• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyopop Initial D thoughts...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow.
Tokyopop has most definitely made a critical error in judgement, or have they?
Let's look at the facts. They will, change the names. A bad decision, even by their own admittance. They may change the music. Also bad, as I own the soundtrack and quite frequently, ahem, "Rage My Dream". They want to get the series on television in the worst way. Mixed bag. Bandai wanted Escaflowne on TV, didn't they? But Pioneer also wanted Tenchi Muyo on TV, which (to some extent) has pushed the 3rd OAV into production as well as GXP.
I am a tremendous fan of Initial D, and an import tuner to boot. (hence, a bit of a tear is shed when someone unmentioned speaks about "$1500 wheels on a $400 dollar car. I paid $500 for my Yamaha motorcycle) I drift with friends in parking lots with the shop owner's permission and a helmet and I most certainly do not encourage street racing. But I do encourage a show that highlights the fact that regular people do this sort of thing as well.
I admit, I was upset at TP's announcement. It struck me as inexcusable for such a (formerly, from the general opion now) fan-supported company. But, if they do go ahead with releasing un-edited as well as mass-consumption edited material, they will have a wide financial base to bring over even more of the anime we love AND build up a relation with networks where they can call some of the shots. Imagine, if you will, TP bringing over Chobits a year after Initial D (the anime) is a little screen success story paralleling Gundam. Then, they'll have the clout to say "Well, we could do that to this series too. But we don't think it's a good idea so we won't." and the networks, with dollars in their eyes, will pat them on the back saying "Well, you pulled it off for us last time. Go right ahead." I leave myself completely open for your hatred of my optimism. True, this could just be naive hope. But I think that in the grand scheme of things, there may indeed be something good to be taken out of this. At the very least, Tokyopop will have learned what a public relations miscue a decision like this is.
ZanLong

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 1:24 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
Folks, it IS the next Speed Racer. The races are goofy and rediculous

Then you have not seen World Rally Championship racing. Initial D's races are illegal street rally racing. In fact the D in the title stands for Drift, which is what rally car drivers have to do to keep there speed up when they make a turn on the roads they race on.
The only differace between WRC and the illegal racing in Initial D, is that in WRC They don't race directly against each other - cars start at one or two minute intervals, racing against the clock, their times monitored and entered into the FIA computer. Unless they run into trouble (or a snow bank), rivals rarely see each other during a stage. At the end of an event, the driver who's taken the least amount of time to complete all the stages is the winner.
In Initial D, it is two cars racing against each other.
Speed Racer did not forces on the races. Plus the car of the show was a techno car that looked like it belonged in a James Bond film. The cars in Initial D have real world counterparts.
While I am not saying that Initial D got it 100% right, it does give a good attempt at a type of rally racing, even if it is illegal. Speed Racer was not based on any type of racing, plus I think you will have a hard time finding real world counterparts for the cars in Speed Racer.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to give a small addendum to Zanlong's statement that drifting is a rally skill. There also are many sanctioned drift events in of themselves. Take a look at this month's Car & Driver magazine, in fact. They have a complete article on the rapidly growing drift scene which is especially hot in Hawaii. Which is where the article is based. The events are judged on time through a twisting section of an actual race cours as well as style and skill in drifting your vehicle.
jon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:40 am Reply with quote
I'm one of those who bought Initial D(and Love Hina), who contributed to making Tokyopop's first printing a "sellout". I also spread the word on their "100% Authentic Manga" to others. and own vol. 1-3 of Love Hina, and 1-2 of Initial D. Strange that Tokyopop would want to change a product that according to their own press release that was so sucessful and risk alienation of your customers. Something that has not been mentioned or commented upon is the wholesale change in translation and editorial staff(including senior editors and production) following volume 1 of Initial D and Love Hina. Isn't that more than a little unusual for a sucessful project? I also note that from Tokyopop's covers: Initial D-older teen age 16+, and vol.1 Love Hina-teen age 13+, Vol. 1 of Love Hina has bare bottoms and the top of bare breasts shown and suggestive language(the onsen scene), interesting? By vol. 3 Love Hina is now rated older teen 16+, Young Adult. From reading vol.2 of Initial D, it's clear that not just the names have been changed either-sample dialogue:"Just a fast and furious trying to impress his girlfriend." BTW. this vol still carries the "100%" label which Tokyopop says will be changed with vol. 3. I am having doubts about the faithfulness of the translations of the rest of Tokyopop's "100%" line such as Love Hina, and since Tokyopop has persuaded Kodansha to stop distributing their bilingual editions in NA, who's to know the difference. If you convince enough people that 90 or even 75% is the real deal, then why make available a 'special edition' later at additional expense("Future plans" are subject to change), how would it be labed-200% or "We really, really mean it this time-100%!" :?:
Gai Super Napalm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:40 am Reply with quote
I pretty much agree with all of Gatsu's posts. Gatsu is smart, listen to Gatsu.

Lets see, I had a comment of my own somewhere.. ahh yes. I don't really like name changes because when I read a fan translation or something, I get used to that name. For instance, Madison? No no no my friend, Tomoyo. But I think sometimes people forget that there actually are people that still buy things just to check them out.. not all pre-meditated.

I don't know anything about Initial D manga or series, but I'm assuming that it doesn't matter if the guy is named whatever or jefferey? Its not some name that is constantly refered to with some kinda running joke or something? If its not, then (to borrow from mr. ritchie) you could call him susan if it makes you happy. Changing a name isn't changing the translation.

As for the tofu-pizza thing, theres no tofu delivery in the US (please don't give me some bizzare small corner tofu shop in california as a counter example..). If you go to kansas, wyoming, oaklahoma, california, new york, florida.. if you go anywhere, people know what pizza is and know what pizza delivery is. Tofu is a fairly decently known food here but if you think that all americans (and for some people on this forum north americans) know what it is you are sadly mistaken.

Removing kanji on cars.. i don't remember anyone here posting which kanji they were.. probably because nobody could read them. If you can't, then what do you care if its a kanji or if its something else? You can't call that changing intent of artist or whatever everyone is arguing about with edits.

Finaly the removed scene, Gatsu is right, things are edited for content everywhere. Just because something's OK for Japan doesn't mean its OK for america. I'm sure it happens the other way around, occasionaly. And if it doesn't, and you still aren't happy, move to japan. After a year you'll be speaking pretty well (emersion, baby) and If you tried you could read nicely, too. Then you could watch the broadcast versions of their anime over there, and whine at japanese people when they edit those for content or what have you.

The only dissenting opinion i agree with is that with a sceen edited *out*, it shouldn't be called 100% authentic. But as I understand from the manga I have purchased from them, they use "100% authentic manga" to mean printed right to left.

At least you get that out of tokyo-pop, a huge leap in terms of trusting us with japanese style/culture/whatever. I think you took the word authentic out of the context they were using it in and then retranslated it.. of course someone just passing by in the store wouldn't know their context either; but then again, they wouldn't know about the edits, either. ^_^

I'm still a big Tokyo Pop fan (I just can't abbreviate that damnit).. they've done things that NOBODY ever thought anyone would do; they are releasing kodocha manga here and Marmalade Boy TV.. and you go and say that they smashed the hopes and dreams of poor little you, the hardcore otaku.

At least they said sorry before putting their little pocket knife in your back.. companies before wouldn't have even done anything or said anything about it. People would complain and that would fall upon deaf ears (which I don't think will happen at TPop).. if they did release some completely unedited version, and the people who are complaining would not buy it out of spite.. thats just shooting yourself in the foot. And by some supposedly hardcore fans now apparently boycotting Tpop, its like taking their pocket knife stab in the back and returning it with a machete.
Ramen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:19 am Reply with quote
Just a quick clarification on the whole tofu vs. pizza delivery thing. In the story, Takumi is delivering tofu during the pre-dawn hours. Even if you do make it pizza delivery, anyone know of a pizza parlor that delivers before the sun comes up? In any case, the TokyoPop letter specifies that they did not change it to pizza.

Also, I looked up the Kanji "Fujiwara Toufuya (Jikayou)" and it translates to "Fujiwara Tofu Shop (private practice)" ... I think. The dictionary translates "Jikayou" to mean "for private or home use." Anyway, this is moot as well because they didn't change it.

From the letter regarding changes not made.
"Most of the time, amidst this onslaught, we stick to our guns. Tofu stays tofu - place names like Mount Akina, Myogi, Akagi, the names of the racing teams, the name of the very prefecture wherein the story unfolds, the Fujiwara Tofu Shop kanji on the side of the Eight-Six -- we keep them all
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7