• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Grandpa and Grandma Turn Young Again (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:08 pm Reply with quote

Grandpa and Grandma Turn Young Again (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 7 volumes, Kagiri Araido)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Gekkō

Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life, supernatural

Themes:

Plot Summary: Elderly husband and wife Shōzō and Ine Saitō live a quiet life in Aomori harvesting apples. One day, they wake up and find their physical age restored to their 20s.

Air Date & Platform:
April 7, 2024 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
----------------------------------

I keep seeing Ginko from Mushishi every time I look at short-white-haired guy with light skin. Did the same thing with the dude from (A) Sign of Affection. This one sounds like it could be a nice reflective slice-of-life series. I'm a big fan of the two main voice actors, though, so I'll definitely give it a shot.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:43 am Reply with quote
The first episode was nothing amazing yet I might be in for what seems to be a collection of shorts showing the former elderly couple enjoying life. Said enjoyment included surprising their family, doing sports and even seeing their grandchild possibly finding a romance of her own. There are some issues though, the big one being that everyone trying to jump on grandpa's dick got a bit old (and creepy). Other issues are the okayish animation and there is the question if it is going to become repetitive jokes wise.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:38 pm Reply with quote

The two VAs voicing the main couple in this comedy series are heavyweights, and there are voice dramas in Youtube showcasing their range. If you like their work, then watching this to see them hit it off is a no-brainer. For everyone else, it depends on whether you can accept the brand of humour being thrown at you all episode. I haven't laughed so hard at a pilot episode for a long time, so I'm staying with this although I have to agree with reviewers on this website on whether the premise is sustainable.

Our main couple have been married for 60-70 years and have basically been apple farmers while raising their families. They live alone as their son has his own family and lives elsewhere, albeit close enough for the daughter-in-law to do groceries for them and for their only granddaughter to come around and play every so often. So an old couple which modern-day Japan has millions of, until they eat the golden apple from their wedding tree which is the catalyst for this series.

More topical than most offering this season, given Japan (and much of the globe's) ageing population concerns. Many would kill to experience what the Saitous are enjoying, and a lot of reactions are genuinely funny if viewers don't think too hard about the ramifications of some of the situations. The OP and ED songs and animations are similarly tongue in cheek, so it's an easy show to recommend for viewers who just want to empty their minds and take off stress by laughing for most of the show's duration.

Two issues: The running joke is great for the first episode but it'll get old (sic) fast unless the writing comes up with something fresh instead of a recycled variant of this first episode for the rest of the season. The second is there's no overarching storyline to this: Saizou and Mine are mildly bewildered about the attention they're receiving but are taking it in their stride the same way their geriatric fellow residents have simply accepted what has happened to them (only their biological son has had a reaction which actually seems realistically normal). Saizou was saying how they had a hard life as farmers for those decades, but do they have the savings to go on a honeymoon after their youth has been returned to them? Mine was supposed to be doing poorly prior to their golden apple moment, but she certainly didn't have a problem during the sports festival. We might not know exactly how they were given their youth back, but it would make things more interesting if the age-regression isn't without its price. But would that be broached in what is largely a feel-good comedy series?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:34 am Reply with quote
Well, as we see with many anime based on manga that have short chapters they usually do not have long arcs. That said, quite a few shows use their initially basic premise to go for something more. The Torture Princess anime of last season is a great example of this in how the goofy torture sessions became less frequent and they used that free time to have the cast bond and create heartwarming moments with actual character development.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:13 am Reply with quote
Along the lines already mentioned, this show wasn't bad, but it wasn't what I was hoping for, personally. Maybe that's my and my expectations' fault. I guess I was hoping for something a little more introspective, or failing that, chock full of the feels.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:13 am Reply with quote
Well, the show is not chock full of feels but they did have two segments this week that were on the emotional side. In fact, I would say that the shorts/segements were pretty varied this week, more so than in the first episode. We had several romantic moments of the grandparents doing things they previously could/would not do and besides those there were more family interactions and even a bit of emotion and the supernatural. The latter is the biggest surprise since I did not expect the show to clarify how they got young in more detail.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:13 pm Reply with quote

The adaptation is focused on the comedy element of two elderly farmers becoming young again, so it's not a surprise to see slightly different variations of last week's theme this episode. Thankfully the jokes this week are classier, with some of them overturning expected stereotypes of the elderly. The main pairing are definitely romantics, just in a completely different manner from today's youths. They also have a sense of humour when it comes to being teased by their granddaughter and usually respond in kind. That said, viewers might want to get used to the characters being drawn with the semicircle eyes with no pupils as that's the template for them displaying mild embarrassment.

Unlike last week which was literally gags on the age reversion all episode, this week actually introduces the main story underpinning this adaptation: the importance of family to the main pair and Ine's health in particular. They had at least two sons looking at the flashback and have two granddaughters, with the second son's family taking their bow. Although Ine appears to be out of trouble for now thanks to the golden apple, the trailer indicates the reversion might not be permanent which is a shadow that hangs over the family as Ine has never been in the best of health even when she was younger.

Unsurprisingly the golden apple was what turned them younger. It's also a surprising touch to a gag series. The tree did what it could to thank the main pair for not giving up on it, and used up what was left of its vitality in the process. Perhaps the tests done at the clinic will give a better idea to the family just how permanent the transformation is.

If the second episode is an indication of how this series is going to progress, then it's easier to recommend as something more than just a one trick pony. The comedy is still the main focus, but elaborating more on the family history and on their experiences as individuals makes it far more interesting than it could otherwise be. Not sure if it can maintain this for an entire quarter, but it might surprise me by overturning low expectations.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:59 pm Reply with quote

Although the episode appears to be another one in the vein of the pilot episode with its focus on visual gags, it gets more serious as the episode progresses. Viewers find out a little more about how the age reversion works, and a bit of background into Ine's past and the circumstances which led her to meeting Saitou for the first time.

The first short arc is one to overturn stereotypes. Given the correct mindset, it turns out our newly young couple do extremely well at resident evil clones provided the theme is right and they have the eyes and hands to control their characters as they intend to. Their granddaughter is unsurprisingly shocked at how quickly they cleared it.

The next arc is longer and deals with more serious matters. Family is central to the main pairing, so the thought they would outlive their offspring or even their grandchildren is terrifying to them, especially Ine. Saizou's investigation into the dream indicates this isn't the case as the dream hourglass spills out sand and they cannot keep reverting it forever to stay young and healthy. While the going is good, Saizou knows he has to make up for the years he couldn't treat his wife to experiences because of work and her poor health. The honeymoon their son has planned for them is a start (Saizou won the room upgrade fair and square without requiring his son to go easy on him, Ine knows her husband too well on that front).

Saizou never attended secondary education, so the trailer for next week will be something for him to experience. I'm sure they've attended their granddaughter's school events in the past, but actively participating in them because they look the part is surely new and should provide most of the comedy for the next episode.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:42 am Reply with quote
The main thing keeping the show fresh is how it switches between gags and more serious topics. Sure, it is fun seeing the grandparents play games (it was a very amusing gag) and do sporting events, yet the gags will grow old at some point. The other characters provide some added variation but even that has a limit.

Both their pasts growing up in troubled times and their new young forms make for some great emotional moments. The latter indeed seems to be the opportunity to be young and make the most of their remaining lifespan rather than having gained immortality or a renewed lifespan. If it had been immortality then it would have been very painful seeing your family die before you do.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:00 pm Reply with quote

Nowadays it's easy to take mandatory education for children for granted, so the franchise does its best to remind viewers this wasn't always the case. For Saizou living in the remote areas of Aomori with a traditional father whose word was immutable law, finances dictated he would never be allowed to attend school beyond the foundational stage (Meiji Japan's emulation of the Prussian model meant primary schooling was free and mandatory, so Saizou could go but his father would not or could not afford the next, optional stage of his schooling). Ine did have schooling experience, but her ill health during much of her adult years meant she likely never went to her grandchildren's schools even if invited. Running an apple orchard does require skills which could be learned beforehand at secondary school and up, so Saizou would not have been too disadvantaged if he tried the modern high school materials, but the look on his face suggested a lot was lost on him. At least his granddaughter acquired enough motivation to get through her mid-terms.

The episode's highlight is watching the main pair enjoy themselves at the festival. Ine was obviously up for it while Saizou was just pleased he could let Ine enjoy herself there. Dressing them up was inevitable for the comic moments, but I didn't expect Ine's acting to become the focus for the next story arc. That's more serious given what happened at the episode end, but Saizou putting on the butler's costume and somehow getting the impression right helped his granddaughter out.

That segment by the school history photos is just another reminder through this entire series that Saizou has never regretted the life he has lived despite its many disadvantages. Starting his family with Ine was his life's work, and now he has to recover her memory if he wants to enjoy travelling with her in the manner she should have enjoyed it she had been healthier during her younger years.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how it worked in Japan right before or after the second world war, but even today, education in Japan is only mandatory up until junior high school.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:38 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, given how fun and light most of the episode was I expected it to end on a similar happy note, what we actually got is a case of amnesia or maybe rather her younger version being put into (for her) the future. The problem is how to fix the situation, the hourglass is damaged after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1