• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mao-Chan Slammed.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookami

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand what you guys expect out of an animie aimed at little kids. I mean I would think if you wanted something deep you would go for something not for kids. Not that I am going to say the show is good, I did watch it because I'm a fan of Ken Akamatsu, but if you don't expect much of anything you can enjoy it somewhat at face value.

Also I don't see how you can blame love hina for tenchi's downfall. I think it was more of a case of shows just get old and fans want new stuff just like how love hina isn't as popular anymore.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but since it's not advertised nor shown on TV for kids...

What little kid do you know that regularly has the money to buy DVD's at $30 a pop?

And can his/her parents adopt me?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Love Hina came in at the weakest time in the Tenchi franchise's history (after the release of the second TV series and the third movie, both of which were radically different from standard Tenchi-fare) and captivated the less motivated viewing fanbase with a series that had more t*ts and less thoughts.

The viewership that would have been there for the series triumphant return to form this year was scattered and the Tenchi franchise was blown into the wind like so much dust.

If it had been another old standby lke Oh My Goddess or a Rumiko Takahashi series that did it, I'd be less perturbed. But the fact that idiocy like Love Hina stole Tenchi's thunder is something I cannot forgive.
ookami

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Yes, but since it's not advertised nor shown on TV for kids...

What little kid do you know that regularly has the money to buy DVD's at $30 a pop?

And can his/her parents adopt me?

Probably the same ones that get their parents to buy all those disney dvds?

Maybe they are advertising it to a older crowd here because anime is more popular with them but its just going to result in poor sales I think. Btw I was refering to the target audience in Japan.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:55 pm Reply with quote
By your statments there, one might infer that Tenchi's production values weren't strong enough, and again, since you mentioned the fanbase, doesn't that justify my point more?

Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Some of the upcoming reviews are almost as harsh. I've had to watch a lot of junk lately. Thanks for reading, everyone... here's hoping Chris sends me something good to review next time!

I can't wait to read your Azumanga Daioh review (if indeed, you did review it). If I recall correctly, that's one of your most hated series, and even though I myself am a die-hard fan, both your writing style and the more uptight fanboys' reactions will make AzuDai getting verbally torn apart quite the enjoyable experience. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Nagisa, but the odds that Chris will let me review Azumanga Daioh are roughly that of a snowball in hell.
space clam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Mao-chan haunts my nightmares.

Some of the upcoming reviews are almost as harsh. I've had to watch a lot of junk lately. Thanks for reading, everyone... here's hoping Chris sends me something good to review next time!

-Z

Man, Zac, you are definitely one of the funniest people I know. It's like when Game Informer comes; I'm more excited to read the bad reviews, because they're always the funniest. Very Happy Now whenever I think of Ken Akumatsu, I'll think of him dangling a steak with cheese and bacon in front of me. Then I'll punch him in the stomach, take his food, and run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Space Clam. Being told you're funny is, IMHO, the highest possible compliment.

-Z
Delthayre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm not as awed by the negativity as most, but I'm hard to shock, but you did give this as thorough a drubbing as any I've seen and I even though I haven't seen the series, I had very bad feelings looking at the cover.

Why in the name of something that doesn't make my skin crawl is there a screwed-up tank on the cover? And why is the title character, I guess that's who she is, dressed like a drum majorette for the Pastel High-School Marching Insipidity Band?

That, and the whole marketting of this to and older, though a lot seem to be regressing to an unhealthy degree, crowd irks me. It's fine and I dare say admirable for a kids show to be able to entertain adults (The Fairly OddParents comes to mind), but a kids show that makes no pretense or effort toward entertaining anything but the rather/very young isn't something that works on two levels. It's something that makes the older audience drop a level.

And I always like it when a reviewer is willing to be mean.

Zac wrote:
Thank you, Space Clam. Being told you're funny is, IMHO, the highest possible compliment.

I agree with Space Clam's assesment of Zac and Zac's assesment of the compliment.
Stueypark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Even though I'm not exactly a fan of the series and wasn't offended by the review, I did think it was a poor display of journalism.

Railing against poor stories and such is fine, but throwing insults against anyone who happens to like the show "an insipid exercise in stupidity for fans with horrifically low standards" and then covering himself against comments with statements like "Anyone who criticizes these shows for being lame and obnoxious are attacked and characterized as joyless sticks in the mud who can’t appreciate something for what it’s supposed to be" is simply poor writing. It would be like a sports writer saying anyone who roots for the Cubs must be a simpleton.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Stueypark wrote:
It would be like a sports writer saying anyone who roots for the Cubs must be a simpleton.

Funny thing is, I've heard sportscasters do this. All the time. And without the wit and humour that Zac brings along with it.

Granted, I was a bit miffed by Zac's "anyone that likes AzuDai is a complete pedophile without an ounce of intelligence or taste" remark. But that was ages ago and I've since gotten over it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Stueypark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:13 pm Reply with quote
well, being an Orioles and Redskins fan I don't tend to read sports writing too much, I can tell how much they stink without reading about it.

I generally wouldn't approve of any type of reviewer: food, sports, films, etc. railing against people for liking something. Heck, the anime community as a whole has a very poor ability to take criticism but is great at dishing it out for some reason.

EDIT: The obvious exception being people who review doing that as a gimmick, like the movie reviewer, Mr. Cranky.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:08 pm Reply with quote
"I did think it was a poor display of journalism."

Here we go again. I think every 2 or 3 reviews someone comes out of the woodwork and tells me i'm a bad writer/journalist/editor/cook or what-have-you because I said the word 'fan' in the article.

I like to put things in to context. The show appeals to a specific type of fan; a fan who, in my opinion, has lowered his or her standards to the point where they'll accept trash like Mao-chan. It's a lamentable state, and I point that out. I don't think I really singled out or 'railed' on any specific person, just a general group attitude. Film critics do this all the time; question the audience and the state of pop culture when analyzing the conditions that would produce such a film.

I also tend to think that anyone who comes in and stomps their feet and cries "bad journalism!" usually has made up his or her own rules about what "good" journalism is, and then holds the writer to those totally fabricated standards. Telling a writer that they're a bad writer or journalist is *really* insulting and an extremely serious complaint, and I take it very seriously.

I mean, I don't come down to where you work and smack the deep fryer out of your hand.

-Zac
Stueypark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Auuugh, I've been impaled on the irony, help!
Ken Akamatsu dosen't come to where you work either, does he?

And being a Health Department employee I can understand the assumption that I'd be inspecting the deep fat fryer but my area actually happens to be Tidal watersheds.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4