• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA Picks Up sola Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:40 am Reply with quote
I will probably buy Sola since I want that series. There isn't a lot of series I want from BV anyways. I just wish they dub it though.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:54 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I thought they were a "quality" company, but all they license lately is moe. I want Mind Game or Angel's Egg, not this crap.

Shigofumi, True Tears and Sola are moe? Are you retarded?
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:15 am Reply with quote
I like how there is this huge part of the anime community that is so ignorant as to label everything with a group of girls and a guy as the main character (or even anything with a girl in it) as moe. If the basic definition of moe is a character that I feel protective of, then the vast majority of the community must have a little sister complex, because none of these shows gives off that kind of vibe to me. Methinks this is a problem with the viewers, not the material being viewed.

Or it could be everyone mislabeling drama and romance animes as moe, simply because they have nothing better to do, and all they really want are more action shows. (ala, the GAR-ness that was TTGL.)

As for sola and BVUSA, again, they've doomed a series I'd been interested in buying to the "will-never-buy" list. And I'm past the point where I wish BV would just die. Now I just hope they stop licensing series I'm interested in, because there's no way I'm paying their ridiculous prices, when I can get 2-3 complete series from other companies for the same price and they're missing the dub. As for transfer quality, you can only get so much quality onto a DVD... if there are 2 eps instead of 4, then you get about double the quality, but when I'm watching 704x400 res anime on my 720p tv, it's gonna look like crap no matter what, so video quality means nothing to me. Unless they're releasing it on Blu-Ray, I want bang for my buck, not less anime.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:54 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
As for transfer quality, you can only get so much quality onto a DVD... if there are 2 eps instead of 4, then you get about double the quality, but when I'm watching 704x400 res anime on my 720p tv, it's gonna look like crap no matter what, so video quality means nothing to me. Unless they're releasing it on Blu-Ray, I want bang for my buck, not less anime.

Just to clarify a slight misstatement here, you can't get twice the quality with 2 eps per DVD instead of 4, because DVDs have a fixed maximum bitrate.

The maximum bitrate for DVDs is 9.8 Mb/s, including both video and audio. Assuming you max out continuously that equals 60.89 minutes of material. But that's a theoretical maximum, and the way that mpeg works it'd be pretty hard to get an encode that really maximized the bitrate the entire time, plus many crappier DVD players can't really handle a dvd like that. Most people recommend staying under 7 Mb/s, which means you could fit 85 minutes at maximum.

So basically, you can get better quality with 2 episodes than 4, but not double the bitrate, not even close.

Plus, if you use a dual layer dvd for the 4 episodes, than you'd see no improvement at all for the video.

BV's video is better, not just because they put less episodes on discs, but because they know how to make quality mpeg-2 encodes.
Leebo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Or it could be everyone mislabeling drama and romance animes as moe, simply because they have nothing better to do, and all they really want are more action shows. (ala, the GAR-ness that was TTGL.)

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
Well, here are the specs.

http://animeondvd.com/forum/showpost.php?post/649892/

Quote:
sola Disc Specs & Features:
• Color / MPEG-2 / Region 1 / DVD-9 / NTSC / 16:9 anamorphic / CSS
• Japanese Language Audio (Japanese Linear PCM (Stereo)) with Optional
English Subtitles
• 8-Page Full-Color Booklet and Original Postcard Set (4 Postcards per Volume)
• Exclusive Gift (TBD) for those who purchase from dot-anime.us
Title: sola Vol. 1
Format: DVD
Catalog #: BUDH0167
UPC #: 8 58604 00167 7
Street Date: June 10, 2008
SRP: $49.99

In order to enjoy the awesomeness of Matsuri, you have to chalk up $50! It's typical pricing as expected.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Sola is actually pretty decent. You look at it and you think it's going to be another formulaic dating sim/visual novel, but it's actually more of a mystery/supernatural series then a haremish romance. I'm not saying it's by any means spectactular, but that it stands out from the pack. Initially I was also skeptical it was going to be another Key style story (Lots of comedy in the beginning then lots of overwrought drama near the end, but never a satisfying mixture), which I'm sick to death of by now, but it's not quite so typical because the creator of Sola is the guy known for the more reserved scenarios in Key's games and not the overkill one.

It's nothing like your typical moe anime and actually quite unique, believe me, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have it's weakness.

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:

I'd support every other licensing company through hell and back (ADV and Mediablasters especially), but I would not give BV a dime.

Then you are not their target audience.
I still have to place my pre-orders for the last 2 Haruka DVDs-the others are all pre-ordered & in my bin at Right Stuf-came out to $18-$19 per dvd with Got Anime monthly coupons & 10% discount. GRW 4 & 5 are pre-ordered also (around $33 each)

Whine, whine, whine.

Did you think MAYBE the reason they're licensing so many titles YOU personally like is your tastes aren't mainstream enough for these titles to be picked up by people like Funi or Bandai? One minute people are dismissing Geneon as getting what they deserved for licensing minimal audience titles, then you're screaming BV is licensing those same titles.
You like an obscure thing, you're going to pay more for it. Steak costs more than hamburger. Want that fruit organic? Pay more.
ADV might have gone for something like sola, but they seem to have dug themselves into a bit of a hole & have to crawl out, so I don't see them going fo all the jiggle titles that come out of the pike. Hopefully they'll stablilize & get us the stuff they have already licensed (FROGS! Dammit, I want my frogs.....), but with them wobbly right now, your moe/whatever you want to call sola will probably not be coming over as much(Geneon did a lot of jiggle/harem also)
Maybe that's why you're all grumbly-going thru withdrawal?
So maybe you should support the people who bring you the things you want.
Yeah, they're pricey. Maybe you have to pick & choose. When I go to the store with only $10, I obviously have to just buy tonight's dinner instead of shopping for the week. If the series you love is $35 a pop, you maybe will have to skip a lesser title, particularly if you know said title will be on sale later. I was planning to order the Gundam Seed boxes for $27 in the current Right Stuf sale, but my teen had some sudden expenses to the tune of $100 I need to fork out in the same time, so Mu's going to have to wait for the next Bandai sale at RS. I haven't seen a sale on BV material, so I have to assume it's cheaper to pre-order with coupons/Got anime than wait on BV products, so they take priority over something I can get in 9 months or so at the next Bandai sale.
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is AWESOME
loplop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I will not be buying this for the simple fact it is way over priced. The same pricing model that works for Japan will not work here. $250US for a 13(+2)episode anime, no thank you . . .
Kyouki-Kamikawa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
well, i guess they realized no dub voice could be as good as the japanese cast....what a rip off price ...then again..Matsuri is priceless.

and to those that think sola sucks, it won one of japan's best anime of 2007 awards , with 2 million votes
Heretic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Mmm, not saying the pricing isn't bad (if expected) but who really pays full retail price anymore? If you do for any DVD, you are pretty much getting ripped off.

I'll be buying this, it's not like I'm buying much these days anyway with a number of my series delayed or in limbo.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I liked this series, but $50 for each DVD is definetely not even close worth it at all. These DVDs should be no more than $15 a piece and even then that's stretching it when compared to what other DVDs are being sold at.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
You know....I've always been against English dubs. I thought that without them, they could release the series faster, and it seems that it's true. I also thought that, since they don't have a dub, the price would be lower, and that is true also.........................wait.......50$!!?? What the hell???? Am I reading this wrong? 2 episodes with sub only for 50$.............ARE YOU FU*&ING WITH ME?

Jokes aside......they have droped the dub and incresed the speed......AND THE PRICE!!! That's like the total oposite to what I was thinking would happen without the dub
everybody_loves_hypnotoad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
$50. 3 episodes. No sub.

$250. On a moe anime series.

They must think we're as crazy as the otaku that live in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8