• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Worst Anime of Winter 2024

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glordit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:41 am Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
SinisterOracle wrote:
Personally, I agree with all of the reviewers for their worst picks of the season. I did enjoy Shangri-la Frontier a lot, but I’m still not sure how it was supposed to end or if there’s more. Although someone really should’ve chosen Delusional Monthly Magazine, because that was so abhorrent and ridiculous I’m not sure how it got made. Perhaps the production committee was made up of delusional company executives?

I don’t have high hopes for the spring season either. As of now, it looks to be one of the weakest in recent years. Maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised after everything has aired a few episodes.

Spring looks weak? That has the most stacked seasonal lineup I've seen since I became an anime fan, lol

Don't worry every season ever is both the best and worst there ever was.

Metallic Rouge getting onto the "worst" list doesn't surprise me. It really needed the type of magic that Noir, Lycoris Recoil, Gunsmith Cats, Black Lagoon and El Cazador had.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:43 am Reply with quote
I realize I'm being pedantic--of course I am, I'm a nerd--but it sounds like this article should be retitled as "Most Disappointing Anime" or "Anime That Annoyed Me the Most" rather than "Worst Anime". The latter suggests a bit of an objective critical eye, and trying to paint Solo Leveling or Shangri-La Frontier as the "worst" over anime like, oh, Snack Basue or Delusional Monthly Magazine is a tad ridiculous. Nearly every one of pieces, save for maybe the truly boring Tales of Wedding Rings, contains a sentence that in effect says, "This isn't really the worst show, but it's not really my bag." Fair enough, but that's not what the article title promises. I get that it may not actually be possible to do an actual Worst Anime article because it would entail forcing the authors to watch like 60 different shows to properly make a selection. Objective takes and subjective takes are equally valid from a writing standpoint, I just personally prefer a bit more truth in advertising.
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:01 am Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
I realize I'm being pedantic--of course I am, I'm a nerd--but it sounds like this article should be retitled as "Most Disappointing Anime" or "Anime That Annoyed Me the Most" rather than "Worst Anime". The latter suggests a bit of an objective critical eye, and trying to paint Solo Leveling or Shangri-La Frontier as the "worst" over anime like, oh, Snack Basue or Delusional Monthly Magazine is a tad ridiculous. Nearly every one of pieces, save for maybe the truly boring Tales of Wedding Rings, contains a sentence that in effect says, "This isn't really the worst show, but it's not really my bag." Fair enough, but that's not what the article title promises. I get that it may not actually be possible to do an actual Worst Anime article because it would entail forcing the authors to watch like 60 different shows to properly make a selection. Objective takes and subjective takes are equally valid from a writing standpoint, I just personally prefer a bit more truth in advertising.

Are we griping over the word "objective" in this thread as well? Even if they outright stated it was their worst, It would, and I realize i'm being pedantic, still be subjective rather than objective because it's based on their opinions on just the shows they watched or, in some cases, completed.
Also, implying this is false advertising is worse than peing pedantic, it's being childish or childlike: taking every word or phrase literally unless someone holds your hand and guides you through the nuance. The first paragraph already explains there is a range for "worst".
Rosiero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:11 am Reply with quote
I really like the Tales of Wedding Rings manga. The story's not any deeper, but the characters actually manage to feel like they're alive, plus the art is good--at least on the inside. The manga covers have this kinda gross overly airbrushed look, and I almost suspect that that's the only thing they looked at for the anime.

I've seen adaptations that retroactively put me off the source material, I've seen adaptations that I just end up pretending don't exist, but this actively made me want to read the manga more just to get rid of the stink of the anime. And since it's getting a sequel season, now I'm caught between "For once, source material I like actually gets more than one season" and "But why THIS adaptation?!" So if nothing else, I'm definitely experiencing new things thanks(?) to this anime.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:22 am Reply with quote
All of the shows I watched this season are good. Put a gun to my head and I agree that Chiyu Mahou's pacing was irksome in the middle, given that it rearranged and extended manga material to have a climactic finish.
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If Shangri-La Frontier wanted to be just a goofy episodic story about characters playing a video game, why is there this massive emphasis on scale or these illusions of grandeur? If it wanted to be a more epic and engaging action series, then why are there so many instances where the characters feel like they're just sitting around doing nothing?

I think it's because that's what it's like watching someone stream a good MMO (which many people enjoy). I for one actually love all the grinding and raid prepping and futzing around in Shangri-La Frontier. It's too bad that MrAJCosplay was unable to derive the enjoyment out of it that I & many others have.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:52 am Reply with quote
Of the series I finished this season, Tales of Wedding Rings is definitely the bottom of the barrel, and for pretty much the same reasons that Nick mentions. Not too surprised that it's getting a second season despite being that bad, since quality doesn't matter for shows like this.

If we're talking about shows that I watched more than one episode of, the worst would unquestionably be My Instant Death Ability. I only tolerated that one for three episodes before dropping it.

If we're talking Most Disappointing instead, I could probably agree with calling out Metallic Rouge. Despite some cool moments, it has always felt like an underperforming mess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YourNameIsMitsuha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:03 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure the premise of this segment was understood by our reviewers. I know this because Gushing Over Magical Girls was not mentioned. Solo Leveling was not up to hype, agreed, but it was the kind of show that is undeniably a solid B grade. It is good, even though absolutely nothing is making it great. So considering it the worst makes me wonder if they watched any other anime this season at all. Same with Shangri-la Frontier, the show is too entertaining to consider the worst, given that I found even the most run of the mill looting or equipping moments to be relevant to the plot. Maybe if you are not engaged mentally while watching anime it could be boring, dunno. Maybe only the threat of a real death instead of a video game one is needed to intrigue?
Of the 8ish anime I've been keeping up on Metallic Rouge has been my pick for worst. It feels like they can wrap it up in a way I can understand, but to they will not be able to do so and also achieve any emotional impact. And there is the crime of alienating Naomi from me, unforgivable. She never recovered in my eyes from her betrayal. That and there's only 2 humans in the whole show?
sadoldguy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:15 am Reply with quote
I love the light novels and the manga adaption so I am sad that so many reviewers felt the anime adaption too long to get to the demon battle Personally I love so many of the characters, so it never bothered me.
Glordit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:31 am Reply with quote
YourNameIsMitsuha wrote:
I'm not sure the premise of this segment was understood by our reviewers. I know this because Gushing Over Magical Girls was not mentioned. Solo Leveling was not up to hype, agreed, but it was the kind of show that is undeniably a solid B grade. It is good, even though absolutely nothing is making it great. So considering it the worst makes me wonder if they watched any other anime this season at all. Same with Shangri-la Frontier, the show is too entertaining to consider the worst, given that I found even the most run of the mill looting or equipping moments to be relevant to the plot. Maybe if you are not engaged mentally while watching anime it could be boring, dunno. Maybe only the threat of a real death instead of a video game one is needed to intrigue?
Of the 8ish anime I've been keeping up on Metallic Rouge has been my pick for worst. It feels like they can wrap it up in a way I can understand, but to they will not be able to do so and also achieve any emotional impact. And there is the crime of alienating Naomi from me, unforgivable. She never recovered in my eyes from her betrayal. That and there's only 2 humans in the whole show?

Quote:
...here are our editorial team's picks for the worst anime of the season.

You missed the part where it's personal opinion, not public. I'm finding it hard to see any negativity surrounding Akogare other than "I dislike it because it's popular". Than again, I haven't looked very hard.

Last edited by Glordit on Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:32 am; edited 2 times in total
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:31 am Reply with quote
Definitely agree on Metallic Rouge. Every episode of that show leaves me shaking my head in disbelief; I just don't understand why anyone would choose to tell a story this way.

Now to my surprise, I actually kind of want to defend Solo Leveling a bit? Not that it's a great show, but as someone who usually despises video-game stat-screen isekai nonsense, I'm actually having a fun time with it. And I think that comes down to two things: the mystery of where Jinwoo's video game powers comes from makes those powers at least a little more interesting than most with potential for some cool high-concept stuff down the line, and despite being so overpowered, Jinwoo almost always goes up against opponents who are just a little bit stronger than him so he has to push himself to the limit regardless. That stuff gives the show a bit of tension and intrigue beyond watching an unstoppable god effortlessly win every battle.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not sure the premise of this segment was understood by our reviewers. I know this because Gushing Over Magical Girls was not mentioned.

Hmm, I don't think you'll convince many that Gushing Over Magical Girls is the worst anime of the season. I'd would hardly be alone in saying that it's far better than the two other ecchi shows this season, and heads and shoulders over junk like Delusion Magazine Monthly.
Eddy2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:59 am Reply with quote
Metallic Rouge is definitely the biggest letdown for me. It feels like it has way too many antagonists (I lowkey hate how one of them is just a Harley Quinn knockoff who practically serves no real purpose), and as soon as it turned out that Rouge's sister was just spoiler[being controlled by some evil voice or whatever and that she's really not a bad person], which is lazy writing, I was officially pissed off on the inside. This is supposed Bones' big anniversary project, and this is the best they could come up with? Absolutely ridiculous. They probably should've waited until their 30th anniversary or something to release this so the story could feel a lot more thought out at the very least. Still, there's only 2 episodes left, so I'm gonna finish it.

While neither of these 2 shows are particularly awful, 7th Time Loop and The Witch and the Beast didn't really feel as great as I hoped they would be.

While I somewhat enjoyed my time with it, I still don't feel like I fully understood why light novel readers hyped up 7th Time Loop so much, to the point where even some of them considered it one of their favorite series of all time (no, I'm not joking when I say I actually saw people say that). The title is pretty misleading for no real reason, as Rishe is literally the exact opposite of a villainess. She's definitely a solid female lead regardless, and Arnold is okay I guess, but they both kind of lack the charm and chemistry that Raeliana and Noah had in my opinion (I especially like the VAs for those 2 a lot more than Rishe and Arnold's). Oh, and the blonde douchebag's way of thinking near the end? Kind of stupid.

As for The Witch and the Beast, I was expecting a bit more than just another monster-of-the-week series where the villain's screentime extends beyond just one episode, which is fine for what it is, but I was expecting to at least… I don't know, feel or learn something from those events after I heard how good the manga was, I guess? Also, the main duo (moreso Guideau) feels pretty shallow to me, and the latest episode made me wish they were fleshed out the way they were much sooner than this so I could actually care about them a bit more, and had much better chemistry with each other throughout the show. I heard Guideau is supposed to learn to be more empathetic or something at some point in the story, but it doesn't seem like I'll get to see enough of that development any time soon.

Ngl, I think Solo Leveling and Chained Soldier (despite the CGI fights and Tenka sort of bringing the show down for me) beat the shit out of all 3 of these by a long shot lmao. I know, I'm weird like that. I definitely gotta try The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic, Delicious in Dungeon, and maybe even Doctor Elise at some point just to remind myself how stupid I feel for missing these. It's weirdly the exact same thing that happened to me last winter season where I tried Tomo-chan, The Magical Revolution, and Buddy Daddies at a much later time and enjoyed them way more than almost anything else I watched weekly that season.

Last edited by Eddy2 on Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm just happy to see multiple people calling out Solo Leveling as the generic garbage it is regardless of how amazing it's visuals and soundtrack are.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure the premise of this segment was understood by our reviewers. I know this because Gushing Over Magical Girls was not mentioned.

Hmm, I don't think you'll convince many that Gushing Over Magical Girls is the worst anime of the season. I'd would hardly be alone in saying that it's far better than the two other ecchi shows this season, and heads and shoulders over junk like Delusion Magazine Monthly.

Oh, I'd even go a step farther: I don't see how anyone can watch all of all three of the heavy-ecchi shows in the Winter '24 season and not come away regarding GOMG as clearly the best of the lot. Anyone who can look past the fan service will notice that it has some surprisingly good character development and storytelling elements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12