• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaiju No. 8 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:36 am Reply with quote
2:

This show is a winner.

Is it the production values? Maybe. It's off the charts, and that OP clearly shows. Production I.G is definitely pulling no punches with this one.

Is it the characters? Maybe. I like shows that doesn't take itself very seriously. Unlike other manga titles, this show is taking the Western superhero route: a derpy hero, a secret identity that he has to protect, and a trusty sidekick.

So how do I tell that this show's a winner? spoiler[When Kafka pissed through his nipples. God that was spectacular.]
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:58 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, I have mixed feelings on the third episode. The tests were exciting to see and getting to know more of the cast and the tech they use is interesting. My complaint is concerning the mc. It is a common trope to have the mc be weaker than his competitors and struggle with limitations and weaknesses of some sort.

In the case of Kafka it feels like the show might be a bit too good at making him seem utterly pathetic. I am part of a group of friends who go to the gym a couple times a week together and despite everyone being 35 or so we could do a hell of a lot better than whatever Kafka showed. Yeah, I know, 35 might seem old to a teenager but if you excercise regularly you do not end up performing like a senior citizen. I usually like to encourage the underdog yet in this case I wonder what the hell the mc has been doing to make his dream come true, I know a 42 year old guy with asthma and diabetes who could do better.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:01 pm Reply with quote

Now this is interesting. It turns out Kafka and Reno are outliers in the candidate pool for this round. The arrogant brat who damaged the company car turns out to be a prodigal genius at killing monsters, what with the superhuman abilities granted from having superior compatibility with the powered suits. Not just her, many of the candidates are younger than our main pair, have the benefit of superior educational backgrounds in monster killing and are physically stronger than our main pair to boot. When Kafka said he'd hit a wall he couldn't surpass when doing the exams in his younger days, he meant it very literally as his childhood friend must have been one of the super talented ones despite having the same background as him.

What natural talent and the benefit of family background gifts the top candidates, Kafka and Reno have but one ace up their sleeve to compensate. The other candidates like Shinomiya are completely reliant on the raw power of their enhanced abilities to get the job done, Kafka and Reno (especially the former as he's been doing this for years) fall back on their intimate knowledge of Kaiju anatomy acquired from their day jobs. The powered suits have other tools besides guns for hunting monsters, and Kafka knows what to use once he's recognised the peculiar characteristics of the prey. A shame the surprise attack has broken his leg and damaged his internal organs, unless he recovers somehow he won't be able to pass the examination.

That leaves Kafka with only one option, and he has no choice but to use it if he doesn't want to give up his dream forever. Reno warned him already not to use his Kaiju powers, and to be fair to Kafka he's kept his word to date. Since he's already a monster, that might explain why the powered suit has no effect on him. For Reno, he could feel the powered suit enhancing his physical capabilities. Kafka on the other hand is already a monster and that's most likely the reason why he's had the ignominy of a 0% compatibility rating (his insides aren't human any longer so the suit can't really interface with him). With his window of opportunity about to be closed forever, how is Kafka going to fulfil the ED animation prediction of him and Reno somehow passing the candidate test?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind Kafka having a hard go of it...it's more the pacing that left me grousing a tad. More specifically, if I'd known I was going to spend thirty minutes watching the MC get crapped on by life, peers, and his own general lack of aptitude, with the issue still unresolved at the end of the episode, I would have waited until next week so I could watch episodes 3 and 4 back to back. I too enjoyed seeing how the organization works and getting to meet some of the new players. But I would have rather just spent most of the episode having the place and the test introduced, and then having Kafka sucking at the very end to provide a cliffhanger, or else had them skip one of the many of the same kind of scenes of Kafka stinking up the joint over and over and over and shown him turning things around a little sooner. But that might just be me personally. Not doubting the quality of the show and definitely buckled in for episode 4.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I suppose what bothered me most was that Kafka has said that standing together with Mina is his dream, one that he will never give up on and give everything for. Hearing that and then seeing him whiff the tests way harder than a fit hard training 32 year old should makes it feel almost like a fake promise. The suit I understand though, it is probably not syncing well since he is a monster physically.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Fortunately, I have my Ph.D. in Delayed Gratification so even though it's possible that my left eyelid twitched a bit at the constant and unrelenting suckage that Krapka displayed, I KNOW a big ole redemption scene is coming... no doubt in the last five minutes of the final episode. I can wait. But seriously... yeah, it's a bit tough not to get something other than, "oh gosh, I stood up and my Combat Whatever Rating soared up to a whopping 0.01%!" but patience, peeps, patience. Again, my infallible measure of how much I'm enjoying a show was in full effect: the episode just whipped by and I'm jonesing for the next.

(Actually a bit unfair to say he constantly and unrelentingly sucked... he did shine in that support role... up until he started sucking, again...)
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:33 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
I suppose what bothered me most was that Kafka has said that standing together with Mina is his dream, one that he will never give up on and give everything for. Hearing that and then seeing him whiff the tests way harder than a fit hard training 32 year old should makes it feel almost like a fake promise. The suit I understand though, it is probably not syncing well since he is a monster physically.

1. He'd given up on his dream for some time after he crossed what he initially thought was the age limit for the candidate test. It was Reno who convinced him to give it one last try after being informed of the raised age limit.

2. He's much older than everyone else in the test. He's not a lazy couch potato as evidenced by episode one, but he's definitely not fit, hard and training regularly given the state of his flat. His abnormally low rating is also a consequence of the vast majority of candidates being at their physical peak and more in the expected age range (there's a reason why the average age of Olympics medallists is in its early 20s for the vast majority of sports contested in the summer edition)
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:46 pm Reply with quote
3:

Now this show is giving me My Hero Academia vibes. The narrative of Kafka having no talent and having to make it up with pure grit is exactly what Midoriya would say.

I took this personally.
Eilavel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind a character starting out weak, but this is a little much. It makes me think "wouldn't they just eject him for 0% sync".

It also just doesn't make for a great to watch sequence; the episode sticks to him hard, and while "run around and offer advice" is a logical response its not the most scintillating action sequence, and the test nature and predictable final outcome kind of saps the tension.

The new characters and worldbuilding are all good though. Still enjoyed the episode and feels like its going somewhere, but just a little too much time communicating that he sucks. Rest assured, you can convince me of that with a lot less time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2