• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Many Sides of Voice Actor Radio (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:40 pm Reply with quote

(The) Many Sides of Voice Actor Radio (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 9 volumes, written by Kō Nigatsu, illustrated by Saba Mizore)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Connect

Genres: comedy, drama

Themes: entertainment industry, school, yuri

Plot Summary: Yūhi and Yasumi, who are both voice actresses that attend the same high school and are in the same class. They host a radio program together. However, Yasumi is really Yumiko the gyaru (gal) in real life, while Yūhi is actually Chika the quiet girl. They are diametrically opposed in appearance and personality, and they get into fights when they are not on air.

Air Date & Platform:
April 10, 2024 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:34 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, I have mixed feelings on the first episode. The characters are interesting enough and them clashing while trying to work together is pretty fun. On the other hand, them playing their persona for the radio show makes me less engaged with it. I liked previous anime about radio shows due to how real and raw the presentator was. Wave, Listen to Me! in particular stood out since Minare is so authentic.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:01 am Reply with quote
At first I thought this was going to be about two rival voice actresses who were grown up and hated each other being forced to work together, and I was all in.

Then I found out it was about high school VAs and I was less in. But I thought it might be a kind of Love and War situation except in reverse...two people who really hate each other scheming to get the upper hand while pretending to like each other.

But now it looks like the two don't really even know each other and they're not going to be completely unreasonable. The show will probably be more about their developing friendship since they've already made considerable progress in that direction in the first episode. I didn't think the anime was bad, and people whose genre of choice tends to focus around idols might love this. I don't mind the idea of watching them try to make some progress in a tough industry exactly, but i was hoping for more comedy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:46 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode enough. Firstly on history of anime featuring gyaru girls. Which does seem a little sad that she is having to hide that side of herself as to appear professional, but at this point I think that is a bit of a selling point in showing that she can be professional despite prejudice. The other hope would be in general these girls could overcome needing to put on the more samey and safe professional character images, and perhaps be more true to their actual personality.

A little different, but I have fallen down the Vtuber pipeline, and some of the best I have come across are the kind that might have started off with a standard personality and ability to show professionalism, but then kind of came into their own as weird personalities that seem more true to who they are. So I do hope here the girls could do it over their radio show.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I liked the second episode a lot more than the first. A large part of that is due to the show focusing on more than just the radio show and showing the good and not so good parts of the industry the mc's are working in. Subjects such as the fear of not building up a large enough fanbase, overworking yourself for said fans and lying/being fake making up a large part of the work that you do make for interesting moments.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
But now it looks like the two don't really even know each other and they're not going to be completely unreasonable. The show will probably be more about their developing friendship since they've already made considerable progress in that direction in the first episode....

Why I will keep on watching this. Would much rather see friends, or even yuri, develop than watch conflict (get enough of that in real life).
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:02 am Reply with quote
Interesting episode this week. Both of the mc's were very honest with each other (I could have done without the boob action to be honest) and their hopes/dreams/insecurities were made very clear. The latter caused a conflict in the end, it was unfair to say those things but given how Yumiko's career is not going all that well the radio show ending hit like a brick. The ending was another moment of showing how their industry is a very harsh and sometimes disgusting one, one wrong photo or video and your ''fans'' turn on you in a very vicious manner.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 9:30 am Reply with quote
Last week I used quotations around the word fan to indicate how toxic they can be, the guy in this week's episodes went a step beyond even that. Yeah, the situation was ultimately resolved with the radio show continuing and the creep in question getting some smacks...yet it must suck knowing that many of the people that follow/support you are like that.

I do like that they are going to be real on their show now though, way more interesting that way.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 4:00 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
I do like that they are going to be real on their show now though, way more interesting that way.

I liked it too, super happy that going forward they would get to act their authentic selves, and them being able to drop the act was what wanted at the start. As it stands, the idea of entertainers all needing to be the samey idealised character is so boring, so yes to them having character. Even when they said they will continue because good views and that means money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1