• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Viz Media Brings Action Packed New Episodes of Smash-Hit Series Bleach to Adult Swim

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
That means I don't have to wait to watch Sunday morning.
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not airing this weekend thanks to GI Joe
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
No offense to Bleach but anything GI Joe gains my immediate primary attention.

So does this mean [adult swim] is keeping Bleach on for a while longer or are they just trying to blow through the episodes they are contractually obligated to air? With the anime purges that have happened, I actually stopped watching the network entirely a while back but they haven't seemed to be all that thrilled by anime lately.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
No offense to Bleach but anything GI Joe gains my immediate primary attention.

And G.I. Joe Resolute is pretty awesome and extremely violent (what little I watched before getting tired of AS's streaming video quality). Definitely worth watching even for mild fans, it never would have worked on outside of Adult Swim, it's very bloody and violent.

The art that came with this press release is a bit odd. You can't see Grimmjow's mask at all though it should stick out a bit beyond his chin even in a profile shot (plus his expression isn't really his normal cocky look). Ulquiorra so rarely has his collar fastened that it's a little strange seeing him that way. But then, this press release is strange anyway, it's almost like they're admitting that viewers were down during the Bount arc and are trying to do whatever they can to get people watching again before AS cancels it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:41 am Reply with quote
Well, when Ulquiorra first showed up, he did have his suit zipped all the way for like, 2 panels in the manga, before he zips it down to show off his hole. As for Grimmjow, yeah, it's weird you can't see his mask at all, but yet spoiler[you see the scar he gets after his first fight with Ichigo, when he gets hit with the Getsuga Tenshou.]

Oh well, maybe I'll start watching again now that it's out of filler. I'm buying the DVDs and didn't particularly feel like watching a whole year of filler eps again, like I did with the fansubs. They need to move away from singles and just start releasing boxsets every 3 months like with Naruto. The DVDs are so far behind right now, it's stupid.

Also, Rukia's name is misspelled, and Hirako belongs to the "Vizards", unless Viz changed the spelling for the anime.
ryne11

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
and Hirako belongs to the "Vizards", unless Viz changed the spelling for the anime.

Visored is how it was romanized. Manga too
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, "Vizard" is wrong. It's common, yes, but it's wrong.

The proper romanization is "Visored", pronounced pretty much the same way (it's worth noting that what we'd pronounce as a schwa comes out as an "a" in Japanese, like "Gandamu" -> "Gundam"). As in, "those who have visors" - i.e., Soul Reapers with masks.

Of course, it's undeniable that the author's English is better by far than his Spanish. ^_^; I can't remember a single source confirming that "Arrancar" is related in any way to a word meaning "to tear off" or some such (as I once heard it related), and of course there's the fact that whether "Hueco Mundo" is supposed to be the world of the Hollows or a world that is hollow, the word order should be reversed (the former is "el Mundo del Huecos" and the latter is "el Mundo Hueco").
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
ryne11 wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:
and Hirako belongs to the "Vizards", unless Viz changed the spelling for the anime.

Um, I know I'm a bit behind in reading the official releases (4 volumes actually), but according to Viz's release of volume 22, on page 15, it clearly says "Vizards", which I checked last night just to be sure before posting. So uh, as I said, unless they've changed it since then, the press release has it wrong, or they corrected it in later editions of volume 22 and in future volumes which I haven't gotten around to reading yet. Rolling Eyes

@Ryusui: As for Hueco Mundo, I have a coworker who is hispanic, with fluent spanish and broken English, and when I asked him for a translation of 'hueco mundo' he said simply "hollow world", which I think gets the point across just fine. No point going into semantics over a Japanese person's grasp of Spanish. Razz
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I just think that it's nice that two episodes are being released at a time. It's not like they're going to run out of episodes anytime soon.

And hopefully, but I'm not holding my breath or anything, this will also mean quicker releases of the box sets. It's been at least a year since the first two were released and the 3rd isn't due out until July 7th...Hah! right after Anime Expo!
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
ryne11 wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:

Um, I know I'm a bit behind in reading the official releases (4 volumes actually), but according to Viz's release of volume 22, on page 15, it clearly says "Vizards", which I checked last night just to be sure before posting. So uh, as I said, unless they've changed it since then, the press release has it wrong, or they corrected it in later editions of volume 22 and in future volumes which I haven't gotten around to reading yet. Rolling Eyes

They changed it in later volumes, I believe. Viz isn't exactly known for consistancy.

Ryusui wrote:

Of course, it's undeniable that the author's English is better by far than his Spanish. Anime smile; I can't remember a single source confirming that "Arrancar" is related in any way to a word meaning "to tear off" or some such (as I once heard it related), and of course there's the fact that whether "Hueco Mundo" is supposed to be the world of the Hollows or a world that is hollow, the word order should be reversed (the former is "el Mundo del Huecos" and the latter is "el Mundo Hueco").

That's weird, because running "Arrancar" through google's translation engine shows that it is indeed related to that. And a quick check at a Spanish/English online dictonary shows the same thing. So how many sources did you check?

I'm afraid I can't recall much about Spanish grammar rules, and some brief review seems to show that adjectives normally go after a noun. If you can trust wikipedia though (big if, I know), having an adjective before the noun actually does occur in Spanish if someone "is being slightly emphatic, or even poetic, about a particular quality of an object." So if true, Hueco Mundo is also perfectly good spanish.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
Is it Viz that translates random places/occurrences into Spanish, or was Tite Kubo actually influenced by shreds of Spanish culture? What's with "Hueco Mundo (Hollow World), Menos Grande (Great Minus), Arrancar (To tear off) and Espada (Sword)" anyway?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
Stupid question time: How do you pronounce Vizored?

Is it "Viso-red" or is it "Visor'd" (sort of like beloved)?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Is it Viz that translates random places/occurrences into Spanish, or was Tite Kubo actually influenced by shreds of Spanish culture? What's with "Hueco Mundo (Hollow World), Menos Grande (Great Minus), Arrancar (To tear off) and Espada (Sword)" anyway?

It's Kubo. I don't know if he was actually influenced by the culture much though. From what I know of him, it's probably because it sounded cool and foreign to use Spanish for some stuff.

Basically, I believe someone broke it down on another forum, but here's how Kubo does things:

Shinigami/Soul Reapers: Use Japanese names for their attacks and stuff.

Hollows, and Chad: Use Spanish names for their attacks and stuff.

Quincies: Use German names for their attacks and stuff.

Don-what's-his-name (That weird minor character with the TV show): Uses English names for his attacks and stuff.
rabrek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Stupid question time: How do you pronounce Vizored?

Is it "Viso-red" or is it "Visor'd" (sort of like beloved)?

I "hear" it as Visor'd when I read it and think of it as visor-ed (the syllables stressed the same as "razored"). Have we heard it in the dub yet?
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
LagannImpact wrote:

It's Kubo. I don't know if he was actually influenced by the culture much though. From what I know of him, it's probably because it sounded cool and foreign to use Spanish for some stuff.

Basically, I believe someone broke it down on another forum, but here's how Kubo does things:

Shinigami/Soul Reapers: Use Japanese names for their attacks and stuff.

Hollows, and Chad: Use Spanish names for their attacks and stuff.

Quincies: Use German names for their attacks and stuff.

Don-what's-his-name (That weird minor character with the TV show): Uses English names for his attacks and stuff.

Hey, that's right! A lot of the Bount attacks were indeed German ("Zeigedich" for "summon", or something to that effect; however that stuff is filler and only inspired by Kubo's work). It sounds to me like Kubo took Spanish and German in high school or college, and thinks it's cool to use Spanish names for Hollows and such, to give them a "foreign" sounding effect, pretty much just as you said.

Oh, and it's Don Kenoji. Reminds me of BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1