Big West being able to releases physical copies of their shows in America without Disney's O.K, or is physical medial distribution part of the deal? Which is a concern in and of itself.A possible issue is Disney is farming out its physical media to Sony. Sony owns Crunchy Roll and it seems either two things happened either Big West did not approach Sony to stream Macross or they did and economically it was not favorable for Big west. i also concerned about dubs and lack of enthusiasm for a 4k uhd release for these shows outside of japan. Not a good day.
Literally almost all these titles have already been announced for physical media releases by Nozomi, Anime Limited, and Animeigo.
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Skunked again on the 1984 movie! But, yet, they can release Flash Back 2012?

Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:53 pm Reply with quote
pi8you wrote:
Apart from watching Macross Plus back on the Sci-Fi channel, god, what, 20-25 years ago, I haven't touched the franchise at all, but I've always been curious. How necessary is the original series/movie to the rest of it?

It does establish the basics of the Macross world, and the other Macross anime titles reference it, but it's not vital per se. You should watch the original at some point, though.

I've still got that AnimEigo sub-only DVD boxset from a long time ago. It would be great to replace it with a smaller Blu-Ray set, but I guess that's not going to happen anytime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
pi8you

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:10 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Not as much as you'd think, honestly. While all of the sequels take place in the same continuity, they're all pretty standalone stories that fill you in on the basics from previous entries, and any relevant details when necessary. 7 has probably the most continuity from the original series, but that's mostly in the form of two legacy characters who are around as supporting cast. I watched most of the other series before getting to SDF/DYRL and never had trouble following along.

Cool, thanks (and thanks to penguintruth as well)
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Otaku-sempai wrote:
Skunked again on the 1984 movie! But, yet, they can release Flash Back 2012?

The technicality is that Big West has full control over any legacy work outside of SDF Macross TV, even if it includes characters & plot from that series, but simply aren't allowed to release new works involving the SDF cast outside of Japan (see that new video game, where the SDF characters are Japan-only). Since Flashback 2012 was never released before by Harmony Gold, Big West has the right to do whatever it wants with that around the world, even though it's recaps the events of SDF Macross.

The movie is super weird, since neither Big West nor Harmony Gold handled its prior English releases (I believe those were licensed out by Toho), so it's not really clear who actually would handle international rights to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6