• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tonari no Youkai-san (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:38 pm Reply with quote

Tonari no Youkai-san (TV)

Source: Manga (completed @ 4 volumes, by noho)

Demographic:

Animation Studio: Liden Films

Genres: comedy, slice of life, supernatural

Themes: anthropomorphs, demi-humans, folklore, gods, magical creatures, mythology, transformations, youkai

Plot Summary: In the rural town of Engamori, the mountain breeze often blows. Everyday life, there is mysterious, filled with monsters, humans, and gods coexisting side by side. They live each day with their own joys and worries in their hearts.

Buchio lived as a cat until he was 20 years old and was reborn as a nekomata. Mutsumi is a human being who lives a positive life even though she is concerned about her missing father. Jiro is a crow tengu who has been protecting this town for generations.

A slightly mysterious and gentle story of connections that occur in the daily life of a relaxing and heart-warming country town.

Air Date & Platform:
April 6, 2024 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

[EDIT: Added fancy opener stuff. -TK]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:08 pm Reply with quote

Viewers who love the Natsume Yuujinchou series and can't wait for season six to be released will get their fix in this season's supernatural offering. Unlike recent franchises with the supernatural as a theme (Dark Gathering comes to mind), this is very much an idyllic retreat where co-existence between Japan's native gods and the attendant spirits which are derived from these beliefs along with humans is very much an established norm after centuries. Although all is well on the surface, like the Natsume Yuujinchou the spirit world isn't always friendly to humans.

Fuchigamori village/town is old, as Jiroubou (shortened to Jiro by the residents) and Tazenbou have surnames which reflect the state of the valley before it was settled by humans. As the supernatural guardians of the settlement and outliving countless generations of humans, they are the eponymous next-door neighbours who help their human and fellow Youkai residents with all manner of concerns. Unlike other depictions of Youkai, these are at ease with modern technology (mobile phones, electric fans, motor transport) and will use it if the choice is available (Tazenbou can clearly drive so has the requisite license). That said, it is Jiro's job both to protect the settlement and give reports to Japan's myriad pantheon so his residence is effectively a functioning Shinto shrine with him (and Tazenbou) as the resident priests. Small wonder he takes the upcoming Obon festival seriously as he's most likely taking charge of the religious ceremonies.

Youkai in this franchise are broadly categorised into two main categories: those who came into being as Youkai while others follow the Shinto tradition and reincarnate into one. Tachibana Yuri is the former, while Ooishi Buchio (it's nice the newly born Youkai adopt the surnames of the family who kept them as pets while they were animals) is the latter. For the latter, the paperwork they have to submit illustrates how commonplace the phenomenon is (the bureaucracy and civil service requirements are no different from human birth certificates). Yuri probably had to do the same thing, but depending on how she came into being she either had "parents" (for lack of a better word) or fellow Youkai like Jiro to assist with the paperwork. Buchio being a nekomata means he probably needs to earn his keep in his adopted family, which is why Jiro asked him what he wanted to do. Nekomata are traditionally known for their transformation abilities, so Buchio could get a job which exploits them without being a detriment to human society the same way archetypal nekomata would do as part of the package.

Unlike youkai, the realm of departed spirits is not widely accessible to humans. Sugimoto Mutsumi and her grandmother are the only ones in the family who can see the grandfather's steed when he reaches the family home for the Obon festival. The others in her family are happy to give instructions for Mutsumi to follow, as well as prepare the traditional welcome for departed spirits in the annual festival. Although her grandfather tells her to cheer up, Mutsumi instinctively knows her father is gone and the guardians more or less confirm it as they are well aware of what that black mist is which Mutsumi sees at the end. Too little to go on for now, but like the Natsume universe there are some aspects of the supernatural which are not friendly to humans. The police and detectives speaking about it like it's a known phenomenon (in this franchise Kamikakushi literally means what it says, unlike the euphemism its modern day meaning entails) suggests they might have advice from their supernatural colleagues and can react to these cases appropriately. Too little information to go on now, but it's the closest thing to a main plot this franchise has for the quarter and currently its unique selling point.

I wasn't expecting to watch this, but I like what I've seen and the vibe really resembles the Natsume franchise with its mix of stress relief and below-the-surface menace. Animators are the same studio as Bartender, so not expecting flashy action scenes as neither adaptation has it in the feature list. Nice colours and a pleasant, if intriguing atmosphere make it a pleasant watch over weekends.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:54 am Reply with quote
The preview season/start of a new season is always a fun time mainly because of surprises like this show. The calm slice of life vibes in a world where the supernatural is common and as close as can be is fascinating. Just a small walk and you can see all kinds of Youkai passing by. Halfway into the episode I was ready to call it pure relaxation, people disappearing and a black mist are a tad less fun though so maybe it is more than just slice of life fluff. Also yes, it looks and sounds great.

The episode also made me think of Midnight Occult Civil Servants and how tricky it would be for civil servants to deal with the paperwork and problems that would come with the supernatural.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:23 am Reply with quote
I agree that finding hidden gems like this one is one of the biggest joys in every new season, and I'll join the chorus here. Hands down, this was my favorite new show...or at least first episode of a new show...so far. I compared the first episode of the Weakest Tamer to a studio Ghibli production last season, but this one is even more in that zone.

Cloying cutesy stuff usually causes me to break out, but that talking cat yokai is one of the most friggin' adorable anime characters I've seen in years.

The intermixing of the mundane and the supernatural is seamless here. I liked Train to the End of the World, but it's like a lumpy casserole compared to this show.

If giving a frame of reference, it's tone is like Kiki's Delivery Service meets Haibane Renmei. Or like The Flying Witch with more of an unexpected edge.

Great stuff IMHO.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:09 am Reply with quote
I can't figure out if this is an anime for children that adults can also enjoy or a grown-up anime built around a kid show frame work.

The cat yokai remains the cutest darn character (with a personality unlike any cat I've ever known, though Alan45 might have more experience in this regard) that I can think of in a while. Cuter than the bunny sidekick in Shangri-la Frontier even. Awesome voice acting too. Could be an old Nickelodeon character like Little Bear.

But the stuff with Mutsumi being slightly obsessed with a dark, supernatural phenomenon that claimed her father could be a Stephen king plotline.

I'll settle for saying this anime has a timeless quality. I'm shoving my chips across the table and betting the house on this one being a keeper.

(Ummm...metaphorically. Not even sure where I'd find an anime bookie for that sort of thing.)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Definitely an interesting tone to this one. It has the innocent stuff of school crushes cheek by jowl with harsher, sadder things. Pro-tip: avoid white snakes with red eyes. Foxy obviously has a complicated past. There's a lot going on in that place and it'll be interesting to watch things unfold.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:53 am Reply with quote
It does not feel like a show particularly aimed at either children or adults, it feels like it is pretty much ageless in that it is suited and interesting for all ages. This is in large part due to the lovely setting of the humans and Yokai functioning in one society. Among those on the Yokai side there are a few interesting inclusions such a Hanako and a Rokurokubi (also that small car driving up was a real surprise).

On the other hand it is clear that there is a danger to some of the supernatural (the snake was trying to break a seal it seems) and given Yuri's reaction not all of them are treated with an open mind either.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:11 pm Reply with quote
@Edjwald

I can't say I've known a cat with that specific personality, but then I don't think I've met a necomata. Wink Cat personalities are as varied and distinct as human ones. A cat that fretted itself into another state about its people is not out of the question. We once had a female cat that would stand with its front paws on the edge of the tub and cry pitiful tears as my wife took a shower. Apparently she thought my wife would drown.

I watched through part of the second episode today and I think that is it for me. I can handle any number of youkai but a grade school girl having a complete melt down because the guy that sits next to her tried to return her eraser takes my suspension of disbelief beyond its limits crush or no crush.

This is definitely a show primarily for children. Adults are welcome but not required.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:39 pm Reply with quote

More characters introduced, with others already making up their minds about what the show is about and who the target audience is. I haven't seen anything so far to suggest it's not too different from the Yuujinchou series, which has a wide spectrum of fans.

Because of the ensemble nature of this adaptation, it's difficult to keep track of the myriad cast if they don't play a significant role in the main story. That said, the designs of the non-human and demi human characters give them a visual marker which the humans lack. Some youkai like Yuri can transform, and have a history of doing so for defensive purposes the same way animals evolved camouflage and mimicry.

Society in this franchise is so assimilated every inhabitant lives together in the same society with human rules. The youkai and demi humans have longer lifespans, but their "childhood" is spent the same way as regular humans regardless of their ageing patterns. Using humans as the benchmark simplifies matters a lot, while having Youkai and demi human staff makes assimilation much easier as there are more roles which can be filled to cater to the bewildering variety of needs.

The main story focuses on the Other, as some supernatural elements do not coexist with human society and are openly hostile to it. The white snake is tracked by Jiro and the other settlement guardians for good reason; using unsuspecting humans to undo its seal isn't something the rest of the human and youkai inhabitants want as the status quo could be shattered. Likewise the shadows which are responsible for human disappearances act on instinct, yet their actions are a threat to bystanders making them another element which has to be guarded against.

There are more cast members featured in the OP yet to make their bow, and some of the minor characters like Yuri have backgrounds which might be interesting avenues to explore if the writing can tie into the world they occupy. It's still relaxing to watch, and keeping a good balance between everyday life and the sinister Other keeps it interesting for me. Closing all of the major and minor story threads in one quarter is also a challenge which I'm curious about whether the adaptation can competently execute.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm absolutely delighted by this series so far, it's easily my favorite thing this season. Thinking about it, though, I suspect peoples' enjoyment may be impacted by their familiarity with youkai folklore, for example...
Alan45 wrote:
I can handle any number of youkai but a grade school girl having a complete melt down because the guy that sits next to her tried to return her eraser takes my suspension of disbelief beyond its limits crush or no crush.

The girl is obviously a kappa, who traditionally keep dishes of water on their heads, and they become paralyzed or otherwise incapacitated if they spill that water. This is a joke based on the stereotype of "character is so embarrassed that steam comes out of their ears"; she falls unconscious because her water boils off.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:48 am Reply with quote
@Vanadise

I was aware that she was a kappa (though I couldn't think of the word at the time). The green arms with webbed fingers would have given that away even if you couldn't see the saucer in her head. The idea of various yokai in the classroom was obvious from the beginning. What I have problems with is her level of embarrassment. It is way too extreme and breaks the spell, so to speak. Nothing I have read about Kappa indicates they would be subject to that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:35 am Reply with quote
@Alan45 - I would never try to argue against anybody's specific reaction to anything, but I would point out that exaggerated and over the top reactions to situations that most Westerners would find no big deal is pretty much the cornerstone of anime humour.

And on a completely unrelated note, I am eagerly awaiting the introduction of that character shown in the upper right of the image in the OP... I think his head is supposed to be a car?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Huh, in regards to the sealed white snake situation I expected things to continue to slowly unravel over the course of another 3 or so episodes. Turns out that I was really wrong with that prediction and things went from 0 to 100 real fast and stayed that way for most of this week's episode. There was the run in with the Nue that could have ended up very badly and not even five minutes later we had Jiro disappearing (technically his physical manifestation I suppose). Things after that made the show feel like a battle anime for a bit and we ended up with some drama and resolution.

A real exciting episode though I have to admit that I did not expect the show to go into action and drama that hard.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:19 pm Reply with quote

The first major story arc is done, with Jiroubou having his moment in the spotlight. The mysterious white snake from last week turned out to have a past of her own, which was partly a driver for her actions which eventually led to her demise when Jiroubou had to take her on as part of his duties to the mountain and its residents. He needed help though, so Mutsumi's grandmother telling that story to her served as the catalyst to get all of Jiroubou's friends and associates to rally around him in his time of need.

A lot of the franchise takes its cue from Japan's traditional mythology; it's not often animated adaptations touch on the origins of mountain tengu and the archetypes played by white snake monsters. Even the Nue cameo at the beginning of the episode and Buchio's desperate transformation are also familiar to those who know the legend behind it, even if it's not explained in great detail in the episode itself. That said, the OP and ED have a Youkai with a toy car for a head, which is much more modern than the traditional tales underpinning this franchise. I've got a hunch as to what that particular Youkai is, but will have to wait until he/she/it is properly introduced to see if I'm proven right.

If Jiro and Mutsumi are one pair who get the spotlight this week with such a huge ensemble cast, then subsequent episodes will likely pass the baton with each main personage getting some degree of plot development for a short period with the pattern repeating itself until the end of the quarter. It looks like Buchio is next, what with his background before he was adopted (a wild kitten saved from an eagle) and the post-credits scene featuring the entrepreneur shown in the OP and ED animation.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:48 am Reply with quote
Buchio is a rather interesting case, this week's episode had a moment of him looking at a regular cat and being reminded that he used to be one. He seems to be happy with his evolution (though he has uncertainties) but he has also lost some things due to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2