• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryoga2pchan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Moogle-X wrote:
As of this moment, I will not purchase any unfinished series until all volumes and/or a box set is available for fear of losing yet MORE series I began purchasing in good faith. I imagine I'm not the only one thinking this anymore.

Just to echo the opinions of several others...

As I stare at various unfinished Geneon titles, this is exactly what Im going to do: wait for the series to be done before I buy it(save for any series' that truely tickle my fancy). I hate to not know how a story ends. Sure you may be able to get the manga, but to me its not the same. Its more than just a financial investment to me, its almost an emotional investment. You buy the DVD to be captivated by the story. When it just ends, and leaves you in the lurch, its upsetting. And as to "supporting the industry", I own 1,800+ region 1 anime DVD releases. I've paid my "dues". I have to look after my own best interest.

Regardless of how this turns out, the industry as a whole needs to learn to stop stonewalling its customers. Any bonds of trusts that anime companies have with their customers are becoming strained as of late, if not broken entirely.

*P.S.* MokonaModoki- The rules of Anime Licensing Club brought a smile to me. Thanks. I really needed that right now. Smile

Last edited by ryoga2pchan on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
grgspunk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
To all of you spouting off such lines as "They have no right at all to not finish their releases," or "I'll never buy another single again until the whole series is out," let me ask this of you: how many of you downloaded said titles well before they were licensed? If that's the case, what are you really losing by a series being dropped halfway through? I know it's admittedly discouraging to have half of a series on DVD and know that you'll probably never see the rest released, but does this change the fact that you downloaded the entire series in the first place? Do whole series worth of video files magically disappear from your hard drive as soon as you purchase the first volume? If you only wind up with three disks out of a possible six, then hey, at least that's half a series you own, and that's better than nothing; no one's stopping you from continuing to watch the rest of it via what you downloaded. And if you are one of the people who didn't download the series beforehand and were watching it via the DVDs, well, if worst comes to worst, you can always go out there and get what you're missing. There's never a 100% guarantee that any series you start buying will be released in its entirety; if there was, then I'd be able to have the entire red jacket Lupin series in my possession instead of just half of it. The company isn't doing anything at all illegal or questionable by not being able to release the rest of the volumes; that's just the unfortunate way that business works sometimes, and you're still better off than when you started.

Unfortunately, there is something that adversely affects anime consumers when they purchase a series they already downloaded only to realize that it crapped out halfway through: Opportunity Costs.

In other words, chances are, if the customers knew that the title wasn't going to be completed, they wouldn't have much of a reason to buy the series and delete the fansubs in the first place. But because they quickly realized that they won't be able to complete buying the series, they're complaining because they could have spent the money they already expended either on a series that was already completed, or something else entirely. I don't think consumers are going to say "it's better than nothing", because they essentially lost money that "could have been better spent elsewhere".

With this in mind, it's only natural that fans are going to be much more distrustful of the industry as a whole, regardless of how much they themselves contributed to the events that have happened.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:
With this in mind, it's only natural that fans are going to be much more distrustful of the industry as a whole, regardless of how much they themselves contributed to the events that have happened.

Of course, this is assuming that distribution of these titles actually do cease, which isn't necessarily the best of assumptions at this point. Heck, we don't even know the ultimate fate of Geneon's titles yet.

I would echo what others here are saying in that people should cool it until we know what's going on.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
grgspunk wrote:

Of course, this is assuming that distribution of these titles actually do cease, which isn't necessarily the best of assumptions at this point. Heck, we don't even know the ultimate fate of Geneon's titles yet.

I would echo what others here are saying in that people should cool it until we know what's going on.

I guess, but in this current situation where various titles have been put on "hiatus" or cancelled halfway through (not just by Geneon, but by Viz too), so unless ADV says "It'll be okay", I don't think most people are going to take any chances.
KamenRiderFaiz555

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I have a friend who is moving to Japan in a few years. He is doing it to be a teacher. He wants me to come with him so he has at least ONE friend from America, too keep him from feeling too alienated. I told him "we'll see" because I figured I'd wind up not wanting to do it. However, the way things are going in my personal life, in addition to all the sh!t going on with R1 lately, I'm seriously considering it. The state of R1 over the next 3 years WILL have a say in my choice (as much as I hate to admit it).
ryoga2pchan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
AnimeCornerStore wrote:
Take a breath, go have a drink.

Working on it. In the immortal words of Homer Simpson "Beer, beer, beer, bed, bed, bed!"
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
I know firsthand that not being able to buy an entire series is truly aggravating, and I'd also much rather purchase series in their entirety at once than deal with the occasional uncertainty over singles releases. And heck, I'm as big of a dub fan as anyone. I guess the point that I was trying to make is that, given the choice between owning half a series on DVD and not getting any of it at all, I'll gladly choose owning half. What I purchase, I do so because I want the product at the time I purchased it. Hindsight is always 20/20, but I'm not going to second-guess myself over a few disks I may have bought in the past that didn't work out the way I wanted to. (Hell, I worked like mad to buy the rest of the individual Lupin volumes after Geneon ceased distribution, knowing all the while that they only represented half of the whole series.) If I purchased something because I wanted it at the time, and if making that purchase brought me joy in any sense, I consider it money well-spent, and I won't regret having done so.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
ryoga2pchan wrote:

Quote:
s I stare at various unfinished Geneon titles, this is exactly what Im going to do: wait for the series to be done before I buy it. I hate to not know how a story ends. Sure you may be able to get the manga, but to me its not the same. Its more than just a financial investment to me, its almost an emotional investment. You buy the DVD to be captivated by the story.

This point has been made countless times throughout the thread, and it makes no sense. The market is drying up because not enough people buy releases, so fan's reactions are....to stop buying releases. Yeah, that'll show em'. If a series is canceled mid-way through, it's because no one (relatively) is buying itand to release anymore would lose money needed to shore up other titles/stay in the black. If there isn't enough consumer interest to make a title profitable, that's the companies fault how? It seems a lot of fans on here love to throw the specter of 'market forces' (or at least a poor conception of it) when demanding cheaper/faster releases too counter fansubs ('too bad about piracy, thats just new age business!!'), yet when 'market forces' dictate there aren't enough fans buying discs to keep a series running, somehow the companies at fault. That' s an awful convenient double standard.

Quote:
Any bonds of trusts that anime companies have with their customers are becoming strained as of late, if not broken entirely.
------

If huge swaths of the fanbase don't purchase diddly, and companies can't afford to stay in business, isn't it the companies who have reason to have broken trust with the consumer, and not visa-versa?

KamenRiderFaiz555 wrote:

Quote:
I have a friend who is moving to Japan in a few years. He is doing it to be a teacher. He wants me to come with him so he has at least ONE friend from America, too keep him from feeling too alienated. I told him "we'll see" because I figured I'd wind up not wanting to do it. However, the way things are going in my personal life, in addition to all the sh!t going on with R1 lately, I'm seriously considering it. The state of R1 over the next 3 years WILL have a say in my choice (as much as I hate to admit it).

1. Japans anime industry is in pretty poor shape as well, and likely to get worse with diminished earnings from North America.

2. Japan isn't very hospitable about foreigners moving in. People who are to be English teachers are usually vetted in official programs long before heading over there.

3. Most people on this board know more about anime then most Japanese kids/teens, don't buy into an illusion that Japan is an anime paradise where everyone sits around talking about Bleach and Death Note. Anime is niche there as well (though to a larger relative degree of course), and Japanese at large look down pretty hard on 'Otaku', so with the basic ubiquity of fansubs I'm not sure you would be any happier there then here.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I know firsthand that not being able to buy an entire series is truly aggravating, and I'd also much rather purchase series in their entirety at once than deal with the occasional uncertainty over singles releases. And heck, I'm as big of a dub fan as anyone. I guess the point that I was trying to make is that, given the choice between owning half a series on DVD and not getting any of it at all, I'll gladly choose owning half. What I purchase, I do so because I want the product at the time I purchased it. Hindsight is always 20/20, but I'm not going to second-guess myself over a few disks I may have bought in the past that didn't work out the way I wanted to. (Hell, I worked like mad to buy the rest of the individual Lupin volumes after Geneon ceased distribution, knowing all the while that they only represented half of the whole series.) If I purchased something because I wanted it at the time, and if making that purchase brought me joy in any sense, I consider it money well-spent, and I won't regret having done so.

I'd hate to say this, but most consumers in any market are nowhere near as lenient as you are. Is it a good thing? I don't know. All I know is I see a lot of pissed/saddened off people (not just discouraged, hell I'd be pretty insulted hearing that buying a series half-released would be simply "discouraging" if I wasn't aware that you intended no harm in saying that), and there's plenty more where that came from once the official news reaches the eyes and ears of those who haven't been catching up on current events. Not many customers can say "half is better than nothing" when they could have spent their money somewhere else.
KamenRiderFaiz555

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:

1. Japans anime industry is in pretty poor shape as well, and likely to get worse with diminished earnings from North America.

2. Japan isn't very hospitable about foreigners moving in. People who are to be English teachers are usually vetted in official programs long before heading over there.

3. Most people on this board know more about anime then most Japanese kids/teens, don't buy into an illusion that Japan is an anime paradise where everyone sits around talking about Bleach and Death Note. Anime is niche there as well (though to a larger relative degree of course), and Japanese at large look down pretty hard on 'Otaku', so with the basic ubiquity of fansubs I'm not sure you would be any happier there then here.

I know it wouldn't be a picnic, I don't expect it to be the easiest thing in the world. I know that it will be difficult if I decide to go with him. But I'm willing to try, not for the anime, but because I want a change.
ryoga2pchan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:

This point has been made countless times throughout the thread, and it makes no sense. The market is drying up because not enough people buy releases, so fan's reactions are....to stop buying releases. Yeah, that'll show em'. If a series is canceled mid-way through, it's because no one (relatively) is buying itand to release anymore would lose money needed to shore up other titles/stay in the black. If there isn't enough consumer interest to make a title profitable, that's the companies fault how?

I'm not asking any company to do what's unprofitable to them. I don't feel that they owe me anything. Nor do I feel that I owe them. Im simply stating that at this point I wont invest in unfinished series(again, within reason; Naruto and Bleach just keep gooiinngg, and arent finish in Japan, so I must buy). To me its like buying a book thats half finished. Id rather have never read(seen) it than get my hopes and interest up to have it simply severed. Some people enjoy a series even if its unfinished. I dont. 'Karin', for example, stopped at a crutial point. I'd have rather never bought the series than have it end like that. What Id like is for companies to do what Columbia is doing for the Blood+ release:release as a single for people who might be interested, and as a boxset for those, like myself, who WILL buy it. Maybe companies can offer free downloads of the first few episodes as teasers, as ADV was doing.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
ryoga2pchan wrote:

Quote:
I'm not asking any company to do what's unprofitable to them. I don't feel that they owe me anything. Nor do I feel that I owe them. Im simply stating that at this point I wont invest in unfinished series(again, within reason; Naruto and Bleach just keep gooiinngg, and arent finish in Japan, so I must buy). To me its like buying a book thats half finished. Id rather have never read(seen) it than get my hopes and interest up to have it simply severed. Some people enjoy a series even if its unfinished. I don't. 'Karin', for example, stopped at a crutial point. I'd have rather never bought the series than have it end like that. What Id like is for companies to do what Columbia is doing for the Blood+ release:release as a single for people who might be interested, and as a boxset for those, like myself, who WILL buy it. Maybe companies can offer free downloads of the first few episodes as teasers, as ADV was doing.

I understand the heart of what your saying. Right or wrong, I think consumers have to understand the nature of the beast in this field however. Anime is a niche, import luxury, there's going to be a different spending pattern/expectation then that of a domestic product.

I know in concept what you mean by bringing up the 'Blood+' release, but I don't know if that's a general industry translatable fix. Columbia's got the finances where it doesn't need to recoup what other's do on single releases. $20-30 single releases are what drive the regular R1 companies, which face very expensive logistical costs (licensing, dubbing, etc.). Box sets are usually either a chance to make a little on older releases/series, or a lot of times in today's market a last ditch effort to break even/cover costs. If companies could make money doing just boxes/thinpacks, they would have gone that way by now.

I understand this isn't very intuitive for the consumer, but when your hobby lies in import niches, one can't always put emphasis on 'cheapest-sure completion' and expect the market to stay healthy. Single release purchases are like monetary votes to keep a series going, and just like politics your candidate doesn't always make it to the finishing line.

That's not to say I'd hold it against a person who's decides to see if the whole series will make it out first, I sympathize with that. It's that in the anime market fans have to be willing to spend more money then they would on similar domestic entertainment and take on the risk of some disappointments to keep the wheels chugging, and with the ubiquity of fansubs perhaps that's just not do-able much anymore. That's the way the market goes some times, but I do wish with all this angry gnashing of teeth at R1 companies, fans would be more understanding of the extremely difficult conditions they operate under, with high fixed costs, niche products, and free versions of their wares all over the net.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quote
A lot of people do happen to be aware of what the company has to go through. However, having a simple understanding of what's going on isn't going to undo their losses or ease their distrust in the industry when their own money is involved. I guess people might not be able to undo their losses being angry, but there have been various instances where company decisions in releasing anime/manga have been swayed one way or another by fan anger/sentiments. It isn't something that should be underestimated or simply swept aside, especially in a niche market such as this.
vega427

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quote
Wow....All this really bums me out. There are quite a few titles ADV has put on hiatus that I'm currently buying. As Robert suggests, I'm going to chill and try to remain calm. In the mean time, I'm going to continue to buy these titles as long as they're available. Continuing to buy anime is probaly the best way to stabilize the market. I can understand peoples decision to hold of buying until a series has completely been released, but this deprives the comanies of the needed capital to continue licensing titles for release. To try and put a happy face on this, If the sky has truly fallen at ADV, at least my half-filled Geneon titles will now have several half-filled ADV titles to keep them company. Now,If only I liked to drink........
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:14 am Reply with quote
Oi, I was looking forward to buying Kanon, since the sub group I liked took forever and I never got a chance to download all of it. I sure hope things turn out ok, but I'm not exactly and optimist. I've had a bad feeling about ADV for a while, and I have an obnoxious tendency to be right about things that I don't want to be right about.

Why couldn't it have been Funimation instead!? I don't own a single DVD by them!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 20