• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chillin' in Another World With Level 2 Super Cheat Powers (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:33 pm Reply with quote

Chillin' in Another World With Level 2 Super Cheat Powers (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 16 volumes, written by Miya Kinojo, illustrated by Katagiri)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: J.C. Staff

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, romance

Themes: aristocracy, demi-humans, elves, isekai, medieval, royalty, sorcery

Plot Summary: The Magical Kingdom of Klyrode summons hundreds of heroes from other worlds every year to fight in their war against the Dark One and his army of powerful demons. Banaza is one of those heroes, summoned from the Royal Capital Paluma, but something's not right—Banaza is only an average merchant. He has no magic, no fighting ability, and his stats are abysmal.

Rejected as a hero and stranded in another world, abandoned to the far reaches of the kingdom by a cruel king who just wants him gone, Banaza's fate looks pretty bleak. But then the failed hero candidate finds himself with super cheat powers once he hits level two...

Air Date & Platform:
April 8, 2024 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Being a big fan of the novels I was pretty pleased with the first episode, it looks good enough and it captures the vibe of the characters/novels pretty well. A warning though, we are not in for some amazing epic adventure, the title chillin in another world is pretty much what you can expect for 95% of the time.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Edited to change a "to" into a "too" and to reflect on having an experience similar to Blood's on that Strongest Tank isekai.

Here I was feeling cocky, fresh from dropping the Banished Former Hero isekai and convinced that yep, I wasn't really an isekai doormat. I was finally developing some standards, and an isekai had to offer something different, or I just wasn't going to play along anymore.

So I sat down to watch this anime, fully ready to show off my newly developed willpower by kicking this isekai that seemed 80% likely to be another standard model to the curb.

Title too long to fit on the digital Crunchyroll marquee? Check.
Beast woman on the cover illustration? Check.
Slavery? Check. .
Summoned to another world? Check..
Scorned because of a misunderstanding by the trash kingdom? Check
Obnoxious False hero rival? Check.
Betrayed and exiled? Check.
Game style system and levelling? Check.
Insanely overpowered from the get-go? Check.
Adventurer's Guild? Check.
Harem in progress? Check.
Am I in? Check.

Wait...what?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that opening makes me feel like I am watching an anime from like 20 years in the past. Anyway, with the second episode we have settled in the chillin part of the series. The fight at the start was settled relatively quickly and the resolution is a marriage of sorts. I have to commend the mc on having morals and being very anti slavery due to his past and sticking with that belief. It also seems like the money problems have been solved by roasting those bears (smart bear to give up and thus stay alive).

As for the hero and those knights, both can use some training.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:55 am Reply with quote
Just caught Ep1, forget the "Level 2" business, this thing is (Generic Isekai)^2 Confused Might be good for a chuckle...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:32 am Reply with quote
Like the MC, I'm not sure how a merchant who's never trained for battle is supposed to train people. His OP-iosity seems to come from tons of magic power and insta spells so far. But maybe common sense is something this world is lacking?

I don't have much invested in the insta-wife situation one way or another. Not a whole lot of romantic tension in a "You're more powerful than me, I'll worship you forever" scenario.

What this anime has going for it is that the MC is the essence of easygoing and likable from what I can see, and between the crap hero, the garbage king, and the apparently competent demon lord opposing them, the kingdom does need some help.

Chillin' is the way to approach this show IMHO.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:58 am Reply with quote
It is very much a chillin series. Killing some monsters and selling those, Rys learning to cook, the knight ladies learning how not to be horrible at fighting (though one of them seems to have become a farmer rather than a better knight). Yeah, there are outside forces such as the demons and the hero but it all seems to be about taking it easy. It helps that the show is charming to sell that premise.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:44 am Reply with quote
Yup, more taking it easy this week. When forced into a tight spot and having to accept one of two terrible choices you can just teleport the entire homestead and yolo. I wish I could claim to feel pity about the humans getting attacked by the demons but besides the female knights and the princess there have not been any good ones. On the other hand, the demon king seems pretty chill. As for the hero....ugh.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:39 pm Reply with quote
For me, this show is just stupidly funny, as I though it might be! Wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a comedy but it seems that way. Ep4 here had Ms. Witch so excited to do her best and get stronger she was hopping (?) in place. Would like to make that a meme GIF... And the Dark One (his complexion?) was so goofy wanting to get to know Ballirose because she was such a beautiful badass, if only he knew instead of being a clueless dork... Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1