• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ONE PIECE IS NO LONGER LICENSED BY FUNIMATION!!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davispike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the all caps, but i think that's pretty amazing. Where is my source?

http://www.unrivaled.info/anime/onepiece/

"Funimation announced the licensing of the show in early 2003, but then later confirmed they no longer have the rights to release it"

Pretty amazing huh? Two big shows this year, turned out not to be licensed. (1) Hikaru no Go; and (2) One Piece. Oh well, so say goodbye to subtitled DVDs of them. (I think it was probably because funimation thought they couldn't edit out all the blood in the show and all of Sanji's smoking ;p).
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow... didn't see that coming at all. o.O Wonder why the heck this happened, if it's legit.
davispike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I bet the Japanese folks heard that Funimation would be giving it the same "special" treatment they gave DBZ. Hehe. Yes, I know funimation has made amends, but I think that the Japanese company probably feels that way to much was edited out of DBZ and the same fate would awate OP. (For those that have actually watched OP, I would consider it a feat in itself to graphically edit OP; there is so much that doesn't meet what Funimation considers "proper" for TV). But that does kind of appal me. I mean look at southpark. I feel like I'll be going to hell when I watch that show with all the foul things in there. Yeah, I like foul things but man, sometimes there is a limit. So maybe they felt that in todays society, all of OP could be aired un-cut. I don't see why not?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:49 pm Reply with quote
davispike wrote:
(I think it was probably because funimation thought they couldn't edit out all the blood in the show and all of Sanji's smoking ;p).

Um...FUNimation would not be editing One Piece in the least unless for an ABC Family/Toonami television broadcast. Every single property under their name has been given a proper, uncut release, with the sole exception of Yu-Gi-Oh!, which was meant as a children's property anyway. One Piece will not be marketed like Yu-Gi-Oh! was, so I highly doubt the Japanese are afraid of American editing. Rolling Eyes

People, get the f*ck over it, alright? All this trivial whining and jabbing at FUNimation is unfounded in this day & age, and just makes you look like a childish, bitter DBZ fanboy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the Encyclopedia will have to take FUNi as the licensor out. Crying or Very sad
davispike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:47 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
davispike wrote:
(I think it was probably because funimation thought they couldn't edit out all the blood in the show and all of Sanji's smoking ;p).

Um...FUNimation would not be editing One Piece in the least unless for an ABC Family/Toonami television broadcast. Every single property under their name has been given a proper, uncut release, with the sole exception of Yu-Gi-Oh!, which was meant as a children's property anyway. One Piece will not be marketed like Yu-Gi-Oh! was, so I highly doubt the Japanese are afraid of American editing. Rolling Eyes

People, get the f*ck over it, alright? All this trivial whining and jabbing at FUNimation is unfounded in this day & age, and just makes you look like a childish, bitter DBZ fanboy.

Woah woah tiger, calm down now. Funimation WOULD edit OP because I am INDEED talking about editing for TV. Of course funi would release un-cut DVDs. But as we all know funi makes a ton of money from cartoon network licensing it from them, and millions watch(ed) DBZ on that station, in edited form. So yes, if they got the show they would edit it to pieces. So I don't need to "get the f*ck" over anything because apparantly you can't read.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:36 am Reply with quote
Doubt this is true. Because if they "confirmed" it, then it would be official. And I doubt they'd get rid of a show they know wouldn't make any money. As for their so-called "mis-treatment" of DBZ, reliable sources have informed me that they're on very good terms with Toei, the company behind DBZ and other shonen anime like One Piece. And Hikaru No Go anime
being licensed probably depends on the success of the manga, and Go in general.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I can't imagine TV editing would be behind Funi's alleged dropping of this title. US TV is different, so there are different standards to be upheld; nothing newsworthy there. There's got to be something else going on here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:54 am Reply with quote
Read the first line of the article people, check the date. Exactly how is this relavent now? The article is 4 months old.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:43 am Reply with quote
Toei wouldn't retract the show from FUNimation simply due to the editing. Toei doesn't really CARE how the show is handled, so long as it brings in the right ammount of profits (not meaning to say they wouldn't care, but they're in the state of "if you put an eye patch and a machine gun on the Mona Lisa, and it sells well, then we're still happy with it"). FUNimation has released some insanely popular shows (Think Yu-Gi-Oh(Distributor), DB/Z/GT, YuYu) and they'd be perfect for One Piece.

Other things more than likely came up. Perhaps there weren't enough episodes at the moment, or they simply just wanted to keep it for a few more years to make it "the next big thing' when DB eventually dies off.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:03 am Reply with quote
So that's where that painting of the Mona Lisa on my wall came from! :roll:

Again, though, long old news and certainly not an editing issue. In fact, I'd be more willing to bet that FUNimation is going to back a different horse in the 100+ episode series race.
drakh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:15 am Reply with quote
According to Bandai's Jerry Chu Funimation jumped the gun on One Piece, announcing it before everything was ready. But I haven't heard anything else about the show's status, and last I heard Funimation was just saying "no comment" to all inquiries about the show. I rather think the site is puting its own spin on things, or simply got inaccurate secondhand information.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:24 am Reply with quote
Well I've heard through the grapevine that One Piece, in terms of manga and toys, does poorly in the U.S., compared to Naruto. Dunno what that entails however...
davispike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:08 am Reply with quote
drakh wrote:
According to Bandai's Jerry Chu Funimation jumped the gun on One Piece, announcing it before everything was ready. But I haven't heard anything else about the show's status, and last I heard Funimation was just saying "no comment" to all inquiries about the show. I rather think the site is puting its own spin on things, or simply got inaccurate secondhand information.

Exactly. This is the same thing that happened with Viz and Hikaru no Go. Of course it's not in the company's best interest to come out and say "nope, we don't actually have the license, and we did jump the gun." Why would they want to say that? Then other companies will come in and try to take a potential license away. So yes, switching from "yes we have the series" to "no comment" is a good indication something wen't wrong in their tactics. Also, another possibility is they only were able to acquire "part" of the series, and not "all" of the series. Maybe they only secured rights to 1-52. This would seem intelligent on behalf of Toei since no one exactly knows (I think) how long OP is going to be. Taking a stab at it, I'd say 300 episodes, but if no one knows how long it is then it's difficult to put a valuation on it and offer it for sale.

And Gatsu: How many months has the manga for OP been out in the US? I don't know for sure, and it's too early to check heh, but I thought like volume 1 had just came out. And I know though that jump in the US has been getting naruto since day 1 I believe, so that's almost a year's exposure over nartuo. But, yeh, I'll agree, at first review, a ninja story will initially be more appealing than a story about a rubbery pirate Razz
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:43 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Well I've heard through the grapevine that One Piece, in terms of manga and toys, does poorly in the U.S., compared to Naruto. Dunno what that entails however...

Shocked There's toys here?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3