• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spice & Wolf: merchant meets the wise wolf (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:49 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Errinundra wrote:
The best remake I've seen is Space Battleship Yamato 2199. I think it was better than the original.

I was just going to mention that myself. 2199 kept the main plot of the story, but tweaked or changed a lot of the details.

I watched it on your recommendation (and proceeded to parrot you here).

Time stamp.

Beltane70 wrote:
murph76 wrote:
I'll be interested in what you think of the second season, errinunda. I find it to be the rare sequel as good or better than the original.

I was thinking the same thing, murph! I've always loved the second series more than the first.

On another note, I found the remake, Space Battleship Yamato 2199 to be better than the original. I also consider it the best remake of any series or movies!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:02 am Reply with quote

I watched the original adaptation (both quarters) when they first aired and can no longer rewatch them so my memory of what happened plot-wise is hazy. What I do remember was the 1st season's OP song and the catchy ED song, as well as some of the main arcs (the first meeting, their later journeys etc.). I did not expect this franchise to earn a remake, but then again Holo by some metrics is one of the most popular fictional animated females of all time so it was never an impossibility. Also, the franchise mix of two engaging but flawed leads and lessons in medieval economics remains unique even now.

The visuals for this remake's OP are better, but the song has less of an impact. Not to say it's bad, but almost nothing beats the first season's OP for me. The ED is in the same vibe as the first season's, with apples as always making an appearance.

As for the first episode, what I found different was the feast in the village chief's house and the prologue (which will illicit a chuckle at least to everyone who has watched both seasons or read the franchise to its conclusion). Everything else more or less there, and I don't remember the anime-only original female character from the first adaptation who split opinion. Lawrence is not a greenhorn itinerant merchant, but he's also not made enough money to open up his own shop (after all he told Holo his occupation is a tough one). She in turn has lost her previous role in ensuring consistently bountiful harvests for the village now that modern technology and knowledge have usurped her place. So she can put her moniker to good use and help Lawrence make more money on their long journey northwards to her birthplace. How this develops from there is something for first-time viewers to look forward to, as like this franchise (like Frieren before it) starts off slowly and only gets interesting from the second/third major story arc.

One of the more memorable arcs will definitely be animated this quarter because the key person in it is featured in both the OP and ED, and that one I do look forward to as it was the most memorable arc for me in the first quarter.
zfunk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:24 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
but then again Holo by some metrics is one of the most popular fictional animated females of all time so it was never an impossibility.

Isn't the Crunchyroll mascot character design based on her? So popularity no kidding.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't love the visual design in this one. Maybe its just the nostalgia talking, but I remember the colors and lighting in the prior series making everything feel more vibrant, more lively.

That issue aside, the show appears to get the core of the series- Holo and Lawrence's burgeoning rapport. There's still plenty of time to fall apart, of course, but it seems like we're on the right track there.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:42 pm Reply with quote
1:

2008. That was when the last adaptation of Spice and Wolf came out. God, that feels like a lifetime ago. And they got the original voice actors back for Holo and Kraft too. Man, talk about nostalgia!

I remember watching the 2008 series too, but of course, I can't remember what actually happened back then. If this 2024 series is an alternate retelling (which I read it is), then it doesn't really matter. I can just treat this as a brand-new show, but like everyone else who has watched the first adaptation, I am going to make some comparisons.

Art style is definitely different. I remember the 2008 series being more conventional but here, it's more pensive and surreal, with softer artwork (not a question of which is better; it's just preference). Characterization is mostly the same as I can remember: Holo is shrewd and wise (duh) but also volatile, Kraft is more level-headed. Looks to be the same here too.

Most importantly, I remember how the original show was uniquely about economics. Agricultural economics, to be precise. Pretty sure it will be the same here too, but I don't remember the original show having an anthropological beginning. This one starts with the presence of pagans and the decline in belief in deities, which is fascinating. Then again, 16 years is a very long time so maybe I just don't remember this part.

This is going to be a nostalgic trip. I don't know the reason behind the revival of an old show, which was pretty good, but I'll take it anyway. Makes for an enjoyable viewing, anyway. And unlike the original show which had 2 seasons, this one is going to be 2-cours long. That's a refreshing take. I'm curious to know how this will turn out.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:17 am Reply with quote
Finally watched the first episode of this one and really liked it. The setting is interesting and going on a roadtrip with a god(?) seems like it will be a lively adventure. Given the episode I assume that the church is not going to be an ally, though really, when was the last anime where that actually was the case? As for the village, I hope that their great harvests continue, they no longer have someone else to fall back on.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:57 am Reply with quote
It is an alright first episode, but yet to be proven to be necessary for a remake and not a continuation of the original story. My take away so far is that the hopeful new merchant of the village is a man instead of a woman, and I always thought her character added something that her being a man might change. A tad bit more on it being a pagan village that practically have their beliefs as show, which thinking now there might have been a shot of a church in the episode, pointing it was gaining a presence there. And, it is being portrayed as a story to their daughter.

My also take away is that regardless of how good the OP and ED are, they are pretty iconic, that it is pretty unfair to even be compared. I would listen to them on a fairly regular basis back then.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:55 am Reply with quote
@smurky turkey

Holo was fairly clear that she is not a god, just a wise wolf. She apparently had some power over nature, not enough to protect the fields from depletion due to over use though. Other than that and her three forms she hasn't shown godly powers.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:09 am Reply with quote
I suppose so, though given her abilities and her large wolf form that we did not see in full plus her age/not aging? she is not what I would consider just a wise wolf. I also do not know enough about what a god is supposed to be in their world to agree or disagree with her statement, maybe abilities like Holo has are not that rare.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:57 am Reply with quote
The impression I have- and I have only memories of the original series to draw from- is that she's some sort of nature spirit, or paragon wolf. Something at the highest tier of the "natural world". More than mortal, less than divine- and certainly not going to claim divinity with the Church being so active.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:07 am Reply with quote

Viewers didn't see anything of it last week, so it's this week that marks the other significant aspect of this series being exposited: medieval trade and economics. This time round it's contracts based on barter exchange and the significance of precious metal purity in medieval currency (since the Gold Standard has long since been abandoned and everyone today gets round mostly with fiat currency). The barter exchange centred around different guild branches works partly because currency is so unreliable, but it also suits travelling merchants like Lawrence since carrying his goods round with minimal cash makes him less of a target for robbers. As for the currency, Gresham's Law applied centuries ago in Europe so viewers will want to see how Lawrence can turn the tables on the merchant trying to swindle him.

The other part of the series is the banter between the two leads. Same VAs as the first run, so the performance should be familiar to viewers of both productions. Parts of this episode are coming back to me, but I don't remember enough to pick out significant differences. I do like how the animators this time round haven't forgotten to animate tails properly to illustrate extreme emotional reactions.

That said, the series starts out with this kind of pacing and more or less remains like this moving forward. Casual viewers who don't like lots of conversation and no action will likely drop this by next week if not already.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:54 am Reply with quote
Ah, the magic of Holo and Lawrence is back. 25 minutes of unadulterated pleasure.

And, boy, did Holo tease Lawrence at the monastery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:00 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
Ah, the magic of Holo and Lawrence is back. 25 minutes of unadulterated pleasure.

And, boy, did Holo tease Lawrence at the monastery!

Unless it derails, this anime looks to be one of my favorite of the season. Which ought to be crazy, because if you'd asked me what I remembered from the original, I would have said the argument, Mr. Sketchy's currency scheme, Holo's tension with the church, and oddly enough, the potatoes with goat cheese and some casual nudity. I couldn't even tell you where the two episodes differed plot wise. But this strange combination of familiar and new is working for me.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I would consider that a good thing, it is really easy to get stuck in the mindset of constantly comparing a remake to the original thus spoiling the entire watching experience. The same goes for comparing an anime to the manga or novel it is based on yet remake versus original is often a more heated debate.

As for the episode: I will be surprised if mr smiley is legit, if he is then he should work on his appearance/presentation because he is not doing himself any favors seeming that shady.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:40 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
As for the episode: I will be surprised if mr smiley is legit, if he is then he should work on his appearance/presentation because he is not doing himself any favors seeming that shady.

I was trying to recall if I could remember what the deal, and I think that I do. I do think we are meant to think he is shady, but not able to figure where the shade is and how he would benefit.

If my memory is correct, spoiler[I think that he is meant to look like a lone inexperienced kid that might just not have resources, the missing tooth. But might actually be more connected than he looks.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3