• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
According to that interview with the Funimation rep that came out not too long ago, the Japanese were starting to reduce and in some cases outright wave some of those initial costs. I very much agree with most of what you posted regarding the value of the English dub. I honestly don't see the benefit of going sub-only since it only guarentees less sales. Of course, I'm also surprised Bandai Visual actually has customers.

I must admit I did not read that interview. Yes, I know, I'm a bad fan Razz . If that's the case though then that is good news. With the number of titles hitting the market and demand for greater variety increasing the US licensers simply can't afford to meet consumer demand and still afford the fees. Heck, the more they license the more they flood the unstable market which only reduces sales for individual volumes since consumers are only going to buy so many series at a time.

Quote:
(Again, sorry about before. Glad there's no hard feelings.)

Not a problem. I can understand the stress involved with this situation. Especially given the recent events with Geneon as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
There is a problem, but who's to say the problem is the companies? Perhaps it's unreasonable expectations with a large number of consumers that is the problem. Or perhaps even it's just that people are unwilling to recognize a problem because the free anime it offers them is a convenience.

If I had superpowers to make all the people do whatever I want, then sure I'd tell everyone not to pirate, and everything would be good and jolly. But I don't have these superpowers. And neither does anyone else, unfortunately. Consumer/fan behavior is certainly a big part of the problem. But there's no solution to fixing that aspect of the problem. If you think you can fix it by pleading to fans not to pirate, then go ahead. Such ideas are simply stupidity and are doomed to fail.

Since there is no solution to that aspect of the problem, if we want things to work again, our only choice is to re-consider other aspects of the problem, namely the tactics, models, and actions of the companies and the government.

Quote:
It's not the governments responsibility to regulate industry, that method of regulation has proven ineffective in other societies

I would be happy to argue in-depth about why every part of your statement is completely false. There have been governments where over-regulation eventually lead to problems. There have also been governments where under-regulation lead to problems. I won't allow this kind of untrue economic/political statement to go unchallenged. There are many common ideas regarding topics such as free-trade, supply-and-demand, and democracy, etc...which are myths because people do not understand the imperfections, problems, and limitations of such systems and models.

edit: It looks like calawain made some comments about that statement as well.
HaiKeba

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone been to ADVfilms dot com lately? A friend alerted me that only the front (home) page is available. I went there and he's correct. You can't get past the homepage. Anyone know what's up??
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 20 of 20