• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) New Gate (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I should be complaining because the MC is ridiculously OP - 300 level monsters were apparently foes for top tier parties to take down, and our hero took on two 600 level monsters while cradling a baby fox cub with one hand.

The animation of the fight scenes is ass too, really.

But I enjoyed it all the way through. I really did.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:49 am Reply with quote
True, but you gotta remember that the player characters were basically gods compared to the npc's in the game power wise, there is no real comparison. Also yes, the show has many issues but it is entertaining.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I cynically came into the episode assuming it would convince me to drop the show. It did not. Like Edjwart (hee hee hee) I'm a bit puzzled why I'm enjoying this because isekai with game features and OP protagonists tend to get on my last nerve these days and this one isn't doing anything special and yet... Not saying I won't drop in the future but for now it's stayin' alive, stayin' alive, well, you can tell by the way I walk, I'm a busy man, no time to talk...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:42 am Reply with quote
My MIND'S EYES! MY MIND'S EYES! Holy crap, these things ought to come with warning labels if they're gong to make me picture Blood busting a move in a disco leisure suit Wink

Anyhow, this show does have some stuff going for it beyond the generic art and familiar feeling fantasy/game setting. For example, the interaction between the MC and the resident neighborhood badass was pretty refreshing. Usually, the resident badass would have been some kind of cartoonish bully whose reputation would have been immediately sacrificed at the altar of the MC's coolness in one of these type shows. Their respectful but somewhat guarded regard for each other was pretty mature.

The people around him are reacting fairly realistically too. Instead of immediately worshipping or attacking the MC, they're treading warily from a cautious distance in the background.

And instead of an "I've been on this world for ten hot seconds and have been a pizza delivery person my whole life, guess it's time for me to start killing monsters and tossing magical A-bombs around like it's nothing" dynamic, the MC's nonchalant competence seems fairly fitting since he just survived a death game where he was the world's best and has been swimming at the top of a shark tank for however many years.

And the transition from Sci-Fi to fantasy provides a pretty cool mystery in the background.

Not saying this is prime steak, but it's pretty decent fast food.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Now that the show has got three episodes under its belt, I can pretty confidently say that at least part of the reason I like the show is that I like Shin. He's not an @$$wipe, and he's not some dork with an ultimate cheat who just skates along while everything falls in his lap so that people can worship him more easily either. This show doesn't have irksome bits that really annoy me like a lot of bargain bin isekai, though I do grimace just a little every time there's a fight scene and they show lines appearing on someone at great speed to avoid actually animating it. But I'm digging it.

Edited to change a "there" to a "this""

Last edited by Edjwald on Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, while the show is not anything amazing there has not really been anything annoying so far. It also helps that the setting is pretty interesting with the mc haven gone from game to real world. That jump has created something of a hotpot of game elements in a world that is relatively grounded. Some of said elements feel out of place and I think you are supposed to feel that their world is a bit out of whack.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

I continue to be mystified why I'm enjoying this, but it iz wot it iz. Certainly wanna see more of that chick with the big hoots. I really hope this doesn't become a Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic where the show starts off good for me and then spirals down. Could be wrong, but I don't think that's going to happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2