• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney+ to Stream Nearly All Macross Anime Worldwide in 2024

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:43 am Reply with quote
The commemorative graphic suggests the ONE thing fans are most eagerly awaiting to be released Worldwide is the ONE thing that's not going to be released.

I mean according to some of the comments in this thread, wouldn't that be copyright infringement? The graphic is being used to promote something that belongs to a party that has nothing to do with this promotion.

Yeah yeah I know, the small print says that Minmay is from the Flashback 2012 OAV, which is owned by Bigwest. But still...

Such a letdown.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:28 pm Reply with quote
TemplateR wrote:
I really hope, that Disney+ or somebody else bring "The Super Dimension Fortress Macross" and the compilation Movie "The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?" in his streaming-portfolio.

DYRL is not a compilation movie. It has a fair bit of original plot to just the movie. In the Macross timeline it is treated as a movie about Space War 1. As in, the characters in Frontier treat DYRL as a movie they have seen, and they are cast in a reboot of it. Crazy stuff huh?

I am hoping they have some really nice masters for the streaming, I want to see Macross 7 in high def, as well as Frontier. I will be buying all the BD releases that come out, because as someone pointed out: You can't trust that something stays on streaming. I still have my AmimEigo DVD release of Macross, as well as the ADV release with that strange English dub.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:34 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Overall fantastic news but.... where's the original?!? Amazon had it back in 2016 and I really enjoyed watching it but it's been gone for like 5 years now. I want to watch it again.

And does Disney+ ever release physical versions? I REALLY want to buy the shows in this series in particular just in case it disappears from streaming in the future

1) As per the agreement between Big West and Harmony Gold, the original TV series and Do You Remember Love film are still under the control of HG outside of Japan. Anything involving those two entries is therefore separate from any agreements Big West makes.

2) Most of these titles have already been licensed for physical release by other companies, per announcements made back in 2022.

Macross 7, Frontier, and Delta are under Nozomi Entertainment, now part of Crunchyroll.

Macross Plus is under Anime Limited.

Macross II is under AnimEigo, who recently ran a successful kickstarter to fund their home video release.

I know of the agreements but it still sucks. And the announcements for 7, Frontier, and Delta, as you said, were made way back in 2022 and I can't find and newer information about them so my doubts about them happening are rising.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
DYRL is not a compilation movie. It has a fair bit of original plot to just the movie. In the Macross timeline it is treated as a movie about Space War 1. As in, the characters in Frontier treat DYRL as a movie they have seen, and they are cast in a reboot of it. Crazy stuff huh?

DYRL has been an in-universe fictionalized retelling of the SDF story ever since Macross 7, I believe, but the craziest thing of all is that Macross II is also considered non-canon, since it was written to take place in the world of DYRL, so when DYRL became non-canon it also apparently removed Macross II from the timeline completely.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Well one thing’s for sure. The Robotech movie is never happening, because if ever there was a time to announce a cast to take the wind out of Big West’s sails, it would be now.
Meexa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Disney's Power is immense . . .
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Otaku-sempai wrote:
Skunked again on the 1984 movie! But, yet, they can release Flash Back 2012?

The technicality is that Big West has full control over any legacy work outside of SDF Macross TV, even if it includes characters & plot from that series, but simply aren't allowed to release new works involving the SDF cast outside of Japan (see that new video game, where the SDF characters are Japan-only). Since Flashback 2012 was never released before by Harmony Gold, Big West has the right to do whatever it wants with that around the world, even though it's recaps the events of SDF Macross.

The movie is super weird, since neither Big West nor Harmony Gold handled its prior English releases (I believe those were licensed out by Toho), so it's not really clear who actually would handle international rights to it.

But Zettai Live, which apparently is going international…
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Rob J. wrote:
Disney has added a Hulu hub onto D+ here in the states -- a redundancy if you get the Hulu/D+/ESPN+ bundle like I do -- as what is almost certainly the first phase of folding Hulu entirely into D+ and while High School DxD wasn't ported over (it's almost as if Disney doesn't want Rias and Akeno to be mistaken for Disney princesses or something), a good portion of the anime on Hulu is also in the Hulu hub on D+. Given Macross's place in history as both a mega franchise in its own right in Japan and as the spine of Robotech in the rest of the world, I don't doubt that whenever it premieres in the US, it'll be on both Hulu and D+.

Unless something has changed with it leaving beta, afaik, the hulu hub is only available to those who have subscriptions to both hulu and D+. For right now it seems to be just an app integration rather than a service integration. I wouldn't mind them merging, then it might be worth it's frequent price raises.

Beatdigga wrote:
We can debate the whys all day, but the fact remains they refuse to sell and continue to be a pain in the ass to anyone interested in this franchise, which is why I continue to theorize the next Macross project is some sort of reboot with new characters specifically designed to emancipate the franchise from Robotech.

While the newer series work fairly well stand alone, I wouldn't mind seeing a new series that is completely stand alone, reboot or not. Got a little odd with the bugs and bacteria trying to keep ties to all the previous canon in Frontier and Delta.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:12 am Reply with quote
Kept you waitng hu? I wonder if the Frontier movie is included. Heard it's too different from the tv series
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:20 am Reply with quote
Turning all entries into a list shows how glaring the IP´s quality gaps are and how many there are. I recommend to stay far away from like half of these. At least it´s all soon available. Secret Galaxy can finally make an update to its series on the IP´s bonker legal issues. Anime Gorbatschow tore down the wall. Mostly. The grip of the Robotech entries remains:
Certain #Macross sequels, such as Do You Remember Love, and any future sequel containing shared characters, mecha, and/or storyline, are currently prohibited. July 2023
https://twitter.com/RobotechNews/status/1682222363130167297

How much money can you realistically make of a show + film that are older than 98% of Disney+ users who watch anime in 2024? Is someone IP hoarding the live-action rights to a Robotech film?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Sony has the rights to a Robotech film, but it’s widely believed they’re just squatting on them with no intention of actually making it despite the occasional platitude that they believe it can be the next Star Wars (which it assuredly can’t be without the rest of the Macross rights). Considering everyone from Lawrence Kasdan to Tobey Maguire has tried and failed to get the film over the finish line, and that the most recently leaked script circa 2019 having for lack of a better term, sucked (for starters, Misa is pushing 50 and the Minmei analogue is killed off in Act 2) I fully expect to see the El Muerto movie hit theaters before a cast ever comes together for Robotech.

My guess is Disney+ got all this old stuff so they can get the new show whenever it comes out.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Otaku-sempai wrote:
The original English-language dub (of DYRL) is pretty bad; laughably so. I do believe that a heavily edited version was once released by one of the fly-by-night anime companies of the 1980s.

Yup. Clash of the Bionoids by Celebrity Home Entertainment. Razz
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I just want Macross Zero on blu-ray.

I hope this is a sign!

ChirashiD wrote:
The commemorative graphic suggests the ONE thing fans are most eagerly awaiting to be released Worldwide is the ONE thing that's not going to be released.

I mean according to some of the comments in this thread, wouldn't that be copyright infringement? The graphic is being used to promote something that belongs to a party that has nothing to do with this promotion.

Yeah yeah I know, the small print says that Minmay is from the Flashback 2012 OAV, which is owned by Bigwest. But still...

Such a letdown.

Maybe it will, but only in Japan?
hikura

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:13 pm Reply with quote
No thanks to watching it streaming. While it's easier to find it all in one place and it's more expensive to buy the physical media. With physical media I can watch it anytime I want and I do not need a good Internet connection and don't have to worry about if they pull the rights to the media that I like. Once I own it it's mine till either get rid of it or break it.
RetroMythologist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:08 am Reply with quote
Please, PLEASE release all of this on Blu-Ray!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6