• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - When Criticism Meets Anime Fandom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:07 pm Reply with quote
MiniMarps wrote:
My main thing with the imo broken review process here at ANN is that some of the ladies and gentlemen who write here (I'm not gonna name names, but I've been here long enough to where I could if I wanted to) will start with the statement "this show belongs to a genre that I personally do not care for", spend three paragraphs explaining why that is the case, call it a review and send it in. The problem is that for anyone who is into that genre (which will be most people who are bothering to seek out reviews for shows of said genre), that's not the type of information they're looking for.

Just as a very simple example: if someone with an interest in shojo romance anime is trying to figure out whether this season's shojo romance offering is worth looking into, what would it matter to them whether or not it's in line with the tastes of someone whose area of expertise is shonen battle anime? That's not going to answer their questions.

Such reviews do work for a reader who's not normally into that genre, either, and that's why they still have value.

For instance, I'm not at all a fan of BL. If a reviewer whom I know has bad-mouthed BL in the past says in a review "despite my normal tastes, this is actually worth watching" then that's certainly going to get my attention much more than praise from someone who's a known fan of BL.

Besides, I think it's good for reviewers to step out of their normal comfort zones every so often to review something they might not normally like. (Chris Farris and his GOMG reviews is a good example of this.) Now, I'll grant you that it's counter-productive if the reviewer just spends the whole review talking about what's wrong with the genre or why they don't like the genre, but thankfully that's not very common.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:26 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
MiniMarps wrote:
My main thing with the imo broken review process here at ANN is that some of the ladies and gentlemen who write here (I'm not gonna name names, but I've been here long enough to where I could if I wanted to) will start with the statement "this show belongs to a genre that I personally do not care for", spend three paragraphs explaining why that is the case, call it a review and send it in. The problem is that for anyone who is into that genre (which will be most people who are bothering to seek out reviews for shows of said genre), that's not the type of information they're looking for.

Just as a very simple example: if someone with an interest in shojo romance anime is trying to figure out whether this season's shojo romance offering is worth looking into, what would it matter to them whether or not it's in line with the tastes of someone whose area of expertise is shonen battle anime? That's not going to answer their questions.

Such reviews do work for a reader who's not normally into that genre, either, and that's why they still have value.

For instance, I'm not at all a fan of BL. If a reviewer whom I know has bad-mouthed BL in the past says in a review "despite my normal tastes, this is actually worth watching" then that's certainly going to get my attention much more than praise from someone who's a known fan of BL.

Besides, I think it's good for reviewers to step out of their normal comfort zones every so often to review something they might not normally like. (Chris Farris and his GOMG reviews is a good example of this.) Now, I'll grant you that it's counter-productive if the reviewer just spends the whole review talking about what's wrong with the genre or why they don't like the genre, but thankfully that's not very common.

Personally I think its fine if someone critiques a genre, say, isekai using a specific work as a framing device, eg, mushoku tensei. It's similar to, say, someone critiquing the implications of certain romances with power-imbalanced relationships using twilight as a frame. People who dislike critiquing genres have persecution complexes.
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:38 am Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
Personally I think its fine if someone critiques a genre, say, isekai using a specific work as a framing device, eg, mushoku tensei. It's similar to, say, someone critiquing the implications of certain romances with power-imbalanced relationships using twilight as a frame. People who dislike critiquing genres have persecution complexes.

It's fine to critique a genre in an article titled, let's say, "Why I Don't Like Isekai." But if the article is titled "Review of [isekai series]" the people who are clicking that link aren't the people who'll be interested in how that particular writer thinks feels isekai as a whole. The theoretical purpose of a review is to help potentially interested parties determine whether or not this thing they're unsure about is worth their time. Some of these ANN writers lose sight of that sometimes.
turnsie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:53 am Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:

Ex arm is not "objectively badly animation", because NOTHING can be objectively bad. If that were possible "objective" would have no meaning. By definition, art is subjective

Also, I assure you there are plenty of things some people think have amazing animation which I think have hideous, repulsively bad animation, and vice versa.

Honest question: isn't this, to a point, just extremely pedantic?

Art is subjective by definition, yes, standards of "good" and "bad" aspects of art are entirely arbitrary, sure, but that doesn't mean there's no such thing as art being objectively bad. Not to mention, this viewpoint can be applied to just about anything too.

Take a look at Twinkle Nora Rock Me, the animation is infamously poor, so poor that there are scenes where you wonder why this is in an animated medium when the movement is impossible to follow. If the poor quality of animation is actually making the media harder to follow, would that not be objectively bad?

Creating so many theories and 'rules' in different forms of art would be a waste if, at the end of the day, all there ever is to say is "art is subjective anyway who cares about doing this to a higher standard".
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:09 am Reply with quote
Started writing this post yesterday evening, then the power went out for like five and a half hours. Texas electric grid, amirite?

Bonebrain wrote:
And if people don't want to be accused ot presenting their opinions as facts, wording things better might help. Saying "this show sucks and is bad" and being surprised they get pushback seems like it could have been avoided by wording it like "I didn't care for this, but then I don't like this stuff anyway so my opnion probably doesn't mean much.

Alternative approach:

Subjective judgment is what separates a review from a database entry. Since it's so inherent to the form, I think it's reasonable to interpret the label of "review" on a piece as applying a blanket "IMO" to all applicable statements therein. It's how the writer sees things, and the readers get to decide what to do with that viewpoint.

(Mind you, I'm inclined to be pretty conservative with my own phrasings here, but I try to be liberal in what I accept.)

Bonebrain wrote:
Also, try not to be inflammatory, passive-aggressive, or snarky when doing so. People are not dumb and know what you're doing when you say things like "people who like this show should probably have their hard drives checked..." in a review of I Admire Magical Girls, and....

For the record, your post is currently the only Google search result for this sentence. If it's a hypothetical example, I think the case might be better made with real ones. Otherwise you risk arguing against a person in your head, rather than one who exists in real life.

Might have replies to other posts later.
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:53 am Reply with quote
MiniMarps wrote:
The theoretical purpose of a review is to help potentially interested parties determine whether or not this thing they're unsure about is worth their time. Some of these ANN writers lose sight of that sometimes.

The teoretical purpose of a review is letting readers know what a reviewer thinks of some series. Not promoting anything. If you just want "this anime is about that", go reading a plot summary at the Wiki.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:30 am Reply with quote
turnsie wrote:

Take a look at Twinkle Nora Rock Me, the animation is infamously poor, so poor that there are scenes where you wonder why this is in an animated medium when the movement is impossible to follow. If the poor quality of animation is actually making the media harder to follow, would that not be objectively bad?

This is kind of what I was trying to get at earlier with some of my specific suggestions using animation as an example. I think the primary obstacle is that, in principle, an animator could choose to do just about anything and the choice could be defended (?) on the grounds that it is 'art, and subjective', and no matter how many people dislike it nor how predictable that is, there's not some discernible rule of reality that decrees their choice was bad.

But, it's also often pretty clear when the animator (or artist, etc) simply hasn't been able to really enact their vision, because of a lack of skill or funding. There are common hallmarks of underfunded or amateur animation, and anime of the last 10 or so years is totally full of them, as a combination of its industry structure and that it was pretty late to trying to figure out how to integrate e.g. CG animation effectively in anime.

It seems like there's a very strong tendency to attribute any and all imperfections to simply different, subjective artistic choices, as if skill and funding aren't a part of the process at all, or speculating about them given any ambiguity is too dangerous or some such. Though, maybe this is a reaction to the at least equally common tendency of many posters to argue that e.g. a reviewer's numerical rating of a show is unacceptable and 'objectively wrong', even though there has never really been any attempt to by most sites to give those ratings an 'objective' methodology and they are generally just based on however the reviewer wants to treat that rating exercise subjectively.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:04 am Reply with quote
Re: critics being ultra-negative, you have to remember that we're on The Internet, a place where it is usually quite lucrative for people to be performatively mean.

Also, I feel like the crux of the issue boils down to one sentence, so much so that I feel like you missed a golden opportunity to fake ending the article right then and there.
Quote:
it's bad to tie your identity to a piece of media
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:35 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
turnsie wrote:

This is kind of what I was trying to get at earlier with some of my specific suggestions using animation as an example. I think the primary obstacle is that, in principle, an animator could choose to do just about anything and the choice could be defended (?) on the grounds that it is 'art, and subjective', and no matter how many people dislike it nor how predictable that is, there's not some discernible rule of reality that decrees their choice was bad.

But, it's also often pretty clear when the animator (or artist, etc) simply hasn't been able to really enact their vision, because of a lack of skill or funding. There are common hallmarks of underfunded or amateur animation, and anime of the last 10 or so years is totally full of them, as a combination of its industry structure and that it was pretty late to trying to figure out how to integrate e.g. CG animation effectively in anime.

It seems like there's a very strong tendency to attribute any and all imperfections to simply different, subjective artistic choices, as if skill and funding aren't a part of the process at all, or speculating about them given any ambiguity is too dangerous or some such. Though, maybe this is a reaction to the at least equally common tendency of many posters to argue that e.g. a reviewer's numerical rating of a show is unacceptable and 'objectively wrong', even though there has never really been any attempt to by most sites to give those ratings an 'objective' methodology and they are generally just based on however the reviewer wants to treat that rating exercise subjectively.

While there are hints that projects went under crunch, the manga ran out of material, or they couldn't afford feature level animation (I don't actually watch tv for feature level animation anyway... I do actually like tv quality animation, some people need to check their priorities)... The implication that if a project looks amatuer or looks cheap or it looks like the directors first work, then it must be objectively bad is absurd. If we could objectively rank something based on budget or dev time, I don't know, look up its box office data instead of reading a review. Personally, I don't actually think the most expensive animations like frozen are objectively better than something obviously a bit rough around the edges like kemurikusa/kemono friends...

Nor do I think limited animation is objectively bad, nor do I think sakuga (a word used in english to mean theatre level animation, anyone who defines it otherwise is being pretentious) is objectively better than limited animation.

I'll say it again and again. I like violinist of the hamelin. I like Osamu Dezuka. And I... Shock horror, like 100+ episode continual battle shounens, like black clover which rely on limited animation, works like naruto would not exist without limited animation. The claim limited animation is objectively bad, and I'm not even talking about dezuka or violinist, just any tv level animation is worse than feature level animation is so patent, I don't even have the energy to dignify that... And that is absolutely what you're insinuating, that since you can tell by watching, "objectively" say, naruto has tv animation, and that say, weathering with you has feature level animation then weathering with you is objectively better.

Also I put objectively in scare quotes becuase there's not really a check list to tell how good the budget is. If somethings to be objective I would like a fully coherent checklist or rubric or something to determine if the budget is "good" or "bad".
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:28 am Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
The implication that if a project looks amatuer or looks cheap or it looks like the directors first work, then it must be objectively bad is absurd.

I didn't say anything about "must be", though. I said these can be useful clues for someone with appropriate background (like most reviewers; FWIW, I also think you can find exactly this kind of 'objective' critique in many ANN reviews) to make a reasonable guess about when certain poorly received qualities of the animation in a show were determined by skill or funding -- or deadlines, besides -- than by unusual and poorly received artistic vision.

Whether that means it is 'objectively bad'... I'm not sure 'bad' is a very useful adjective; it's kind of lifelessly vague. It is, however, a criticism that is making inferences about a fact-in-the-world, not about differences in opinion or taste. In that sense, I would call it 'objective'.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:16 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Subjective judgment is what separates a review from a database entry. Since it's so inherent to the form, I think it's reasonable to interpret the label of "review" on a piece as applying a blanket "IMO" to all applicable statements therein. It's how the writer sees things, and the readers get to decide what to do with that viewpoint.

This is absolutely the way it should be for any anime/manga/LN-related writing that's not purely informative, and it's something that's taught in writing persuasive essays, too.

Quote:
Bonebrain wrote:
Also, try not to be inflammatory, passive-aggressive, or snarky when doing so. People are not dumb and know what you're doing when you say things like "people who like this show should probably have their hard drives checked..." in a review of I Admire Magical Girls, and....

For the record, your post is currently the only Google search result for this sentence. If it's a hypothetical example, I think the case might be better made with real ones. Otherwise you risk arguing against a person in your head, rather than one who exists in real life.

While that exact wording is hypothetical, the sentiment isn't. I have seen statements similar to that before. (Though thankfully not recently.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snowcat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:42 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

Sorry but anime aren't art, and reviews aren't art criticism.
Anime are entertainment with artistic value. If it doesn't entertain, it's a failure and a waste of time and money for everybody involved (aka. it's bad). Art, on the other hand, has by definition no utility.
So if audience (and animators) have decided that action sequence should have higher framerate, its objective. You can decide to cut completely the fight, for example making it offscreen like in Katanagatari, but you have to entertain the audience with the dialogs and in this case the trolling of the audience.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:55 am Reply with quote
Mm, I think anime can be viewed as art, or product, or both. Which lens you choose doesn't really relate to the main point I was making above, as in either case there are both subjective and objective issues to grapple with.
Wack Sage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:59 am Reply with quote
My opinion is everything can be criticized and that includes both anime and the people who criticize anime. No one should be immune from criticism. Maybe even especially if you criticize stuff for a living you should accept criticism of your words even more.

But I also don't think it matters much at the end of the day. Sword Art Online was one of the most hated anime in the early 2010s and it was still a massive success despite the scathing it got from critics. The same thing happened with Shield Hero too. A lot of the most successful and popular anime gets a lot of hate from certain critics. And despite certain series getting pushed and nothing but praise from certain outlets they still remain relatively obscure/unsuccessful.

And it'd probably presumptuous for us to think Japan cares all that much what we as westerners think about their media made for their own audience in the first place. Americans specifically not liking an anime has never stopped it from succeeding worldwide for example Saint Seiya
Helix91
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:07 pm Reply with quote
uhuurt wrote:

Now, about the non-extreme examples. The easiest angle to deem "objective" is the technical one: knowledge of animation makes you notice off-model key frames, wonky CG, missing inbetweens, blurred backgrounds, unfinished cuts, cost-saving shortcuts, etc. It doesn't end there: plot holes, contradictions, contrivances all negatively affect a screenplay and can be pointed out. Generic, cookie-cutter art direction will be felt by experienced viewers. Same goes for good and bad voice acting.

You're still conflating objective and subject statements here. The existence of off-model characters, missing inbetweens, etc. would be objective facts about the animation of a given show. Calling those things "bad" is a subjective judgement, period (even if almost everyone agrees with you!) You might think some art direction is "generic" (so do I) but people enjoy generic media all the time. And at the end of this paragraph you just cite "good and bad voice acting." Voice performances are constantly debated, do you really think we can determine objectively what good voice acting is?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5