• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA Picks Up sola Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luffy9000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh that's nice, I can't wait for it.
Heretic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Ugh it's getting increasingly harder for me to ignore the stuff BV is putting out, even if the prices suck. I bit on Gunbuster and Gunbuster 2, now I'll probably plop down for Shigofumi and sola.
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I can't really say on this or True Tears unless I know more about what you do and don't like. What was it about Shuffle and H20 you didn't like?

In my opinion (for Shuffle); the horrible jokes, the tired harem clichés ("Haven't I've seen this situation in an other series?"), the overload of fluff, the contrived storyline and the underdeveloped (considering the amount of individual stories it had to go through) and sometime ridiculous melodramatic second half. The stereotyped characters didn't help either; I wasn't able to care about any of them and I thought they were pretty much soulless (like the whole thing actually).

I think H2O shares some of it's flaws (to a lesser degree), but it's mostly because of some stupid design choices that I didn't liked it, otherwise I would have find it semi-enjoyable.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Sarkozy:
Quote:
They don't want to take on losses(which is understandable), so they don't dub or lessen prices, which has a history of over time, biting a company off the map(i.e. Geneon).

Geneon only slashed prices near the end.

Quote:
If you are selling niche titles like sola, Shigofumi, Haruka and True Tears -- it would be smart to cut your losses - which would be a dub, which costs probably around $10,000-20,000 an episode -- they would need to sell a lot of discs at standard American MSRP of $29.99 and with such niche series as these, they WOULD NOT recoup costs and they would end up just like Geneon, in a crippled, vegetative state.

Then how about licensing titles which have little crossover appeal to begin with, if they're so dub-phobic?

Quote:
BVUSA knows what I want -- I want superb video quality and neat little collectibles, that I can "Ooo.. ahhh..." over.

They don't seem to know I want an uncut Gunbuster if I have to pay Japanese prices for the R1 edition...

Panon:
Quote:
Everything is moe now, and it's destroying anime!

Yep.

john:
Quote:
When was the last time you actually tried to play one of the mega popular games most "moe crap" anime is based on?

Why should you have to play a game in the first place? How about coming up with something which doesn't depend on your knowledge of a particular dating sim? Rolling Eyes

Last edited by GATSU on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Funny thing about the moe topic and the dating game sim idea, no one seemed that bothered with it when they were getting AIR or now Kanon but that is what AIR and Kanon were first based upon, dating sims with at least one moe character involved.

In all the ones I've seen never have I needed to play the game first to enjoy it, more to the contrary I would say non moe, card game type anime to me feel more like advertisement disgused as a show...

Anyway, if they dub this series (and Bandai does dub a few I think) I will get it. I loved a sub I saw a while back and would love to buy this in dub format...

I know others said they don't dub much but they do dub don't they?

Anyway I love this title from the parts of it I have seen and the manga I've seen of it so will be sure to get it whenever it is released.

Last edited by Ryokosha on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
The only time Bandai Visual USA ever dubbed the series was when they first released those Patlabor movies. Now at this present time it's mostly over-priced sub-only DVDs, and re-releases of older properties on HD/Blu-ray that already had an existing dub.
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
That is too bad, I will still likely get the series from them but ... I would still love to see a dub...

Wait weren't they involved with Onegai Teacher and Love Hina? I seem to remember their name being all over that when the DVD was first in the player? Those were dubbed...
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
You're thinking of Bandai Entertainment which is "different" from Bandai Visual.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Sarkozy wrote:
BVUSA is targeting 3 consumer groups it seems -- the importer, the audio/videophiles and the collector. BVUSA knows what I want -- I want superb video quality and neat little collectibles, that I can "Ooo.. ahhh..." over. Geneon, ADV and BEUSA -- but now also BVUSA, have given me A-quality video/audio in the past. I love that. It's just the best experience in the world to me. I'm not an importer, so I can't speak there.

I'll gladly defend BVUSA. I will gladly support sola and Shigofumi. I'll probably even support True Tears eventually.

Like you can't buy a multi-region DVD player from J-List (and wherever) and buy anime DVDs straight from Japan.

All arguments over BVUSA and the idea of "quality" aside; I have tears in my eyes when I put "BVUSA" and "burn to the ground" in hte same sentence. Over a decade of all that hard work despite the complaints; going backwards and down the drain.
Heretic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm slow to the game but do a majority of R2 DVDs have English subs?
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
You're thinking of Bandai Entertainment which is "different" from Bandai Visual.
Oh okay one of those same company umbrella different branches type of deal, okay I see know even if I don't understand why they would do that and have one branch that does no dubbing and one that does some dubbing... Oh well still hope this one gets bumped to the dub side.

As to R2, doesn't it depend, some I know have it but I don't think all do.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:

Like you can't buy a multi-region DVD player from J-List (and wherever) and buy anime DVDs straight from Japan.

Which are even more expensive than BVUSA's releases, and don't contain subtitles.

I find it rather annoying that people whine about the R1 industry falling apart, then refuse to buy DVDs just because they have a grudge against the company. If you can't afford the DVDs, I understand, but please don't moan and groan about how BVUSA is 'teh evil' every time they licensed something. We heard you the first ten times. Rolling Eyes
grgspunk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
Hmm... I might try this one out. Although it might take a while before I manage to get all the volumes with their price range. At least they haven't shown signs of bailing out out halfway through a series.

Panon wrote:
Everything is moe now, and it's destroying anime!

To quote Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid 2:

Not happy about it? Get over it.

(It's amazing how much wisdom a gar character can possess)
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
I find it rather annoying that people whine about the R1 industry falling apart, then refuse to buy DVDs just because they have a grudge against the company. If you can't afford the DVDs, I understand, but please don't moan and groan about how BVUSA is 'teh evil' every time they licensed something. We heard you the first ten times. Rolling Eyes

Maybe we just don't like BV business model? It's not that most of us can't afford what BV puts out, it's rather why buy what they release when you can look around and get 6-10 series for what they charge for just 1?

I'd support every other licensing company through hell and back (ADV and Mediablasters especially), but I would not give BV a dime.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:18 am Reply with quote
I think carving the R1 market into different categories is what's hurting it. I'm not saying each anime title should be for everyone, but (for example) prioritizing moe and game players serves to alienate the rest of us. This obsession with the next big thing shouldn't throw the rest of us out of the loop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8