• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Worst Anime of Winter 2024

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Todd_Harry08 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Todd_Harry08 wrote:
Adding rouge in there while it was really smart show that few will understand sadly.

Ah yes, the classic, "it's a really good show but you numbskulls are simply too stupid to understand it!" Gotta love it.

lol Nope you probably thought it was "boring or dull" Gotta love it.

Actually, nonsensical and sometimes poorly structured is closer to the mark. Plus here's a communication pro-tip: if you want to refute what somebody has said regarding one of your posts, it's never a bad idea to actually provide some reasoning.

q_3 wrote:
It's not just clicks on the article, at least half the ensuing discussion has been about the title. You're all playing right into Kadokawa's hands by giving ANN more engagement!!

(But seriously, the ever predictable complaints that "worst" is not being used to mean "objectively lowest quality" are almost as tiresome as the implicit notion that there exists an objective measure of quality.)

For me, your point misses the mark. When I see the title at ANN, The Best Anime of ______, I may not agree with some selections, but at least I know that the reviewers have actually watched shows that are likely to fall in that category. The same does not hold true for a feature called The Worst Anime of _______. I know for a fact ANN reviewers will - for intelligent and obvious reasons - avoid those shows like the plague. Therefore using a title like that is pointless. Calling it The Most Disappointing Anime of ________ isn't going to reduce the amount of bitching from posters enraged to find one of their favourites on that list but at least nobody will be able to legitimately claim that the title of the feature is ridiculous.

By the same token, I have no issue with something like Delicious in Dungeon appearing in a Worst of list IF the reviewer actually believes the show is bad. I would disagree with the opinion but that's what it is... an opinion. But when it's a "this show isn't bad but I found it disappointing..." then by definition it shouldn't be in a Worst of list. This is just how English works, folks.

>nonsensical and sometimes poorly structured is closer to the mark

you clearly lost interest or didn't pay attention enough which shows how much you didn't even care about it in the first place lol.

also i don't have to my explain anything if you basically don't care and your reasoning is bland as a stone.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:55 am Reply with quote
Todd_Harry08 wrote:
you clearly lost interest or didn't pay attention enough which shows how much you didn't even care about it in the first place lol.

Some of us, at least, did keep interest and pay attention and still agree with the criticisms. Besides, making a statement like "it was really smart show that few will understand" in stark contrast to what seems to be prevailing opinion without providing any explanation to back up your position just comes across sounding pretentious.

There are many series where full appreciation may require more than one viewing, and I won't rule out that MR could be one of them. Presumably you've done this, so what are you seeing that the rest of us are missing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jabootu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:10 am Reply with quote
Boy, I take the night off and miss a lot. Obviously others have taken a whack at cutslo's ludicrous posturing, which serves as yet another example of the directive Do Not Feed the Trolls. Go with God, Mr. Cutslo.

q_3 asserteth

Quote:
Calling it The Most Disappointing Anime of ________ isn't going to reduce the amount of bitching from posters enraged to find one of their favourites on that list but at least nobody will be able to legitimately claim that the title of the feature is ridiculous.

Very, very few of the commenters here in this extended debate have done anything like that. And I haven't seen anyone even close to be anyone being "enraged", so that just silly. Perplexed, perhaps, but enraged? C'mon. 95% of the criticism, which is completely valid, is that the title of the article did not match the content of the article. As, indeed, you yourself agree.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:17 am Reply with quote
The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic is fun not boring sorry if you expected some plot twists and some detailed plot imo
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:19 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Todd_Harry08 wrote:

Some of us, at least, did keep interest and pay attention and still agree with the criticisms. Besides, making a statement like "it was really smart show that few will understand" in stark contrast to what seems to be prevailing opinion without providing any explanation to back up your position just comes across sounding pretentious.

There are many series where full appreciation may require more than one viewing, and I won't rule out that MR could be one of them. Presumably you've done this, so what are you seeing that the rest of us are missing?

It's interesting and have a complex plot despite requiring some attention which shouldn't be that hard.

Last edited by Todd_Harry08 on Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:40 am Reply with quote
The picks for disappointment or worst are spicy takes, but I get it. I don't think the picks were chosen to bait folks so kind of a bummer thinking this was made for rage bait. I don't agree with their choices outside of one or two, but still. Some of y'all need to take a chill pill.

I know some people have said it has good character development, but Gushing Over Magical Girls is still the worst show I saw last season. Kind of hard to tell folks to sit through the fanservice of middle school girls to get to the character development when it was more interested in the fanservice stuff for a lot of the show's runtime. I like shows taking pot shots at genres like magical girls, but ugh...it just wasn't worth sitting through the ick to get to whatever there was that folks liked.

I guess for me, my worst choices were Gushing, Tales of the Wedding Rings, Snack Bassu (I'm shocked none of writers picked this one), Meiji Gekken became too much homework to enjoy its story and action, and despite it being a "parody" of isekais, My Overpowered Death Ability was so dull and obnoxious to sit through. Also having to be TOLD it was meant to be a parody, then that's a bad sign.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:22 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Actually, if you read properly you'd see a lot of this complaints in this thread were about what people considered a misleading title given the fact so many of the reviewers expressed some version of, "...this is not a bad show, but here's why I'm disappointed in it."

I didn’t miss that. I just didn’t acknowledge as while it was a fair argument not everyone was specifically hung up on that.

And like I said before if they made an article that did what some of these people wanted the writers to do i.e. not waffling on calling out specific anime of a given season the worst would everyone accept the criticism without protest and hurt feelings?
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:06 pm Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
The picks for disappointment or worst are spicy takes, but I get it. I don't think the picks were chosen to bait folks so kind of a bummer thinking this was made for rage bait. I don't agree with their choices outside of one or two, but still. Some of y'all need to take a chill pill.

If they were rage baiting they probably wouldn’t include all the disclaimers saying the chosen shows were good or not bad.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Actually, if you read properly you'd see a lot of this complaints in this thread were about what people considered a misleading title given the fact so many of the reviewers expressed some version of, "...this is not a bad show, but here's why I'm disappointed in it."

I didn’t miss that. I just didn’t acknowledge as while it was a fair argument not everyone was specifically hung up on that.

And like I said before if they made an article that did what some of these people wanted the writers to do i.e. not waffling on calling out specific anime of a given season the worst would everyone accept the criticism without protest and hurt feelings?

If this was called "anime that disappointed me this season", it would have to be far more in-depth description of specific failures to be interesting or worth any attention. It would still be better than this false title though
Also nice try saying "not everybody was specifically hung up on that" when you clearly wrote "All the complaints seemingly amount". First you try to tar everybody with same brush and use that to dismiss all criticism, then you try to walk it back.

By the way, "so bad it's good" isn't good argument for "everything is subjective, it usually means acknowledging something is bad yet can be enjoyed, often in different way than clearly intended by author. It's argument on the side of "I can tell it's objectively bad yet I can enjoy enjoy it", the other side of "I can understand why it's good, but personally i can't enjoy it." that Jabootu mentioned before.

camseyeview140 wrote:

I guess for me, my worst choices were Gushing, Tales of the Wedding Rings, Snack Bassu (I'm shocked none of writers picked this one), Meiji Gekken became too much homework to enjoy its story and action, and despite it being a "parody" of isekais, My Overpowered Death Ability was so dull and obnoxious to sit through. Also having to be TOLD it was meant to be a parody, then that's a bad sign.

When I read the manga, I didn't need to be told it's a parody, not most of the readers in the discussion threads, so while I don't think manga is some kind of comedy masterpiece, I think it's anime adaptation was just lacking in humour, or was presented to seriously.

As for Gushing, One thing to mention is that anime upped the fanservice angle - while often adaptations that don't tone down the fanservice end up increasing it, even just due to the way the focus on ecchi in anime differs from focus on ecchi panels when reading manga, some adaptations also clearly tap into fanservice.

It's something I notice with Mieruko-chan before - series that dropped fanservice completely later on, so clearly it wasn't necessary component, and IMHO badly matching the horror side, yet it was welcomed by anime viewers. I think that Gushing in manga version is superior, because the focus isn't as much on sexualizing, despite being clearly manga about horniness of teenagers, but about sex-based relations between them. That said, I don't think that just because show is hard to sit through means it's worst of the season, if it actually has interesting character development. Maybe if standards for anime were much higher, but I can't accept it as long as many shows don't even have proper characters, merely cardboard cutouts of popular tropes.
Jabootu wrote:
Boy, I take the night off and miss a lot. Obviously others have taken a whack at cutslo's ludicrous posturing, which serves as yet another example of the directive Do Not Feed the Trolls. Go with God, Mr. Cutslo.

I don't think they're trolling, people do have those pedantic arguments and their first post in this thread was actually pretty well written, especially the points about wishy-washiness and about spicy attacks on NNB for rural propaganda instead of silly ecchi winter gyaru T&A harem anime that many people dropped due to dislike of later manga arcs.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I doubt, even if they did name the article 'Our worst anime' or 'The most disappointing anime' of the season, that the readers would be satisfied. There would still be complaints simply because many of the picks are popular shows. They would be arguing other points such as how the authors are biased or elitist or whatever -- anything to defend their favorites.
LadyUranus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree on Metallic Rouge being an absolute mess. Its soundtrack, however, became an instant favorite.

I kept waiting for Solo Leveling to get around to doing something. They keep cutting to these other characters for seemingly no reason. Is there even a mystery to solve as to how the main character got his powers, or are we just ignoring that?

I think my fave of the season might Level 99, surprisingly. That and Apothecary Diaries were consistently enjoyable.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:46 am Reply with quote
SaneSavantElla wrote:
I doubt, even if they did name the article 'Our worst anime' or 'The most disappointing anime' of the season, that the readers would be satisfied. There would still be complaints simply because many of the picks are popular shows. They would be arguing other points such as how the authors are biased or elitist or whatever -- anything to defend their favorites.

I agree and said the same thing when I suggested the possible “Our” name change, I just don’t think it’s a reason not to fix an incorrect title.

Better than a name change would be to find some way to have writers talk about things they can confidently state are (in their opinion) the worst of the season, though. There are unique advantages to that kind of content that explain why a lot of people click on articles with titles like this. The problem is that watching a whole season of a show primarily for one Worst Of article is a big commitment that probably wouldn’t be worth the effort. (To be fair some of my favourite episode reviews have been of terrible shows, but even then I don’t know how profitable that is in effect.)

Outsourcing to someone who already watches terrible shows (with a shorter “the worst thing our regulars completed this season” tacked on) as suggested by another user seems like a possible solution.
ShouldBeNEET

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:17 am Reply with quote
This whole article demonstrates how out of touch ANN is with the zeitgeist. I suppose that's the problem when most of the writing staff are pushing forty. Who seriously thinks that Delicious in Dungeon is the worst of the season? Absolute insanity.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:08 am Reply with quote
ShouldBeNEET wrote:
This whole article demonstrates how out of touch ANN is with the zeitgeist.

I see comments like this come up from time to time, but I starkly disagree. ANN (and its writers and editors) are plenty well aware of anime zeitgeist; that's been demonstrated repeatedly over the years and I still see evidence of that every time the Preview Guides roll around. However, due to a combination of long-standing editorial policy and the fact that ANN generally recruits proven, seasoned writers, the site isn't a slave to zeitgeist. It has no problem with writers bucking mainstream thought. For some, that's a "for better or worse" situation, but that's fine. It helps prevent the kind of groupthink has that pervaded some other fields of criticism.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:55 am Reply with quote
ShouldBeNEET wrote:
This whole article demonstrates how out of touch ANN is with the zeitgeist. I suppose that's the problem when most of the writing staff are pushing forty. Who seriously thinks that Delicious in Dungeon is the worst of the season?

The thing is, if you read the wording, I don’t think the writer does seriously think that. He thinks it’s the worst series he watched this season, which was likely made up of a relatively low(?) number of series selected to suit his tastes, and even then he has to put the word “worst” in quotation marks.

The article title gives kind of the impression it’s going to have something to do with “The Worst Anime of Winter 2024”, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12