• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia You're Next Film's 2nd Teaser Video Introduces 'Dark Might' Villain

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:10 am Reply with quote
The classic evil version of the hero, just like Turles.
TheDecencyAgenda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:33 am Reply with quote
It is so depressing that the producers of the series have been sacrificing the quality of the MHA TV anime for movies with premises like this. What interesting stories can you even tell with this? "Oh man, it sure would be bad if All Might was a generic evil bad man." Wow, such an interesting stories that expands the character or the world of MHA. I don't even think it is a good premise of you are trying to sell tickets.

You might as well keep your money and go read one of the thousands of MHA fanfiction stories that exist if you are itching for AU entertainment like this. At least, they'll be more creative than whatever this is.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:11 am Reply with quote
And it's been said already that the movie don't take the budget away from the tv show in any significant way.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:41 am Reply with quote
Not a dub fan but I'd like to see Chris Sabat's version!
TheDecencyAgenda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Im not talking about budget. I know that money doesn't equal good presentation (animation, art, sound, etc.). Money can't make up for lack of time and skill. But the movies do take with them animators that could work on the tv series instead of these purposeless movies.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:19 pm Reply with quote
So Deku's emo cape is just a permanent part of his costume now? Ugh, not a fan...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Chris Handsome wrote:
The classic evil version of the hero, just like Turles.

I was thinking more Cyborg Superman, a lookalike who comes in after the hero dies specifically to ruin his reputation.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
So Deku's emo cape is just a permanent part of his costume now? Ugh, not a fan...

Its Gran Torino's cape, he is wearing out of respect.

Of course, the real season it's because Deku's hero costume its highly influenced by Mr. Bunny's (Oumagadoki Zoo manga) design.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:07 pm Reply with quote
TheDecencyAgenda wrote:
Im not talking about budget. I know that money doesn't equal good presentation (animation, art, sound, etc.). Money can't make up for lack of time and skill. But the movies do take with them animators that could work on the tv series instead of these purposeless movies.

Not every animator that works on the movies would necessarily be contributing to the TV series if the movies hypotethically didn't exist. A good chunck of them would just work on other series entirely, wether for a Bones' series or not. For example, Kouki Fujimoto was one of the main regulars around s2-4, but he was pretty much gone afterwards, because he just contributed to the likes of JJK, CSM, Frieren etc. instead.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:29 pm Reply with quote
>Not "THE ALT-MIGHT"

But in all seriousness, if there is one series I trust with the "Superman... but EVIL?!" it'd be MHA. Horikoshi got the core concepts of Clark perfect when he did All Might, which is something that most Superman writers struggle with, so with enough involvement this could be good.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Dr. Wily wrote:

Its Gran Torino's cape, he is wearing out of respect.

Of course, the real season it's because Deku's hero costume its highly influenced by Mr. Bunny's (Oumagadoki Zoo manga) design.

Oh yeah, I kinda forgot it was Gran Torino's. Oh well, my point is more that it looks kinda bad. It worked when Deku was in his depressive "I'm gonna fight everyone and never stop" phase, but like... not so much if he's not doing that. I'm sure Gran Torino wouldn't mind if Deku ran that thing through the wash Smile
TheDecencyAgenda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:08 pm Reply with quote
HyperGatack wrote:
>Not "THE ALT-MIGHT"

But in all seriousness, if there is one series I trust with the "Superman... but EVIL?!" it'd be MHA. Horikoshi got the core concepts of Clark perfect when he did All Might, which is something that most Superman writers struggle with, so with enough involvement this could be good.

I wouldn't bet too much on it being anything too special. These movies tend to have some cool ideas but they rarely do anything too exceptional with them. It's not like the format of movies tend to permit exceptional storytelling with their supershort runtimes.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Of course his name is "Dark Might."

It's funny to think something like this happened between the two Hero vs Villain wars.

The female baddie stands out. I wonder what the blonde girl is about?
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I am tired of these non canon "It might be cannon" but isnt movies. Well if it excites some young uns to see characters punch each other in consequence free story lines I wont stand in the way. But after the first two movie I cannot be bothered myself. Its better then the jump fiesta specials.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
I am tired of these non canon "It might be cannon" but isnt movies. Well if it excites some young uns to see characters punch each other in consequence free story lines I wont stand in the way. But after the first two movie I cannot be bothered myself. Its better then the jump fiesta specials.

About that (low level spoilers for season 8)...

spoiler[The last manga chapters made the movies canon Laughing

Though, only the first movie it's really relevant.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1