• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA Picks Up sola Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
It just makes me laugh when a company sells a DVD for typically $20 more than what their competitors are selling at. Although it is somewhat confusing; obviously it's working, otherwise they wouldn't do it. (HINT: STOP BUYING THE HUGELY OVERPRICED DVDS HARDCORE FANS)

Or I might have the shock of reading "Bandai Visual USA files for Bankruptcy" on ANN. Without the shock. Rolling Eyes
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: Sorry-double posted on accident.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
It just makes me laugh when a company sells a DVD for typically $20 more than what their competitors are selling at. Although it is somewhat confusing; obviously it's working, otherwise they wouldn't do it. (HINT: STOP BUYING THE HUGELY OVERPRICED DVDS HARDCORE FANS)

I happen to believe downloaders are killing anime & am firmly in the corner strongly desiring it to stop before they totally kill the North American anime industry. It's not stopping the downloaders, is it?

Since I am morally against downloading my option is pay $165 for Haruka or do without. Obviously I will pay the money because I want the series.
I paid more than I care to think about for CardCaptor Sakura-sub only-in a time when anime wasn't in every store selling dvds. I remember paying over $20 for most of the 18 dvds.
It's still my favorite series. It was worth the money (what, about $400?)
People here insist shojo titles don't sell. Haruka ran 10/04-3/05. No one's busted down any doors to bring it over to the US so I really don't see this as a title anyone else wanted. sola ran last summer. We had all those licensing announcements last year-was sola amongst them?
Or is it a title that would have languished in the ever-growing never-to-see-the-light-of-North-American-shores?

When we get into the never-ending fansub debates, certain downloaders insist what's killed the North American industry is American companies licensing everything & anything & the expense of dubbing every (in the opinion of the posters posting the opinion) unworthy title out there. "The American companies don't need to license everything!" we're told by this segment.
Ok
Bandai Visual is trying to reduce the lag-time the downloaders hate, but also eliminate reverse importation. They're releasing titles with a smaller potential audience, so they have to charge more.
If they put a dub on sola & released it at $30 per dvd, would all the people here whining about their prices buy it to the tune to make the extra cost reasonable? Or would this only sell a few hundred more copies while adding $20,000-$40,000 per ep in dub costs?
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
@CCSYueh
Quote:
I happen to believe downloaders are killing anime & am firmly in the corner strongly desiring it to stop before they totally kill the North American anime industry.

Your position is fine, but let it be known that the opposite may also be true; one who first downloads to see whether or not the potential series is worth the time/$$$ to purchase. It's also debatable that if for some reason, fan subs just suddenly ceased, the industry would not improve.

Quote:
Bandai Visual is trying to reduce the lag-time the downloaders hate, but also eliminate reverse importation. They're releasing titles with a smaller potential audience, so they have to charge more.
If they put a dub on sola & released it at $30 per dvd, would all the people here whining about their prices buy it to the tune to make the extra cost reasonable? Or would this only sell a few hundred more copies while adding $20,000-$40,000 per ep in dub costs?

First, I think you need to check your figures on the $$$ per dub-that may be a little high. I don't mind a sub only DVD because I think the dubs do injustice to the original content. The question is, why do they charge so much for a sub only DVD? If the speed of production is what's increasing that cost, then BV needs to slow down and take their sweet time. I can think of 10 different ways off the top of my head I could better spend the $50 wasted on 3 episodes of sola. Some 26 episode series go for around that price these days... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Kirkdawg on Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
CCS:
Quote:
Maybe they expect higher sales on Haruka because there are shojo harem fans out here who have supported Geneon ($200 per box for Fushigi Yugi for how long? That was $400 for the whole series)

I imagine the people who initially bought FY at that price were the hardcore fans. The shojo fans probably went for CCS.

Quote:
I only do matinees-$5.50-$7 depending on the theater. THe Kensington doesn't do matinees. I paid something like $7 per ticket to see Bebop 4-5 yrs ago.

Mine do have matinees, but $7 is usually the discounted ticket price around here.

Quote:
I don't see Netflix as eating into the theater experience.

Believe me when I say that Netflix is impacting theatrical sales. Less people are attending screenings than in the past, because they can rent that stuff at a better rate than they pay for a seat. In response, the studios are hoping you're stupid enough to take another price-jacking for a 3-d version of the same crap you paid too much for in digital format. They're using people who got suckered into that Hannah Montana thing as justification that the format works, but they'll be really sorry if they dare charge $5 more per ticket for everything else.

Quote:
Isn't it a BIG DEAL title? Not unlike my paying $30 or $35 for M because it's a classic big deal German flick?

You pay that much for M, because Criterion is poor. But even at that rate, it still gives you more content for your money than Freedom.

Quote:
Just as MediaBlasters has stated their support for yaoi titles, Geneon offered shojo titles with a dedication other licensees never did.

Except for FUNimation releasing Kodocha and ADV releasing Sailor Moon...

Quote:
Saiyuki wound down & they replaced it with Shonen Onmyoji & Saiunkoku. They offered us titles we wanted.

They offered titles they thought most people wanted, not just shoujo fans.

Quote:

I thought they were aiming for Geneon's harem fans.

That'd be Galaxy Angel Rune.

Quote:

That's why I'm sitting here with unfinished Kyo Kara Maoh (shojo harem), Saiunkoku (shojo harem), Shonen Onmyoji (shojo Harem) & Hellsing Ultimate (horror) unfinished.

You forgot about Karin, Rozen Maiden, Hana Ukyo Maid Team, Girls Bravo, and DearS.

Quote:
Saiyuki is by an artist who does a lot of yaoi. Fushigi Yugi has several pairings popular with fans (the author liked NakagoXTamahome) & the title itself featured Nuriko chasing after Hotohori.

But those aren't series meant to cater exclusively to yaoi fans.

Quote:
I paid $35 on sale for a pair of Deerstalkers for my teen to wear at work-lasted less than 3 months.
She's been wearing the Sas I paid $100 for myself since last May.

Let's see if it makes it to the next May.

Quote:
Haruka ran 10/04-3/05. No one's busted down any doors to bring it over to the US

That's because it's based on a bunch of dating sims which have never been released here. Though the brief attempt to sell the genre here has failed(*cough* Thousand Arms *cough*), which makes you wonder why BV would bother in the first place.

Quote:
They're releasing titles with a smaller potential audience, so they have to charge more.

If they have to charge more, it should be for something which adds to the market, not just pushes it further on the brink of bankruptcy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8