• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Banished Former Hero Lives as He Pleases (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:20 am Reply with quote

(The) Banished Former Hero Lives as He Pleases (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 6 volumes, written by Shin Kozuki, illustrated by Chocoan)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Studio Deen, Marvy Jack

Genres: action, adventure, fantasy

Themes: aristocracy, medieval, reincarnation

Plot Summary: Deemed a "good-for-nothing" for his low level and lack of a god-given Gift, Allen is stripped of his noble status and banished from the Duchy of Westfeldt. But Allen has a secret: he was a great hero in a previous life, and he's thrilled for the chance to finally live the way he pleases.

His drama-free existence, however, is soon interrupted by a desperate encounter with his ex-fiancée. As a former hero who still possesses the incredible powers from his past life, Allen can't ignore someone in need no matter how much he might like to.

Air Date & Platform:
April 1, 2024 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
----------------------------------

Key art seems a little generic, and it looks like this my turn a little harem-y. But I do like some of the voice cast, so I might give a shot.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:34 am Reply with quote
Can't have an anime season without at least one banished hero.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I went into this expecting this show to be "The Bargain Basement Isekai Strikes Back." After all, we had lot of surprisingly good isekai last season, but I knew the factory floor rip-offs that have tarnished the brand had to be lurking around somewhere.

And in some ways I got what I expected, and in some ways I didn't. For one thing, this isn't exactly a standard Isekai in that the person reincarnating into a fantasy world isn't from our world...they're from another fantasy world. This happened at least once before in an isekai I wound up dropping after half a season...Reborn to Master the Blade I think? There might have been other words preceding that. As I recall, Blood wanted to call the genre (mmph) Fantacar (heh) sorry, Fantacarnation. Because apparently there was fruit flavored soft drink involved that I missed. Wink

Anyway, I didn't dislike the anime, but personally, I didn't find it very compelling either. The animation and art styles are utterly familiar and mediocre. The characters are very good or very bad, and I haven't seen much in between though it looks like the Lil Amazon might change sides. It doesn't look like a lot of thought is going into the plotting. For example, in episode 1, Alan heals Lise's bodyguard while Lise is watching helpless, mortified at the prospect of her friend's death. In episode 2 (yes, I watched episode 2, and I even put off watching re:monster and that 7th Prince show until tomorrow as a result) we learn that Lise is a powerful healer.

I call myself an isekai whore because I'm willing to be cheaply manipulated and root for Alan to turn the tables on his despicable family if the show will distinguish itself in any way, but I will traditionally drop isekai that I find predictable, bland, or mediocre before the half season mark. Just in the last few seasons I dropped that otherworldly Aristocrat, the guy who might actually be the strongest, the pastry chef whose cooking ambitions just turned out to be an undeveloped gimmick, the OP skeleton knight dude, etc. So we'll see.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:54 pm Reply with quote
This feels like it comes from earlier in the heritage of the infinitely-iterated isekai stuff, before the genre started becoming focused on its own subversion. The characters are from a 90s Dragon Quest game. As is the visual quality.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah, last season has kind of spoiled us with several isekai with good story/characters and animation. Banished former hero bring us back to the level of the average isekai, that being a bland story with one note characters and animation that is anything but impressive. The show is not horrible, I struggle to mention anything that could be considered a hook to keep you watching though.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I almost feel like the show could benefit from being worse. As is, its just so bland and unmemorable.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:55 am Reply with quote
I read comments on Crunchyroll, and found out at the 9 minute mark they actually forgot to add legs of one of the girls, so she floating in the air. Truth was that I was actually distracted by the awful looking background art of the market scene.

After the first two episodes I was just so bored that I need to not watch any more. My other thoughts were most of the characters look awful, even if I really liked the look of the tomboy hero character.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:37 am Reply with quote
And yet you can see that they tried to make something of it and did not phone it in, which honestly makes the whole thing kind of sad.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:55 pm Reply with quote
The low budget, rushed feel in the production might be a side effect of the increased number of anime that have been coming our way the last few seasons.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:58 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I read comments on Crunchyroll

Where on CR did you find comments? I was looking for the forum today to no avail and found on reddit that they did away with it last Nov I think?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:08 am Reply with quote
It wasn't part of forums, just the bottom of the page of any particular episode, on the browser version.

I have used the Xbox or PlayStation apps, but I often appreciate reading of other randoms watching. Using spoiler tags is also encouraged, so you are not usually going to be spoiled if you look beforehand.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, with the 3 episode rule this is a drop for me. I don't often drop an isekai but this one is just very boring and it would be nice to not have 30 plus episodes to watch every week. To be fair though, the third episode is probably the best one so far, it is just not enough.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:18 am Reply with quote
I don't get why they keep calling the assassin an "Amazoness." Are there male Amazons in this world? oO And why does the fenrir sound like an elephant when it roars? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1