• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
As a Reincarnated Aristocrat, I'll Use My Appraisal Skill (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:21 pm Reply with quote

As a Reincarnated Aristocrat, I'll Use My Appraisal Skill (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 6 volumes, written by Miraijin A, illustrated by Jimmy)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Studio Mother

Genres: adventure, drama, fantasy

Themes: aristocracy, isekai, medieval, politics, reincarnation

Plot Summary: One day when leaving work, Ars Louvent dies and is reborn as a weak aristocrat in another world. Using his “Appraisal” skill, which lets him see the stats of others, he recruits the best people to his side in order to turn his country's fortunes around.

Air Date & Platform:
April 7, 2024 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
----------------------------------

Key art looks a bit on the cheap side, but the political angle has me intrigued.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't sure I was going to like this one. For one thing, I'm pretty tired of the whole reincarnated as a baby in another world thing I think I dropped the last five that have come out in a row - (Sweet Reincarnation, Otherworldly Aristocrat, Am I actually the Strongest, Fluffy Paradise, and Reincarnated as the 7th Prince) but I may be forgetting some since they've kind of blurred together.

But I liked this show pretty well. Instead of having an OP MC with a cheat, we have an MC who's starting at the most basic level of a video game. All he has is the ability where screens describing things pop up whenever he focuses on them. It's not even clear if there is such a thing as experience points or levelling up or any of that. There's not an adventurer's guild in sight, and this looks like one of those anime where people are born with natural gifts whose ranks don't really change. It's not clear what part training or hard work plays in development, but there's a limit to how far people can go - 100 - and a guy born with a B rank archery gift was hitting bullseyes the first time he picked up a bow.

So instead of immediately killing monsters and racking up experience points and becoming insta-awesome, the MC has to use his one identification skill to recruit the best people for the right jobs in his small kingdom. He has to earn their loyalty himself, and he'll presumably have to be a wise, benevolent ruler because the people under him will be capable of taking him out easier than a delivery pizza.

He's also in a situation fraught with peril (that might be the first time I actually wrote that phrase) because he's going to become the ruler of a small kingdom that's a small part of a very big empire that's about to break into multiple civil wars. This adds some dramatic stakes to the need to build up his territory. Oh...it's a territory building game. Durrrr. I just realized.

Anyway, it's different enough that I'll give it a shot.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:36 am Reply with quote
You say that he is not OP, yet I would contest that statement. Yes, in the traditional view of having overwhelming raw power the mc is weak and seems to have no special abilities/talents. On the other hand, getting so much information through appraisel is highly OP if you know how to make use of it, especially so if you are in a function of management. That does indeed not mean that the cheat will just solve everything for him though.

I always like a territory building show and this seems like a decent one.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:13 am Reply with quote
Fair enough. I'll settle for "the information is power" thing being a different enough kind of OP to give this one a chance.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:48 am Reply with quote
Seems like the genius mage will be a bit harder to add to the crew. Saving her from a slave trader and maybe building an orphanage could be a good answer. It also appears that trying to con Ars while Reitz is present might be bad for your health. I did think for a moment that Ars was going to look at the eggs and find a special one, guess that is due to me reading too many light novels.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 was a fairly pleasant way to spend half an hour. Even though it's pretty simple and straightforward, the potential mage brought in some perspective to the proceedings, and it looks like she's not vying to be adoring harem bimbo #1 any time soon either. Enjoying it.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:22 am Reply with quote
A S tier mage has been added to the party, judging by her fireball spell she will be quite the asset. Otherwise it was fun seeing some hoodlums getting smacked around and Ars his speech was naive yet impactful.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I like this show. It passed the three episode test while some other shows that are arguably better did not. It's weird, but sometimes I only find out what shows I really like when I have a busy weekend and can't watch a lot of TV. Oh, that's odd. I'm watching this show instead of that show even though I think that "that" show is probably better animated or has a more original premise. Weird.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:32 am Reply with quote
The 4th episode was another good one and with it a tactician has been added to the gang (plus two soldiers for the army). Said tactician is frighteningly intelligent and as clumsy as can be. The episode surprised me in how emotional it was and how we had a family that was trying to support each other as best as they could, no resentment or cliche jealous siblings for once.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1