• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Editorial: An Open Letter to the Industry

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cephus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:57 am Reply with quote
I've already been saying this for years and Justin just put it into a very workable form once again. If you want to make money from Americans, you have to put it in a form that Americans want. You can throw around legalities all you want, you can threaten people, you can try to guilt them into things, but in the end, if you don't put out a product that we want to buy at a price we want to pay, you're not going to make any money and guess what? You don't deserve to.

The fact of the matter is, American fans want to see it fast and cheap. That means out online within a week of it's Japanese airing, accurately subtitled, and for about $2 an episode. Do that and you'll have fans beating a path to your website. If you want to put out a dubbed version on DVD with a lot of extras later and charge a reasonable price (and for the record, $40 for 2 episodes is nowhere near reasonable), then you'll get people either replacing their downloaded copies or get the sub-fans getting theirs. There is money to be made, but not using the tired old paradigm that hardly worked back in the 80s. Both American and Japanese companies need to get with the program and deal with the realities of the modern world, not the fantasy world they wish existed.

Justin is right, the time for them to choose is now. Any bets if they have the guts?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:06 am Reply with quote
Usual nick Quarkboy here, for some reason my old account is inactive.

Anyway, I couldn't agree more with this editorial, but I'm afraid it should be rolled up, tied to an arrow, and shot into the office window of each Japanese anime company executive.

Or, I suppose, we could all rent a fleet of ships, paint them black, and sail into Tokyo Bay, and refuse to leave until the anime companies give us what we want. Hey, it worked before!

(Fansubs = The evolution of the Perry's black ships Now: Discuss)
DKong

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:11 am Reply with quote
My stance:
I download fansubs for unlicensed shows that I'm interested in watching. I also buy DVDs of shows I really like. I rarely, if ever, download licensed stuff.

What I think the issue is:
You know what? I don't really give a shit how cheap DVDs are compared to what old skool VHS prices were. I care about how cheap they are in comparison to other DVDs- notably DVDs of American movies and shows.
Frankly, anime pricing isn't even close to being on par with the other DVDs.

For 200 or so minutes of a given anime series, the MSRP is anywhere between $20-40ish per DVD, depending on if it's a pre-order release or if it's special edition (and hell, sometimes special editions go for more, just look at Haruhi).

For anywhere from 200ish minutes of a movie [including bonus features and whatnot] or TV show on a DVD, the MSRP is anywhere from $10-25ish, again, depending on if it's a special release or not.

For boxsets, anime pricing is all over the place. You have cheap stuff in thinpaks, expensive 26 episode series, cheap 26 ep series, cheap short series, expensive short series. But all in all, for starting prices, even including discounts Amazon or Right Stuff will give you, anime box sets are anywhere from $40-200.

For American stuff like 24, the Office, the Simpsons, etc...you can pay $50-60 for an entire season (honestly, I'm not sure how many episodes that is....probably similar to how many are in anime)...and that's BEFORE stores give discounts. You could probably get them for $20-30 easily.

Therefore, no, anime is not cheap. It's cheap compared to what it used to be, but in the current DVD market that Americans are exposed to- it's not cheap.

What "the industry" can do to save it's ass:
As far as I'm concerned....either drop dubs altogether, or release disks that are cheaper that have no bonus features and no dubs.

From what I've heard, dubs cost a boatload of money for companies. If they cut those out, how many customers would they lose? I'd assume a very, very small portion. While some people prefer dubs, few people will watch dubs and only dubs. They'd settle for sub if they had to.
Without a dub track, companies can make DVDs cheaper, or at the very least not have the huge payroll of a dubbing cast. And if my above statement is true (regarding dub fans), they'll sell around the same amount of DVDs as they usually were.
Then again, if they choose to make DVDs cheaper, they'll probably sell more.

Screw selling anime online. If people are proficient enough with computers that they'd be considering buying anime online, I don't see why they wouldn't just go to bittorrent and download stuff for free.
I mean, I guess if a company was selling shows for like 25 cents each, I'd probably buy them. But as of now, the $2 anime episodes on iTunes just aren't worth it. I'd rather just spend the extra $5-10 and get the anime in a physical form rather than just a file on my computer.

An online subscription service would work well, too. Let's say, for $10 a month, you can watch as much anime as you want off of a given site that streams anime.
I could see people using that. It would help out everyone. Odds are, there'd be people that watch as much as he can to get their money's worth. Then again, there might be some people who only watch an ep or 2 on a given month, because they might've been busy. Who knows? But I could see it working.

Bottom Line:
$20-30 per DVD [on average], just ain't cutting it. Do something about it. My best idea would be to cut out dubs, therefore lowering production costs.
Akakori

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:14 am Reply with quote
I totally agree with everything in this letter. It's addressed everything that should be obvious to anyone interested in these issues in a ordered, readable form.

So, I say, stem the source - burn the Internet!

But seriously, what the industry needs to do is work together against the torrenting hordes. Japanese and American companies should team up much more closely than they are now and release new shows much faster. There must be thousands of people ho can translate between Japanese and English, so employ these people to work immediately on subbing brand new shows and get them out onto pay-per-view sites.

While the viewer must pay per episode, they could be viewing an originally subbed version, without the problems of TV recordings (such as schedule change information written all over the episode) at a speed comparable to a fansub release.

In other words, translate it before they do!
Cephus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:18 am Reply with quote
While American licensees wouldn't like this, I don't see why the Japanese don't just translate, subtitle and sell their own shows on their own websites and the hell with American licenses. The Japanese could release the episodes subtitled online at exactly the same time they aired them on TV, you can't get any faster than that.
lem

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:22 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I've said this before on several threads, but the industry (in terms of US distribution companies) needs to learn from fansubs on how fans want to see anime. Yeah, they can't compete on the speed or the price, but they could at least take some steps to take away the "fansubs are better than DVDs!" ammunition from the fansub afficcionados. Why is it that I can download Death Note fansubs that properly translate and position all the written text in the series, but if I buy the DVD from Viz and choose to watch it in English, I have to leave the one subtitle track on or miss out on all the written text translations? (According to posts on the AnimeonDVD forums, the Death Note DVDs don't have a secondary subtitle track for songs and signs, even though the [as] broadcast version had that stuff hardsubbed.) Why can I download Rumbling Hearts fansubs that perfectly translate the storybook at the end of episode 14, while the Funimation release just leaves these massive blocks of text untranslated? Why can I download fansubs (and R2 DVD-rips) of the Saikano OVA that have properly translated subtitles, while the Viz DVD release has 75% dubtitles that are completely and unprofessionally wrong at many occasions? Why are the subtitles in Bang Zoom releases like Kannazuki no Miko, Gankutsuou, and Haruhi clunky, stilted, and over-literal compared to the flowing, enjoyable, and almost-as-accurate fansub subtitles of the same series? Why do many fans choose to download fansubs even when presented with the equal opportunity to download straight rips of the R1 DVDs?

I mean yeah, there are problems caused by fansubs, and they are serious, but there are low-cost, feasible steps that can be taken.

What a joke. You just don't get it? Stealing is wrong. people go to jail or worst for doing it, everyday somewhere on this planet. Pull your head out. To encourage it, or attempt to justify it is lame.

How 'bout an OPEN letter to ANN's very own moderator. As one who buys all of his anime, this is irresponsible and inexcusable on ANN's part.
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:25 am Reply with quote
DKong wrote:
My stance:
I download fansubs for unlicensed shows that I'm interested in watching. I also buy DVDs of shows I really like. I rarely, if ever, download licensed stuff.

What I think the issue is:
You know what? I don't really give a shit how cheap DVDs are compared to what old skool VHS prices were. I care about how cheap they are in comparison to other DVDs- notably DVDs of American movies and shows.
Frankly, anime pricing isn't even close to being on par with the other DVDs.

For 200 or so minutes of a given anime series, the MSRP is anywhere between $20-40ish per DVD, depending on if it's a pre-order release or if it's special edition (and hell, sometimes special editions go for more, just look at Haruhi).

For anywhere from 200ish minutes of a movie [including bonus features and whatnot] or TV show on a DVD, the MSRP is anywhere from $10-25ish, again, depending on if it's a special release or not.

For boxsets, anime pricing is all over the place. You have cheap stuff in thinpaks, expensive 26 episode series, cheap 26 ep series, cheap short series, expensive short series. But all in all, for starting prices, even including discounts Amazon or Right Stuff will give you, anime box sets are anywhere from $40-200.

For American stuff like 24, the Office, the Simpsons, etc...you can pay $50-60 for an entire season (honestly, I'm not sure how many episodes that is....probably similar to how many are in anime)...and that's BEFORE stores give discounts. You could probably get them for $20-30 easily.

Therefore, no, anime is not cheap. It's cheap compared to what it used to be, but in the current DVD market that Americans are exposed to- it's not cheap.

As far as I'm concerned....either drop dubs altogether, or release disks that are cheaper that have no bonus features and no dubs.

From what I've heard, dubs cost a boatload of money for companies. If they cut those out, how many customers would they lose? I'd assume a very, very small portion. While some people prefer dubs, few people will watch dubs and only dubs. They'd settle for sub if they had to.
Without a dub track, companies can make DVDs cheaper, or at the very least not have the huge payroll of a dubbing cast. And if my above statement is true (regarding dub fans), they'll sell around the same amount of DVDs as they usually were.

Screw selling anime online. If people are proficient enough with computers that they'd be considering buying anime online, I don't see why they wouldn't just go to bittorrent and download stuff for free.
I mean, I guess if a company was selling shows for like 25 cents each, I'd probably buy them. But as of now, the $2 anime episodes on iTunes just aren't worth it. I'd rather just spend the extra $5-10 and get the anime in a physical form rather than just a file on my computer.

An online subscription service would work well, too. Let's say, for $10 a month, you can watch as much anime as you want off of a given site that streams anime.
I could see people using that. It would help out everyone. Odds are, there'd be people that watch as much as he can to get their money's worth. Then again, there might be some people who only watch an ep or 2 on a given month, because they might've been busy. Who knows? But I could see it working.

You're making a huge assumption that is flat out wrong. Dubbing is a huge part of the industry and a large part of sales absolutely depends on it. Dub fans are every bit the equal consumer as sub fans, either through lack of experience with the Japanese version or through legitament preference. You are confusing the majority with the most vocal. Because dub fans as a whole don't create a loud presence online or even refrain from communicating with the industry entirely outside of purchasing decisions many hardcore fans assume they're a small group that is vastly outnumbered. In fact, the lack of a English dub would severely hurt DVD sales as great deal of fans, myself included, would refuse to buy a DVD with only a subtitle track. One only has to look at the dubbless DVDs out right now to see how true this is. Little to no big series are commercial released without a dub, and the ones that are sale a great deal less then their dub counterparts.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that dub fans outnumber subbies in actually buying the DVDs. The 'hardcore' fans that you typically find preferring subtitles are the primary watchers of fansubs. While this is a generalization and not a law by any means, the fact remains that dub fans are required to buy the DVDs to enjoy their prefrence.

While a speedier release of a cheap subtitle DVD is a great idea, cutting dubs completely from the industry would only sink it farther into obscurity.

lem wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
I've said this before on several threads, but the industry (in terms of US distribution companies) needs to learn from fansubs on how fans want to see anime. Yeah, they can't compete on the speed or the price, but they could at least take some steps to take away the "fansubs are better than DVDs!" ammunition from the fansub afficcionados. Why is it that I can download Death Note fansubs that properly translate and position all the written text in the series, but if I buy the DVD from Viz and choose to watch it in English, I have to leave the one subtitle track on or miss out on all the written text translations? (According to posts on the AnimeonDVD forums, the Death Note DVDs don't have a secondary subtitle track for songs and signs, even though the [as] broadcast version had that stuff hardsubbed.) Why can I download Rumbling Hearts fansubs that perfectly translate the storybook at the end of episode 14, while the Funimation release just leaves these massive blocks of text untranslated? Why can I download fansubs (and R2 DVD-rips) of the Saikano OVA that have properly translated subtitles, while the Viz DVD release has 75% dubtitles that are completely and unprofessionally wrong at many occasions? Why are the subtitles in Bang Zoom releases like Kannazuki no Miko, Gankutsuou, and Haruhi clunky, stilted, and over-literal compared to the flowing, enjoyable, and almost-as-accurate fansub subtitles of the same series? Why do many fans choose to download fansubs even when presented with the equal opportunity to download straight rips of the R1 DVDs?

I mean yeah, there are problems caused by fansubs, and they are serious, but there are low-cost, feasible steps that can be taken.

What a joke. You just don't get it? Stealing is wrong. people go to jail or worst for doing it, everyday somewhere on this planet. Pull your head out. To encourage it, or attempt to justify it is lame.

How 'bout an OPEN letter to ANN's very own moderator. As one who buys all of his anime, this is irresponsible and inexcusable on ANN's part.

Zalis is a moderator of the forum, not a head huncho of ANN. He's allowed to have his own opinions, as requiring the staff to a homogenized opinion base would be foolish and inappropriate. Read the beginning of the article, the whole editorial was the opinion of the founder. It was not the official stance of ANN itself.

Last edited by Seif on Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:54 am; edited 4 times in total
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:30 am Reply with quote
DKong wrote:

I think most of us come to the conclusion there should be some sort of equatable legit service to fansubs after a while. After all, business needs to adapt to customers. And though it is true red-tape problems and whatnot provide deterrents for potential do-gooders, that certainly shouldn't stop them from trying. They'll be forced to this eventually, I think. Lots of TV shows and movies are available through iTunes...hell even BlackJack OVAs and Astro Boy. Its a logical direction to take; I think we'll get there...eventually.

I don't know about DVD pricing though man. Especially considering the returns these companies need to profit, I don't think that anything much different from what is now is anywhere in the near future. I personally don't feel its that unreasonable; the TV shows and movies you speak of are mainstream over here. Anime doesn't have that kind of pull, be fair.

I can't deny though that cutting out dubs wouldn't make me warm and fuzzy inside. Now before a mob destroys me, please keep in mind that: dubs are expensive, like Dkong pointed out; they're often sub-par in quality when compared with Japanese counterparts; AND they take up DISC SPACE! If people really REALLY HAD to have dubs, wouldn't fansubs be not so popular? I realize dubs are an important bridge into the medium for non-fans, but that isn't the only way of going about things! When you look at a show with 2.0 Japanese and 5.1 English, if you threw out the English you could either pack higher quality audio, or more episodes, or up the video quality. The final product would be the better for it if you could get past the non anglais. In my mind, better quality disc + no more dub fees is nothing but happiness and rainbows. Rainbows of happiness, even. Maybe the DVD price would even go down!
Come on dub, take one for the team.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:31 am Reply with quote
DKong wrote:

So you want the companies to shed the majority of the market or go back to the VHS days with two releases. Real forward thinking here.

Quote:
If they cut those out, how many customers would they lose? I'd assume a very, very small portion. While some people prefer dubs, few people will watch dubs and only dubs. They'd settle for sub if they had to.
You assume wrong. On fansub boards you always get the "dubs, we don't watch those". On some boards like AoD, people cry murder if there is only a sub.

Quote:
Prices would go down $5 at most as already evidenced by MB and others who are aware of the problem. (The head of MB made a post on the AoD board very similar to the editorial just earlier today.) MB has also clearly said that removing the sub track means it sells a lot worse, but producing the dub would just be suicidal.

dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
When you look at a show with 2.0 Japanese and 5.1 English, if you threw out the English you could either pack higher quality audio, or more episodes, or up the video quality. The final product would be the better for it if you could get past the non anglais. In my mind, better quality disc + no more dub fees is nothing but happiness and rainbows. Rainbows of happiness, even. Maybe the DVD price would even go down!
Come on dub, take one for the team.
Higher quality audio has to exist first to pack it in. The audio quality is not going to get much higher than it already is. Secondly, if you need an example of "You cannot fit more than six episodes on a disc and have it look good", just look at the Haruhi LE discs. Five episodes is pushing it there. Higher video quality is the only thing possible and for the many releases, you wouldn't notice it.

Last edited by bayoab on Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:34 am Reply with quote
Disc space isn't an issue. Fruits Basket crams 7 dual lanuage episodes with extras onto a disc.

Also...

Quote:
I can't deny though that cutting out dubs wouldn't make me warm and fuzzy inside. Now before a mob destroys me, please keep in mind that: dubs are expensive, like Dkong pointed out; they're often sub-par in quality when compared with Japanese counterparts;

That is your opinon. One that is, believe it or not, shared by the majority of the industry.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:36 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Getting the Japanese companies to allow it would be pretty miraculous, though :/.

Seconded. If those companies have mid-level editors firmly insisting on trivial matters like specific hotel room s/he stays during a con, I really wonder how stubborn their higher executives can be on the issue of international distribution via Internet. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:37 am Reply with quote
Cephus wrote:
I've already been saying this for years and Justin just put it into a very workable form once again. If you want to make money from Americans, you have to put it in a form that Americans want. You can throw around legalities all you want, you can threaten people, you can try to guilt them into things, but in the end, if you don't put out a product that we want to buy at a price we want to pay, you're not going to make any money and guess what? You don't deserve to.

The fact of the matter is, American fans want to see it fast and cheap. That means out online within a week of it's Japanese airing, accurately subtitled, and for about $2 an episode. Do that and you'll have fans beating a path to your website. If you want to put out a dubbed version on DVD with a lot of extras later and charge a reasonable price (and for the record, $40 for 2 episodes is nowhere near reasonable), then you'll get people either replacing their downloaded copies or get the sub-fans getting theirs. There is money to be made, but not using the tired old paradigm that hardly worked back in the 80s. Both American and Japanese companies need to get with the program and deal with the realities of the modern world, not the fantasy world they wish existed.

Justin is right, the time for them to choose is now. Any bets if they have the guts?

Isn't that easier said than done? Considering all the legality involve when dealing with multi-million dollar industry?

First there is something call marketing. The japanese can't just subtitle and series and offer it for 2 dollar download without marketing propertly to the general public. And the Japanese don't know nearly as much as say Funmation or ADV. Remember when Toei try to setup a branch here and fail because they didn't know how the US market work. You need people that speak english, know about anime fans (interact with them at AX) and have american business connections so they can post ads in videogame mag and so on. Imagine if you were trying to penetrate the japanese market, you would need Japanese connections.

Second, it's tax. You can't have a multi-million dollar industry selling to a country and not expect to pay some of tax to the government. Japanese companies can't just sell their product directly to the American people without paying some kind of tax. With american anime indsutry, they pay income tax and anime being distro here has created job for thousand of people.

There's just as many other business factor that can come into play.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:38 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:

You're making a huge assumption that is flat out wrong. Dubbing is a huge part of the industry and a large part of sales absolutely depends on it. Dub fans are every bit the equal consumer as sub fans, either through lack of experience with the Japanese version or through legitament preference. You are confusing the majority with the most vocal. Because a lot the dub fans don't make a loud pretense online or even refrain from communicating with the industry outside the DVDs many hardcore fans assume they're a small group that is vastly outnumbered. In fact, the lack of a English dub would severely hurt DVD sales as great deal of fans, myself included, would refuse to buy a DVD with only a subtitle track. One only has to look at the dubbless DVDs out right now to see how true this is. Little to no big series are commercial released without a dub, and the ones that are sale a great deal less then their dub counterparts.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that dub fans outnumber subbies in actually buying the DVDs. The 'hardcore' fans that you typically find preferring subtitles are the primary watchers of fansubs. While this is a generalization and not a law by any means, the fact remains that dub fans are required to buy the DVDs for there preference.

While a speedier release of a cheap subtitle DVD is a great idea, cutting dubs completely from the industry would only sink it farther into obscurity.

Well, I didn't know that! I guess I should sympathize...even though dubbing is a painful part of my life I try to ignore. Do you think dual releases would be a good idea? Would manufacturing different versions raise cost?
medagirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:38 am Reply with quote
fusion duelist wrote:
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
This makes me think of Russia circa 1990; they had no economy, so they legitimized the mafia. What if American distributors contracted the fansub organizations? I think it would be a great combination; on the one hand its legitimized and regulated, but on the other hand you have the fansubber sensibilities, like let's get this out quick and do it nice. If they would both keep each other in check the end result could be interesting.

The only problem with that is a series would have to be licensed before it airs, if they could do that, your idea would be the best way to go.

That’s where having the Japanese anime companies make a pilot episode or a 2 to 5 minute trailer would be beneficial. The American licensing companies could view the pilot or trailer and see if the anime is a series that they would like to license. Or the licensers could bring it to the fans and have the hired fansubbers sub the pilot or trailer and air it on the net for the fans to vote on and see if it’s a show that fans want to watch.

But as for the actual editorial, it was good. I had been thinking a about a downgraded version of that for a while but could never really explain it if someone asked me about the fansub/US licensers issue. Now I can point folks to this article.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:42 am Reply with quote
DKong wrote:

Seif already made some good comments on this, but the key points warrant reiterating.

Everyone I've head from who actually sees and deals with American anime sales figures - such as company execs and those involved in major online retailers - has consistently and emphatically stated that anime DVDs with English dubs nearly always (and usually vastly) outsell subbed-only anime. With rare exceptions where the original creator objects to the product being dubbed (such as certain Satoshi Kon films), subbed-only anime releases are usually only done for titles likely to only appeal to the hardcore otaku market in America and unlikely to find an audience outside that market. If more mainstream titles - like Naruto, for instance, or even something like Death Note - were to be released subbed-only, sales would probably be disastrously bad.

And as Seif also said, despite what a lot of hardcore fans may think, there is a vast body of anime fans beyond forums like this who actually prefer dubs. That has, again, consistently been proven by sales figures over time.

Quote:

On this point I agree with you. I can't see a $2/episode online service attracting away too many of the "entitlement" crowd, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 50