• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Major (the baseball anime).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakagerrard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Major

Major is a sports anime based on baseball. It follows the life of Goro Honda, from kindergarten to being a professional baseball player, seeking and overcoming tremendous challenges. I think this anime is really good because it shows that there are many lessons in life to be learnt from playing sports, in this case, baseball. As the anime progresses, the players grow stronger. It is interesting to see how they grow. The show has some really funny moments too, like when Goro removed his leg cast and hugged his leg dearly only to find out that it stinks. Haha!

Watching this anime got me interested in baseball and Major gets you hooked on wanting to know just how the story progresses. Its main message? most probably to never give up, cause you never know just how far you can go. Now the anime is on to episode 83, where Goro is in the minor AA league. He realises that one pitch is not enough, and decides to learn a new pitch.

What do you guys think of this anime?
sj21

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quote
Hey, I love baseball and know that Big Windup was liscened but does anybody now if Major! will be liscened? Also is there any opinions on the series about the characters or what happens? I watched a random episode Raw and thought it was really good and its at 104 episodes which i love. Last thing, is season 4 the last season.

Thanks a lot,
sj21
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
There's been no formal announcement about it, but given that it's a sports-themed series (which never do well in the States) and 104 episodes long, I'd say the odds are very slim. The only series that long which have proven to perform even adequately in the States are titles like Naruto, Bleach, and Rumiko Takahashi's stuff. (Inuyasha, Urusei Yatsura, etc.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Merged with old "thread." We can't know for sure about the licensing prospects. See here.
hellfire104

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I have been watching this anime since the first day it started...and man I'll be sad if its over. The ending as of episode 129 is really great! I could see it going either way, the end as of now is solid stuff but there is so much material that could be left of Goro in the major leagues.

Anybody know if theres going to be a 6th season?

Toodles.
Viser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote
Being one of what seems like a handful of anime fans that is absolutely fanatic about baseball (In fact, I'm listening to Baseball tonight podcasts in my I tunes now...Go Dodgers!) I give pretty much all baseball anime/manga a shot, starting with Princess Nine over 6 years ago. (So I've read 4/5ths of mitsuru adachi's work...lol)

I absolutely...LOVE major. This show sold me with its amazing character development and recall the simple purity of my own little league days during the first season. The pacing of this show is nothing short of amazing. The characters have real "weight" to them, and don't have the thin personality that alot of anime characters have nowadays. It is good stuff.
Deafbear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:23 am Reply with quote
Hi,

I watched all of the Major (all the season 1-5). It was great. But I was hoping that there will be next season(6th) soon? I can't wait to watch!

Deafbear
bzuka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:41 am Reply with quote
major was awesome and i can't wait for the following season
-------------------------

love red wine )

Last edited by bzuka on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
Okay, 3 of the last 4 of you aren't discussing. Please discuss the actual series instead of just saying "I like it, I've watched all of it, when will there be more?" It's a general, unwritten rule that we don't keep nagging for continuations. When they decide to make more Major, they'll make it when they feel like it.

I know there haven't been too many posts since the start of this thread, but somebody out there has to have an intelligent or more fervent opinion of this show, right?

I've never seen this, but am interested because it seems like one of those "diamond in the rough" kinda' titles. It's shounen, but doesn't rely on the martial arts or combat angle, a la Hikaru no Go or Yakitate!! Japan. Not to mention the music is composed by one of my favorite, but underworked guys in Noriyuki Asakura, who's work I highly respect for the Tenchuu games and Rurouni Kenshin TV series.

I know how baseball works. But ironically, it's just not one of those sports I can't sit through. Yeah, yeah, it's the former American past time, and I'm sure it's fun when you're actually sitting in the park eating hot dogs and chatting it up with friends, but I'm in Texas. It's too hot for baseball in the day, and I hate the bugs at night (at least the Rangers are only a game and half out of the Wild Card race at this point, which is the best they've been in a while!).

I welcome any good opinions of this series you people can pitch at me. And don't do no stinkin' Hideo Nomo wind up (fudge, that guy has an ugly throw, that's why people hit so many home runs off him).
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I hesitated over watching this series because it's so darn long, but since I'm going through a sports anime phase, I'm going to go ahead and start it. I'll see what I think about it after a few eps.

It's weird, because I dislike watching real baseball or boxing, but I love baseball anime, and Hajime no Ippo is one of my favorite series.
Zopelthe543

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I used to think Baseball was a pretty boring sport and saw nothing interesting about a couple of years ago. For some reason though I couldn't help myself and started watching major. After watching 4 seasons of it I grew to like baseball. The characters are really interesting and once you actually watch all 6 episodes from the first season I'd like to believe most people would get hooked from what drama this anime/manga unleashes onward. Goro (main character) is one the most inspirational anime characters you'll see from a lot of shonen titles next to goku and all, well that's what I'd like to think. You know the whole never give up and stay to your dreams kinda moral. Sure its a simple and overdone in many shonen titles but Major does it pretty well. Also Seeing goro's development as a kid to an adult was really nice to see.

As of now I haven't watched anymore of major because I stopped watching from illegal sites and I'm really sad to let major go. If it ever comes out to the states I'd be an aw. I'm incredibly surprised that Big Windup is coming out. That totally blew my mind and left me screaming like a little school girl. Anyone who's a fan of major I suggest picking up this series. You'll get a lot out of this one too.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping some Major fans can help me as I've started watching season 1 finally:

Is the movie canon or original material? I usually dislike watching original material (like all the Naruto and Bleach movies), as it has nothing to do with the storyline. Is the movie something I should watch or skip? I read that it takes place between season 1 and season 2, but am trying not to read too much on Wiki and such to avoid spoilers.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it so far (up to episode 5), and it's interesting watching an anime that, for now, pays quite a bit attention to the older characters (Goro's dad and teacher). I'm curious to see if the series does continue to follow Honda's career, or if it switches to Goro entirely as Goro grows up.

EDIT: spoiler[WTF, never mind!! (re: Goro's dad; still wondering about the movie) JEEZ. Dammit, I should've known that there can be no such thing as two happy parents. ]

Last edited by kyokun703 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
David.Seth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:47 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I cant be of any help for the movie. I didn't even know there was one. Shocked

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one just getting into this series. I started last month with season 1, watching an episode a night. Well, that was until I realized how much I friggin love this show. And because of that I've marathon-ed it all the way to season 5 (I'm about mid way through). I'm sure that if you like season 1, the other seasons wont disappoint. Well, some people complain that season 4 is the weakest of the bunch... and, yeah, they would be right. But it's still a fun watch, despite having some pacing issues.

To me Major succeeds in that its an exciting sport show, with lots of action and tense games, and yet it also gives time for the characters and their lives/back story. I've only seen 2 other sport anime, Eyeshield 21 and Cross Game, and while both are good, they are much different. Eyeshield (save for 1 or 2 episodes) strictly focuses on football or training for football or wining football or loosing football... Its a great show, but it doesn't offer much else. Cross Game (as of episode 37) focuses more on the characters and their personal lives than on actual games. I love Cross Game so far, but for someone looking for an intense baseball anime, it may not be the best choice. But Major keeps the balance, giving us great characters and lots of gripping baseball action.

After watching these series, I can't help but feel disappointed that they aren't more popular outside of Japan. Granted CR picked up Eyeshield, but I doubt Major or Cross Game will ever get licensed.

edit:
kyokun703 wrote:

EDIT: spoiler[WTF, never mind!! JEEZ. Dammit, I should've known that there can be no such thing as two happy parents.]

Yeah, I was actually a bit shocked by that (its time like these that Im glad I sometimes go into series not knowing a thing about them). What really irks me though is that spoiler[the episode he dies is called "Farwell..." oh thanks guys for telling me exactly what was going to happen that episode before I even saw one second of animation Mad ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
What really irks me though is that spoiler[the episode he dies is called "Farwell..." oh thanks guys for telling me exactly what was going to happen that episode before I even saw one second of animation Mad ]

Lol! Yeah, when I saw that, I was all, spoiler["Welp, so much for that..." It's like that episode of Fushigi Yuugi called "The Death of Nuriko" or something ridiculous like that, where you just kind of throw up your hands and say, "Okay, well I guess I know where this episode is going..."]
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Okay, done with Season One!

The anime really threw me with spoiler[Goro's dad's death], and after that, it got a little slow with the formation of the Mifune Dolphins. It was such a ragtag team that I really didn't have much hope for them and was afraid this was going to be a show where Goro carries the entire team by himself.

However, I was extremely pleased with the way the show portrayed the build up of the team, and the progress they went through. I was especially happy with spoiler[Shimizu, as I was worried that she was going to play the hopeless girl all the way through, and maybe get a lucky catch or two, but she really came through and became quite a decent player. I also liked how strong of a person Komori turned out to be, especially after such a wimpy beginning.]

The games were all very fun to watch, spoiler[especially the last one. That one got some cheers and clapping from me during key plays. ]

And the very last episode... spoiler[well, I admit I cried.]

On to season 2!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2