• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films, Geneon USA's Distribution Deal Cancelled

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I hope Geneon USA [and their shows] can find a way to survive all this.... this is a real shame, and a very disturbing sign of the market if they're just going to exit altogether. Let's hope for the best.......

Well, there goes the merger...

I can't see any other real outcome for all this except, now, the outright disappearance of Geneon's titles from the anime landscape in North America altogether.

It is sad, because it might signal even a much deeper problem with anime marketing in North America than, to now, has been apparent.

tempest wrote:
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
I want to know what this means for Geneon's future releases. I need my Hellsing Ultimate and When They Cry.

Seriously, no one knows. I don't think the people at Geneon even know. Dentsu wants out of the North American anime market and is looking to turn Geneon into a licensing firm like Kadokawa USA or like Shopro USA before it was merged with Viz.

I think that, pretty much, clinches it right there.

It sounds like Geneon is about to become a thing of the past, since it seems that the whole thing all along was to get out of the NA market entirely and just become a licensing firm, as you stated above.

tempest wrote:

Right now Geneon doesn't have the staff to market, or sell it's titles. So I'm sure they're looking for a new partner to replace ADV but if the problems that killed the ADV deal persist, perhaps no one will want to deal with them.

I apologize for not including the explanation of why the deal was killed, but I only have one anonymous source for that, and that, and while I believe that source knows what they're talking about, a single anonymous source is never enough.
-t

I think that might be, literally, a $64,000 (or more) question. Maybe ADV took one look at the whole catalog, saw what it was, and didn't like it or something.

This was a move that could've helped ADV immensely, but then this???

xstylus wrote:
kokuryu wrote:
All the more reason for fansubs to exist when stupid stuff like this happens...

Im glad I didn't buy When They Cry - or I would be crying right now

It's you and attitudes like that which are the reason why Geneon is in the situation they're in, sir. I hope you're proud.

Well, there you have the American anime economy in a nutshell.

Either fansubs are there as a bane of the existence of the economy, or the only reason there still IS an economy.

Discuss that at will.

Last edited by starcade on Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:

As to fansubbing - why doesn't anyone ever bring up the topic of the fans who exclusively rent shows? Where I'm at I get hassled because I buy shows not because I could be downloading them "free" but because I don't exclusively rent. Has anyone worked out the numbers for the rent only crowd? Because I think that would be interesting information to hear about.

Well, with renting, the video store does actually pay the company for the product- likewise libraries. And only one copy of the product exists, which a person can only have for a limited amount of time [vs. keeping forever, and having no need to buy if you want to watch if again]. If it's popular, more copies will be bought by the library/video store, again, benifitting the anime company.

Renting anime is a more positive thing then downloading fansubs, and perfectly legal. I imagine anime companies do get some decent buisness to a small degree dealing with NetFlix, Blockbuster, public library systems [just look at all the library events Tokyopop sponsors- given the bulk of manga some libraries buy, it's not just charity]

Though ideally, fans should be supporting companies as directly as possible.... it's kidn of silly of them to hassle you for buying your anime, and supporting what you like.

ps-- Likewise, watching anime on TV isn't bad either- cable stations do PAY for those rights. Whereas fansub sites..... don't.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
So am I the only one wondering about this news item? There are no links to backing up information and the parties involved aren't talking (remember, the original announcement had a press release involved). So, how do we know this is actually happening? It's not that I don't believe what I'm reading per se but the timing of this seems strange (thought not out of the question) and the lack of more facts to back things up is a bit disturbing Confused .

Uh, ANN is allowed to post news stories that aren't just parroting other sources and press releases. In fact, most sources of journalism should. But yes, there should probably be at least a vague mention of a source on there.

MeggieMay wrote:
As to fansubbing - why doesn't anyone ever bring up the topic of the fans who exclusively rent shows? Where I'm at I get hassled because I buy shows not because I could be downloading them "free" but because I don't exclusively rent. Has anyone worked out the numbers for the rent only crowd? Because I think that would be interesting information to hear about.

Well, the big, most obvious difference is that renting is legal. And at some point, someone has bought the product to rent it at all.
ZaWarudo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Nothing would hurt the western anime market more than completely getting rid of fansubs.

Though a large portion of people download anime simply because they don't want to pay, as with any other form of media that is pirated on the internet, another large issue is the language barrier. It takes far too long for shows to be licensed and distributed in America. I believe if a company was able to work out a deal where they would license an anime, get each episode subtitled within 1 or 2 days, and put it online for download for a nominal fee, they would reap huge rewards.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, as for being the reason why it existed---- Most anime companies domestically speaking, were born in the late 80's [ADV/Animeigo] to mid 90's, LONG before the existence of downloadable fansubs.

VHS fansubs were difficult to acquire, and focused on unlicensed titles that were at the time likely to remain so. And sales of them were often cracked down upon at conventions.

Digital fansubs focus on shows likely to be licensed, already licensed, or even just outright bootlegging domestic titles by posting dubbed and subbed versions produced by ADV, Geneon and Co. on YouTube.

And downloadable fansubs didn't really exist until the early 2000's- just when the domestic industry was starting to take off, and build it's market. By 2004-ish, a lot of fans were starting to get introduced to fandom by them rather then by Anime DVD's---- and in the past few years, digital fansubs popularity continues to grow unabated, with YouTube playing a huge role [only being a few years old, vs. Animego's 20-ish years].

Anime companies started releasing less, cancelling licenses [see Mermaid Melody], taking less chances, and on occasion, dropping dead altogether [CPM, I miss you].......

One wonders what affect the advent of YouTube [which makes watching fansubs hasslefree/easy] has had on the sales of anime companies.....

Last edited by Paploo on Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsevakis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
ZaWarudo wrote:
Though a large portion of people download anime simply because they don't want to pay, as with any other form of media that is pirated on the internet, another large issue is the language barrier. It takes far too long for shows to be licensed and distributed in America. I believe if a company was able to work out a deal where they would license an anime, get each episode subtitled within 1 or 2 days, and put it online for download for a nominal fee, they would reap huge rewards.

You are absolutely right. Unfortunately, the Japanese entertainment industry is very resistent to new technology (due mostly to a very messed up copyright system there), so this remains a dream. It can be very frustrating.
starcade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
ZaWarudo wrote:
Nothing would hurt the western anime market more than completely getting rid of fansubs.

I think it just has to be finally admitted that the Golden Age of Anime in America is dead.

One has to wonder if there IS a meaningful "Western anime market", but one thing is for sure: If there is one, it's not sustainable in present form.

ZaWarudo wrote:

And that's the only way anime will survive in America: The Japanese basically control it, beginning to end, and do, essentially, as you state here.

It'll be like the death of the CD in the music industry (such as one of those exists anymore)...
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I hope we get some kind of comment on Friday, 'cause this really sucks if they cease production and releasing. I'm collecting six of their series right now, and I'll be pissed and upset if I can't finish them.

(edit: corrected number of series)

Last edited by kyokun703 on Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
So am I the only one wondering about this news item? There are no links to backing up information and the parties involved aren't talking (remember, the original announcement had a press release involved). So, how do we know this is actually happening? It's not that I don't believe what I'm reading per se but the timing of this seems strange (thought not out of the question) and the lack of more facts to back things up is a bit disturbing Confused .

You'll have more on this in the coming days. Your skepticism is healthy but unnecessary here.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:

Uh, ANN is allowed to post news stories that aren't just parroting other sources and press releases. In fact, most sources of journalism should. But yes, there should probably be at least a vague mention of a source on there.

Well that was my point - I wasn't asking for them to just parrot stuff Smile .

Quote:
MeggieMay wrote:

Well, the big, most obvious difference is that renting is legal. And at some point, someone has bought the product to rent it at all.

True enough (and I didn't even mention libraries). I just have to wonder how much potential revenue is lost by people simply refusing to buy more than just the copy the rental place has verse more people buying the shows. I also don't like being made fun of for buying my Anime Mad [the situation bugs me but I'm not trying to make a case for fansubbing here - I'm more bothered by the general attitudes I run into on the subject of buying Anime].
jsevakis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
True enough (and I didn't even mention libraries). I just have to wonder how much potential revenue is lost by people simply refusing to buy more than just the copy the rental place has verse more people buying the shows. I also don't like being made fun of for buying my Anime Mad [the situation bugs me but I'm not trying to make a case for fansubbing here - I'm more bothered by the general attitudes I run into on the subject of buying Anime].

Well, that's true, but like many downloaders those people probably wouldn't be buying in the first place, even if the option to rent wasn't there.

For most people, certainly myself, there are shows that are worth buying and shows worth owning permanently. I don't think anyone believes it was a good thing back in the day when people HAD to fork over $35 for a VHS tape to see if they liked a show. There's so much (bad) anime out there that nobody in their right mind would buy stuff sight-unseen. However, if you want to see it multiple times, purchasing makes more sense. If there are not enough people who want to do that, the show should not have been licensed and/or needed to have been marketed better.

That line, buy or rent, exists for everyone, and because you like collecting doesn't mean you should be made fun of for it. If anything, it means you could be a fun place to rent from. Smile

Unless you're talking about friends that are renting and then RIPPING the DVD's themselves. In that case, you need to make new friends.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
This is so sad. I hadn't gotten anything from Geneon in a long time, but I just got Shounen Onmyouji, Hellsing U, and Saiunkoku. Plus, I just got Gankutsosu from Netflix, which I was planning on buying if I liked it. My friends and I have been watching KKM since disc 1 and it would be a shame to have it end now when the series is almost over. If they have to sell off all their stuff, I'm going to have to find some money fast so that I can get all the series I never got around to buying.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
No! Not my favorite of all the R1 anime acquirers. I can't imagine an industry without Pioneer who gave me Ai Yori Aoshi, Mahoromatic, Card Captor Sakura, Vandread, Dokkoida, Dual, Tenchi, El Hazard, Trigun, Battle Athletes, Chobits, Hand Maid May, ROD TV, Heat Guy J, Gun Grave, AMG Movie, Mini Goddess, Paranoia Agent, Last Exile, Haibane Renmei, WXIII, Stellvia, Strawberry Eggs, Tsukihime, Ultra Maniac...

And what will become of anticipated titles like Hellsing, Black Lagoon, Zero's Familiar?

Please don't close shop...ever! It's usually your titles wherein I can listen to favorites of mine, Bridget Hoffman, Melissa Charles, and Kirk Thornton.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
........... I also don't like being made fun of for buying my Anime Mad [the situation bugs me but I'm not trying to make a case for fansubbing here - I'm more bothered by the general attitudes I run into on the subject of buying Anime].

I had a friend who had some seriously misinformed opinions about the anime industry who questioned why on earth I would pay for my anime...... it's a sad thing Sad

Collecting anime dvd's and vhs is a fun thing to do, so more power to you Anime smile

Sorry for all the doomsaying Justin. I'm just pretty shocked by all this. I'm certainly glad that we don't have to pay 35 bucks for a 2 episode VHS anymore, but I do hope that Geneon's closure isn't the sign of worse things for the market, and that anime will continue to be available at good prices, and from a large range of companies, with good competition and a wide variety of licenses. The loss of CPM, and now Geneon, makes things so uncertain.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
beelzebozo wrote:
As a retailer of said titles, I can tell you one thing that didn't help Geneon and that was their prices. They had the highest wholesale price of any of the anime companies and one of the reasons I only stocked a handful of their titles at a time. Funimation had the best prices for us, followed by Media Blasters. If I can't afford to put it out on the shelf, I can't sell it. To my knowledge, they wouldn't even cut deals with Best Buy, which sells a lot of anime these days. They hung themselves by their own noose.

Thank you. I've been saying this for YEARS! For the longest time, the only Geneon title I owned was Paranoia Agent because it was the only one worth paying my right arm for (that's what it felt like they charged). Of coure, Bandai is out-pricing even Geneon at the moment, so they don't look so bad anymore, but still. I'm surprised to hear Funimation and Media Blasters are the cheapest for retailers, though--ADV seems very inexpensive.

On topic--this worries me. Not even so much for all the Geneon series I so desperately want to finish/see, but for the North American anime industry in general. I really hope this isn't a harbinger of something worse.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 23