• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Worst Anime of Winter 2024

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Metallic Rouge has since mutated into a bloated and convoluted mélange smashing dozens of figures and tropes of varying importance into a story progressing with all the breathless speed and intermittent intelligibility of a blender on its highest setting. In short, it's a mess. There are story detours that work against its best facets. Its themes are buried under several layers of equivocating mud—in which potentially meaningful points are undermined by its desire to be nuanced without taking the time to earnestly grapple with that nuance.

Reading this made me think that Metallic Rouge might be better than what I had experienced from watching it so far. I mean, this looks like what someone would have written critically about NGE back in the day.

Anyway, I am finding MR entertaining enough to grab my attention, which is something the vast majority of anime and other kinds of shows fail to do. The fact it's very fast paced is good IMO to make it entertaining in it being ludicrous in a metanarrative sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Agree on the dungeon cooking show getting better further in. Not perfect but really nice overall. And the [jigsaw] climax was especially strong — a top-tier scene that stands above the rest of the show for me.

Spastic Minnow wrote:
They should probably just surrender the bulk of this article to someone else, some independent voice that makes an effort to really look at the actually worst shows, Like Jeff from My Mother's Basement or like that. The regulars can also briefly list these "worst of what I watched" choices.

That could genuinely work. I do like reading the regulars talking about what they watched that disappointed them, it’s just not a worst anime of the season article.

cutslo wrote:
I don't think nobody actually expects a scientific investigation into what is objectively the worst anime of the season from an article like this. I mean, the closest you'll ever get to that would be just to point out what rated the lowest on MAL or something, and everyone can just look that up easily (it's Delusional Monthly, by the way). Something like this will only ever be "here's some things we personally thought were pretty bad in this season and we want to write about", only with a more catchy title.

It's just that it's pretty eyerolling when every writer feels the need to drop the same disclaimer up front instead of owning that their "worst of the season" might possibly not actually be the one everyone agrees on. If you're going to do that, you might as well just change the title too.

Agreed except I think it’s more than just an annoying disclaimer that people might not agree. I think most genuinely don’t feel their choices even might be the worst of the season for themselves subjectively if they’d watched more shows this season.

Kind of a less extreme form of: if someone only watched one show this year, it would technically be their personal Best and Worst, but they wouldn’t actually think of it in terms of both “Best Anime of 2024!” and “Worst Anime of 2024!” The terms imply something is very good or very bad when used outside of specific contexts.

Takkun4343 wrote:
Personally, I second whoever suggested renaming it from "The Worst" to "Our Worst". Rolls off the tongue better, fits the end product better, and still technically correct!

Thirded. Whoever suggested that must be some sort of handsome genius imho.

ThrowMeOut wrote:
It's a shame there's not more reviewers digging around in the trash here. Consuming and dissecting garbage shows can be quite fascinating. My partner and I have had more in-depth conversations about the bad shows than good ones. Where they went wrong, what they could have done instead, what their intentions were, where they ran out of money, ect. ect. Though I understand that time is limited and an article about popular shows will get way more clicks than an article about why Fluffy Paradise imploded, or whatever.

Exactly. I actually like reading the regulars talk about good/OK shows that disappointed or didn't gel with them, but there’s a reason people are interested in reading about actual bad shows. There’s often a lot to learn and discuss as well as a lot of potential for humour.

(Just adding that I do think disappointment is a valid reason for including something on a Worst list if it’s bad enough to make you enjoy it less than other technically worse shows, though. 7SEEDS and Promised Neverland S2 come to mind.)
Nipasu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Out of everything I've seen this winter, the only thing I found myself not enjoying is Frieren.

Of course this is just my thinking, but I just couldn't get myself to liking this series for some reason. I like Freiren as a character, but the overall story seems....forgettable? Like, I cannot remember what happened after the demons were defeated and I keep forgetting why they're travelling afterwards. The Goatee Priest came and went. Animation wise it's a nice show but I wasn't a fan of the Star and Fern dance sequence (looked like CGI was involved, but don't take my take seriously. I know nothing about animation).

Stark is fine, but I am not a fan of Fern. Controversially, she is my least favorite person. And Frieren's past party friends are okay, but I wish the flashbacks didn't go back and forth with the continuity (like before they defeated the Demon King and after they defeated the demon king).

Freiren isn't a bad show, but it just wasn't for me. I don't know why, but I was never fully engaged in the show despite watching the dub since it premiered. I'll still finish it since it's almost over, but I still rank it as my last favorite show this season.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I can understand folks not getting into Dungeon Meshi. It wasn't, like, generally transcendent, or anything? It just had an unusual hook that it explored with way more passion, attention to detail, and polish than most shows, and it executed on character fundamentals decently besides. If its unique(-ish; food themes are getting more common I suppose) hook didn't appeal to you, especially after a few episodes, I can't imagine any of the rest of the show changing that. Watching what crazy way their party'd dig into the dungeon's ecology next really was core to its appeal IMO.

Philville wrote:
... endless debate about whether criticism is objective or subjective... I don't want to go further off topic, but the fact is that "authorial" intention (or "goals", or "motives") is tricky business, and that isn't just the case for artists who died half a millenum ago... It isn't lazy to say that criticism is subjective, simply because "criticism" is a fluid historical category, and something performed by people, who necessarily have varying perspectives and prejudices

"It's hard to figure out the author's intent; we can only guess" doesn't imply that (all of?) criticism is subjective, just that you have uncertainty -- maybe great uncertainty -- about what the author's goal was. If someone's throwing darts at a target, but a curtain hides the target from you, the target hasn't disappeared.

There are of course plenty of cases where authorial intent is murky even to the artist or constantly shifting or something, and maybe even rare cases where it's just straight-up ill-defined, and there are plenty of components of most criticism that are quite intentionally "just, like, my opinion, man". However, anyone who has set out to create art knows perfectly well there are many occasions where you have a pretty clear vision and simply fail to execute on it; where failure is a 'skill issue', not a difference in artistic vision. That kind of failure can be objectively, albeit with uncertainty, inferred and commented on.

This seems largely irrelevant to this thread, though. People are mostly complaining that even the reviewers themselves disavow the goal stated in the piece's title; in many cases they're not saying they interpret "worst" differently, but that they explicitly don't plan to write about what they felt was worst. That doesn't personally really bother me; it almost feels like a cheeky tradition of the ANN writers at this point to play pretty liberally with this kind of ranking assignment, I guess? But, I can see why maybe people feels it's click-bait-y, or why it might bother people who are new to ANN more, or some such.

I do kind of wonder if there was a time period where it wasn't so common to be so playful with the assigning of 'worst'. I have the vague impression that a half-decade ago it wasn't, but that's as likely a false memory on my part as a real one. Might be fun to dig up some of the old columns and try to get a sense if it sort of became more fashionable over time to play with the idea of 'worst' more.

I think usually reviewers would say "this is the worst that I watched this season" and sometimes they would say "there wasn't anything bad among shows I watched this season, so since I don't want to label any of them as 'worst' unfairly, I'll tell you what disappointed me most instead". This is first time I've seen basically every review say "this isn't actually bad, but", and in one case even go for "this reminded me of my shitty hometown". Like, people were writing for centuries about leaving city life for small communities, why get on a case of silly ecchi romcom for this? Frankly, this seems more worth of TWIA column about good but disappointing anime. I still recommend title "most undercooked" despite it making me cringe.

As for objectivity, that quote from Baudelaire is pretty good. We can never get 100% objective measure, like telling if Frieren is really better than FMA because it dethroned it on MAL, but we should strive for as broad view as possible - review consisting mainly of reviewers feelings is not worthy of being called as such. Morality is certainly to some degree subjective, yet we as society agree that murder and rape is objectively wrong, even if what was and wasn't immoral in war is often disputed (see current war in Gaza) and for example statutory rape (including age gaps) laws in different countries differ enough that what is rape in one can be perfectly legal in another, but it doesn't mean rape or murder being bad is "subjective". Similarly, we can clearly tell in many cases if anime is good or bad, even if we personally and subjectively enjoyed or disliked it, and if someone claims that popular and critically acclaimed anime like Frieren or "...Diaries" are worst of the season, it's either trolling for views or dumb opinion, either way signaling that its writer is not worth listening to.

I'd say reviews should strive to be objective in a sense of being emphatic, and also clear to many different readers, which mean some degree of commonly understood objectivity. That does fit with "written from an exclusive point of view, but a point of view that opens up the widest horizons". Anyway, simply saying "reviews are always subjective" is IMHO just lazy copout, in this I agree with Jabootu.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the discussions, everyone, it's been instructional and fun. I'll leave the field at this point, as I believe I've explicated my positions to the extent that I'm capable of. After this it would be (further?) wheel spinning on my part. I always appreciate coming across another K-On! buff, though.

I kind of like the suggestion of renaming the piece as "Our Worst Anime of the Season," which I think remains a clickbaity title but is more accurate. I also liked the suggestion that they assign a person or two to find and watch the actual worst shows each season and give them their own slot each season. It's more content, right? And there are always people out there willing to hate watch stuff (or watch it because they generally enjoy trash anime, ala the gamer in Shangri La Frontier). Although obviously you'd also want someone with some critical insight and who is funny.

Finally, a hat tip to the person (sorry, I started writing this without noting names first after reading all the comments accumulated since last night) who summed up the Gushing "controversy" with the idea that, hey, it's fine if you don't like it, just don't act morally superior because of it.

And finally finally, I'll add my vote to the people who didn't quite get as much from Delicious in Dungeons as most of the reviewers did. Obviously it's a good show and I enjoyed it and all, but it didn't land nearly as hard for me as it apparently did for many others. Which, obviously, is fine. To sum up the two various conversational threads I've been following/instigating here, Dungeon is a markedly better show than Gushing by just about every possible objective metric, and clearly was going to please more people. However, I myself found Gushing's modest successes more entertaining than Delicious' more profound ones. Friday was Frieren Day, Saturday was Dangers in my Heart Days, Wednesday was Gushing Over Magical Girls day, but Thursday was just the day that Delicious in Dungeon happened to be playing if I remembered to check on Netflix.
YourNameIsMitsuha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am Reply with quote
[quote="Lily Garden"][quote="YourNameIsMitsuha"]
Jabootu wrote:
Quote:

This anime could have been made about people of any age, but they chose very young characters. .

Given that Gushing is parodying magical girl shows, which tend to have a very young cast, and is parodying Precure specifically, which has a middle school cast, I don't think the creators could have made the characters differently aged without making the allusions less apparent.

Haven't seen any Precure, so I can't speak to that directly. However, all it honestly takes is bare minimum effort to make an older age range work. Example: the world they chose seems to already be saturated with magic girls, and they've probably been around for a while. Just chose ones that have grown up a little... Same setting, same premise, just do it to adults instead. "But what about their innocence" you argue pathetically... Magic girls are expected to act purely anyway, that's easy to maintain... If the creators wanted to work with older characters they could have with minimum imagination and we all would have been just as happy with it. At the end of the day, they made the choice to stick with young girls. And that choice makes it so I am unable to recommend it to anyone.

Jabootu wrote:
YourNameIsMitsuha:

Quote:
And I have gotten a fair helping of "ick" from it.

Is Alice sexualized? Well, Alice isn't ever stripped or herself subjected to anything.

Since you aren't familiar with the word: sexualized means "made sexual; given sexual associations". She is sexualized by making other people perform the acts, and she was a participant as well. Fact: Alice is sexualized. If you find yourself struggling to find a loophole on an argument of this nature, you probably should just stop.
Moral mileage varies, and I get that. My opinion is Gushing over Magical Girls is the worst anime of the season because the creators chose to sell it on sexualized middle/grade schoolers when they did not have to. That to me is creepy and unrecommendable. I thought some reviewers generally agreed given reactions in the preview, so I feel genuinely surprised that none mentioned it whatsoever, even as an aside. Guess they didn't watch it, and that's probably for the best.
Philville

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Personally, my worst of the season is Ninja Kamui. The action animation is solid, but it's a little too excessive on the murder for its own good. That and it's really running Higan's angst about his family being dead iPersonally, my worst of the season is Ninja Kamui. The action animation is solid, but it's a little too excessive on the murder for its own good. That and it's really running Higan's angst about his family being dead into the ground.nto the ground.

I actually really liked Ninja Kamui for precisely that reason – it commits fully to its spiel, for better or worse. But I can see how it’s not for everyone.

Nipasu wrote:
Out of everything I've seen this winter, the only thing I found myself not enjoying is Frieren. . . . Of course this is just my thinking, but I just couldn't get myself to liking this series for some reason. I like Freiren as a character, but the overall story seems....forgettable? Like, I cannot remember what happened after the demons were defeated and I keep forgetting why they're travelling afterwards. . . . And Frieren's past party friends are okay, but I wish the flashbacks didn't go back and forth with the continuity (like before they defeated the Demon King and after they defeated the demon king).

… and I can also see how Frieren isn’t for everyone (which is why I’m somewhat surprised by its popularity), especially if you’re focusing on the main plot. But your comment is actually quite apt in this context, since “forgetting” (or memory, in general) is an important theme in the series itself. My feeling is that most people prefer the reflective, poetic, introspective moments/scenes/episodes where Frieren remembers her previous quest to the present-day action-oriented narrative (which takes up a lot of screen time in the second half of the season). The flashbacks are definitely my favorite part of the series (and this is coming from someone who generally hates flashbacks). That said, it's actually refreshing to see someone with a different take on this very successful show.

NeverConvex wrote:
It's hard to figure out the author's intent; we can only guess"[/i] doesn't imply that (all of?) criticism is subjective, just that you have uncertainty -- maybe great uncertainty -- about what the author's goal was. If someone's throwing darts at a target, but a curtain hides the target from you, the target hasn't disappeared. . . . There are of course plenty of cases where authorial intent is murky even to the artist or constantly shifting or something, and maybe even rare cases where it's just straight-up ill-defined, and there are plenty of components of most criticism that are quite intentionally "just, like, my opinion, man". However, anyone who has set out to create art knows perfectly well there are many occasions where you have a pretty clear vision and simply fail to execute on it; where failure is a 'skill issue', not a difference in artistic vision. That kind of failure can be objectively, albeit with uncertainty, inferred and commented on.

Yes, but again, sometimes creators don’t have a specific predefined vision of what they are going for, and instead of sticking to the script, they go with the flow to see where the artistic process takes them. You are right that there are plenty of instances where a work fails execute on its vision (which may also be due to things like budget, staffing or crunch problems in the case of anime, as we know) but I still don’t see how this qualifies as “objective” failure, and in any case, that’s a matter of the artist’s intent (which we were admittedly discussing), not necessarily how the work is received by an audience. The moment there is "uncertainty", as you say, then it isn't really "objective" anymore -- and that's fine. Uncertainty and ambiguity are nothing if not hallmarks of great art, which should be open to interpretation. On the other hand, if a show needs to tick all sorts of boxes for “objective” success then we would be left with corporate cookie-cutter shows (of which there are obviously plenty, isekai or otherwise) with no room for any kind of genuine creativity (or commentary). More relevantly, when a critic says that something failed to live up to their own personal expectations (as is often the case in this article), it is necessarily subjective, which was my initial point (in reply to a comment Jabootu made). It's an extremely basic point, but we often forget that "critics" are (or ideally, should be) "fans" as well; like all of us, they have a personal attachment (or aversion) -- i.e., strong opinions -- to the things they like (or dislike), which is why distinguishing between the two "categories" is often counterproductive, in my opinion.

a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:

I think usually reviewers would say "this is the worst that I watched this season" and sometimes they would say "there wasn't anything bad among shows I watched this season, so since I don't want to label any of them as 'worst' unfairly, I'll tell you what disappointed me most instead". This is first time I've seen basically every review say "this isn't actually bad, but", and in one case even go for "this reminded me of my shitty hometown". Like, people were writing for centuries about leaving city life for small communities, why get on a case of silly ecchi romcom for this? Frankly, this seems more worth of TWIA column about good but disappointing anime. I still recommend title "most undercooked" despite it making me cringe. . . . As for objectivity, that quote from Baudelaire is pretty good. We can never get 100% objective measure, like telling if Frieren is really better than FMA because it dethroned it on MAL, but we should strive for as broad view as possible - review consisting mainly of reviewers feelings is not worthy of being called as such. . . . . Similarly, we can clearly tell in many cases if anime is good or bad, even if we personally and subjectively enjoyed or disliked it, and if someone claims that popular and critically acclaimed anime like Frieren or "...Diaries" are worst of the season, it's either trolling for views or dumb opinion, either way signaling that its writer is not worth listening to. . . . I'd say reviews should strive to be objective in a sense of being emphatic, and also clear to many different readers, which mean some degree of commonly understood objectivity. That does fit with "written from an exclusive point of view, but a point of view that opens up the widest horizons". Anyway, simply saying "reviews are always subjective" is IMHO just lazy copout, in this I agree with Jabootu.

You seem to have a pretty reasonable and measured response to this issue, so I’m somewhat surprised by that last sentence. I mean you surely acknowledge that “good” and “bad” aren’t fixed, objective markers, and that what you find "good" is precisely what someone else might find “bad”? I agree that there is something like “commonly understood objectivity” except as I pointed out tastes also change radically over time and are conditioned by all sorts of factors (and this applies to anime too). Van Gogh sold only one painting in his lifetime, as you may know. We always say that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but prevailing standards of what merits the label of "art" are perpetually changing.

I was struck by this in particular when reading the previews for Ishura; one reviewer claimed the show looked good, the other said that it looked terrible (or something along those lines). Who’s right? Yes, we can start debating the color palette, background art, line work, compositing, rendering, keyframes etc., but at the end of the day you have two different subjective responses to the same work. There’s no accounting for taste – some people love, others hate 3DCG animation, to use one controversial example. Your first paragraph actually summarizes what I was suggesting about criticism being subjective. I think that what we’re really talking about isn’t whether criticism is subjective or objective, but rather whether a particular piece of criticism is good or bad (again, a matter of subjective interpretation), which ultimately comes down to how persuasive it is. Is it using convincing arguments based on analysis and attention to detail, or just reductive commentary based on gut reaction? You are pointing out that the reviewer’s criticism of a series because of negative personal experiences isn’t much of a critical argument, since it is a biased reaction. Then again, if this is an opinion piece (and even if it were a review), we can’t really fault the authors for this. What is problematic, as the comments show, is labelling these things “best” or “worse”, especially since this might stop people from actually checking out a series that might be worth their time because of their reliance on reviews (which was my initial point, in my first post). I'm always wary of reviewers who try to pass off their subjective impressions as fact, but at least most of these authors actually provided disclaimers (for which they are now getting flak). So, once again, the problem resides in the article title: if the words "best" and "worst" hadn't been used, we wouldn't even be having this discussion -- and perhaps the article would then have gotten less attention (which is the cynical way of seeing this).

Jabootu wrote:
Thanks for the discussions, everyone, it's been instructional and fun. I'll leave the field at this point, as I believe I've explicated my positions to the extent that I'm capable of. After this it would be (further?) wheel spinning on my part. I always appreciate coming across another K-On! buff, though.

Same here. These are important discussions that sadly often end in shouting matches. And yes, K-On! deserves all the love it can get. Did you like Bocchi?
Sasuke149

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am Reply with quote
How did Dungeon Meshi make the list?? That's sad really. My pick for the worst anime would be:

Metallic Rouge: The story was all over the place, couldn't enjoy it after the initial few episodes. The animation also turned bad towards the end.
The Fire Hunter: Everything except those still images that came up twice or thrice each episode and the clothes design was bad in this anime, especially the animation. But unlike Metallic Rouge the story had some potential. If only a better studio animated this.
Brave Bang Bravern!: Contrary to popular opinion, I hated this anime. The silliness made me laugh sometimes, I will admit, but overall I couldn't stomach it. It's a worse version of Samurai Flamenco, which at least started out strong. Also the constant Engrish and the art-style just aren't for me.

Also disappointed seeing so many people mention Solo Leveling. It might be generic, but the animation, at the very least, was really good. Do you guys seriously think it's worse than the ones above? Smh.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 am Reply with quote
The column kind've oddly piqued my interest in Metallic Rouge, and this thread, similarly, in Instant Death. I don't usually 'hate watch' shows, but I'm curious now if they're worth dipping my toes into the shallow end of to see how badly things went wrong.

The Fire Hunter's also an interesting example. I struggle to call it 'worst', but I would definitely give it 'most disappointing'---a theme with its run has been a huge mismatch between technical execution and the apparent ambition of its world-building and storytelling. The animation quality in particular often felt like a low-framerate slideshow (and contrasted in a really depressing way with the fluid, distinctively beautiful animation in its OP--like seeing what we couldn't have!); maybe that was an 'artistic choice', as some people have argued in the past, but it feels much more like a major budget was cut or production schedules severely screwed up, to me. It's weird, though; I've said it before, but this actually works on some level better for me than most anime as an ad for the manga -- I actually want to read the TFH manga more than something like Freiren, because the latter I've already experienced in a near-perfect (imo, obviously) form, while TFH I get the sense has depths the anime never succeeded in conveying effectively.

Philville wrote:
You are right that there are plenty of instances where a work fails execute on its vision (which may also be due to things like budget, staffing or crunch problems in the case of anime, as we know) but I still don’t see how this qualifies as “objective” failure... The moment there is "uncertainty", as you say, then it isn't really "objective" anymore -- and that's fine.

Narrowing in on primarily this part to avoid creating a lengthy quote-a-thon that clogs the thread: I'm not trying to be pedantic and pull out a dictionary, here, but 'objective' doesn't mean 'certain' -- there are even entire vistas of science and mathematics devoted precisely to studying the uncertain! 'objective' just means we're talking about a fixed feature of the world that won't vary depending on who observes, interprets, or reacts to it. If, say, I set out to make a realistic 3D model of a humanoid character but the end result is a jarring collage of anatomically impossible terror (which I have done in the past, quite frequently Laughing ), then the mismatch between my goal and what I achieved, and that it derived from my lack of technical ability, is an objective fact. The goal I set for myself was, of course, subjective; that I judged the gap as significant was probably a mix of subjective and objective (depending on what exactly about my monstrosity struck me as not achieving my goal, whether the mood it evoked or whether it failed in form on a more technical level).

I could claim after-the-fact that my vision was different than what it actually was, or just never tell anyone whether I achieved my vision, of course; but while this kind of obfuscation creates a guessing game, it does not change the original mismatch in goal and execution (given that I had a reasonably clear goal in the first place; this is not always the case, of course, as you say, and as I noted previously as well). In terms of critique, this can be used to make 'objective' statements, albeit with uncertainty, by viewing a show, noticing commonly made errors, and using expert judgement to assess whether they were more likely an artistic choice to deviate from convention, or a failure of ability.

Philville wrote:
More relevantly, when a critic says that something failed to live up to their own personal expectations (as is often the case in this article), it is necessarily subjective, which was my initial point (in reply to a comment Jabootu made).

Yes, I agree with this more narrow statement. Both what the reviewer's expectations were, and how large the gap was, are subjective (well, how large the gap is can be both, but especially at ANN, is mostly subjective, most of the time... probably).

I think usually reviewers would say "this is the worst that I watched this season" and sometimes they would say "there wasn't anything bad among shows I watched this season, so since I don't want to label any of them as 'worst' unfairly, I'll tell you what disappointed me most instead". This is first time I've seen basically every review say "this isn't actually bad, but", and in one case even go for "this reminded me of my shitty hometown".

Huh, maybe I'm not misremembering, then, and it's just something the reviewers have enjoyed playing with and have run a little amok with this year? For a while now, I think the 'Worst' column has been trending more towards a creative-writing exercise than a more narrowly scoped editorial (which, again, I'm fine with, but seems to be what is mostly upsetting folks).

Maybe there's even a bit of a feedback loop -- I wonder whether threads like this make the reviewers want to be more or less free-form about the assignment. Laughing
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 am Reply with quote
Honestly, the worst thing I think I've seen this season is officially this thread. Rolling Eyes
Hal14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am Reply with quote
Sasuke149 wrote:
How did Dungeon Meshi make the list?? That's sad really. My pick for the worst anime would be:

Metallic Rouge: The story was all over the place, couldn't enjoy it after the initial few episodes. The animation also turned bad towards the end.
The Fire Hunter: Everything except those still images that came up twice or thrice each episode and the clothes design was bad in this anime, especially the animation. But unlike Metallic Rouge the story had some potential. If only a better studio animated this.
Brave Bang Bravern!: Contrary to popular opinion, I hated this anime. The silliness made me laugh sometimes, I will admit, but overall I couldn't stomach it. It's a worse version of Samurai Flamenco, which at least started out strong. Also the constant Engrish and the art-style just aren't for me.

Also disappointed seeing so many people mention Solo Leveling. It might be generic, but the animation, at the very least, was really good. Do you guys seriously think it's worse than the ones above? Smh.

Your points about Solo leveling actually match what most have said about it: "Generic, but looks good". In fact, the only people I have seen complain about the visuals are source material readers on reddit.
Also, the rest of the shows you listed (minus Fire hunter) aren't bad looking. I would list Metallic Rouge as one of the worst shows i'm still watching but it has been consistently good looking. If anything, i find it's when a gorgeous show has bad writing, pacing, etc. that I am even harsher or more disappointed. I will argue again that ShangriLa Frontier has some of the best looking fights in years (one I feel is even better than anything from Frieren) but the show overall? Meh.
uhuurt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am Reply with quote
Philville wrote:
You are pointing out that the reviewer’s criticism of a series because of negative personal experiences isn’t much of a critical argument, since it is a biased reaction. Then again, if this is an opinion piece (and even if it were a review), we can’t really fault the authors for this. What is problematic, as the comments show, is labelling these things “best” or “worse”, especially since this might stop people from actually checking out a series that might be worth their time because of their reliance on reviews (which was my initial point, in my first post). I'm always wary of reviewers who try to pass off their subjective impressions as fact, but at least most of these authors actually provided disclaimers (for which they are now getting flak). So, once again, the problem resides in the article title: if the words "best" and "worst" hadn't been used, we wouldn't even be having this discussion -- and perhaps the article would then have gotten less attention (which is the cynical way of seeing this).

I agree with the general sentiment here, but I see things slightly differently. What you call an "opinion piece" is mostly worthless in the eyes of many people, myself included, because it's as good as any random chat in your local bar. So there really is no reason for it to have any place on a site like this, and it should stay far away from any professional, serious terms like "review", "best", "worst", etc. The people who deserve to be payed to write about anime, or any art, are those competent enough and willing to weave their passion and skills to evaluate and judge media through objective parameters, on top of the subjective ones that everybody else is as good for.

When I read that absurd tangent given as "reasoning" from the last writer, I'm left wondering why that pedestrian I'm looking at through the window right now is not making a living with his "opinions" too. When your personal feeling is all you consider when doing this job, you're not earning any respect by the people who read you, and therefore you're doing it wrong. That disconnect is why people are upset in this thread.

Of course, if they were to do as you suggest and just outright state that none of this is any more valuable than whatever rando types online, their credibility would be majorly affected. That's why they first use all the serious words in the title, and then put disclaimers contradicting them in order to justify the article being little more than a blog post. This is the sad truth, and yes, we can and should fault them for this.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am Reply with quote
YourNameIsMitsuha sayeth

Quote:
My opinion is Gushing over Magical Girls is the worst anime of the season because the creators chose to sell it on sexualized middle/grade schoolers when they did not have to. That to me is creepy and unrecommendable. I thought some reviewers generally agreed given reactions in the preview, so I feel genuinely surprised that none mentioned it whatsoever, even as an aside. Guess they didn't watch it, and that's probably for the best.

Well, you see you just exist on a higher moral plane than the rest of us. Certainly higher than me or the site reviewer who reviewed the show every week and basically liked it or the community who voted the final episode a 4.9 out of 5. Being lesser beings, we only saw a cartoon whereas you, with your heightened sensibilities, were able to perceive Gushing to be the imminent and profound moral threat to the nation that it really is. Kudos, sir. Kudos to you.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am Reply with quote
Quoth Philville

Quote:
And yes, K-On! deserves all the love it can get. Did you like Bocchi?

Indeed, Bocchi a great show. K-On! hits me harder because of its different goals, but both shows are 100% successful at what they are doing and I really like Bocchi as well. Also, and I am the last person to world to pretend to know anything about music, but I personally like the music in K-On! a lot more than in Bochhi. (Saying I don't things quite as much as K-On! is no insult, since I basically don't like much of anything quite as much as I like K-On!)

I liked Bocchi even better the second time around because I had seen Nausicaa at Ghibli Fest between the two watches and so got the extended Nausicaa joke in the "designing the band t-shirt" episode. It still makes me laugh to think about it.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am Reply with quote
Nipasu wrote:
And Frieren's past party friends are okay, but I wish the flashbacks didn't go back and forth with the continuity (like before they defeated the Demon King and after they defeated the demon king).

Freiren isn't a bad show, but it just wasn't for me. I don't know why, but I was never fully engaged in the show despite watching the dub since it premiered.

If you're not appreciating the purpose and parallelism in the flashbacks then that's why this series is not working for you. That's absolutely central to the show's appeal for many, and I feel it's the series' greatest strength. The series is also more thematically-oriented than nearly every other fantasy anime I've ever seen (in the sense that it tends to prioritize its themes over its storytelling), and I could see how that wouldn't work for everyone.

Jabootu wrote:
Friday was Frieren Day, Saturday was Dangers in my Heart Days, Wednesday was Gushing Over Magical Girls day, but Thursday was just the day that Delicious in Dungeon happened to be playing if I remembered to check on Netflix.

Have to correct you on one thing here: Saturdays are The Apothecary Diaries days.

NeverConvex wrote:
I think usually reviewers would say "this is the worst that I watched this season" and sometimes they would say "there wasn't anything bad among shows I watched this season, so since I don't want to label any of them as 'worst' unfairly, I'll tell you what disappointed me most instead". This is first time I've seen basically every review say "this isn't actually bad, but", and in one case even go for "this reminded me of my shitty hometown".

Huh, maybe I'm not misremembering, then, and it's just something the reviewers have enjoyed playing with and have run a little amok with this year?

I agree with Bearcave on this. Entirely possible that it's a coincidence that all the reviewers took the same approach this time, or you could look at it as a product of how packed with good content the last couple of seasons have been.

Gem-Bug wrote:
Honestly, the worst thing I think I've seen this season is officially this thread. Rolling Eyes

While I don't agree with this comment (people have mostly remained civil, at least!), it's definitely the post that gave me the biggest chuckle this morning. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12