• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone know what could have happened to this anime DVD?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TronBonne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
Weird title, I know...but seeing that other Geneon topic reminded me that I have a strange DVD in my collection. :S

Anyway, I bought this a few years ago from Amazon.ca. Not from a third party seller, but directly from Amazon.ca, so it shouldn't be a bootleg. Here is my DVD of Kyo Kara Maoh season 2 part 4...
Looks a little weird, doesn't it? (It doesn't match any of the other KKM DVDs).

Comparison of other DVD from series

I actually rebought the volume elsewhere and ended up with a normal looking DVD *phew*. Any ideas? Is this just normal, and how some of Geneon's DVD's looked? I believe I asked this before years ago on a different forum, but from what I remember, no one knew what was up with it.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:43 am Reply with quote
Merely a suggestion rather than an informed answer, but could the disc be a promotional one not intended for sale? (I know those generally have "NOT FOR SALE" on them, but otherwise they are very plain, like yours.) Confused

I think I have a (Geneon) Master Keaton disc that is a dead ringer for your except that it does have the "NOT FOR SALE" on it. If I had it with me, I'd post a picture.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
With how bare-bones it looks, it reminds me of CDs that would get sent out to radio stations. I'm wondering if it also might be a screener DVD from a convention?

I thought that it might've been a Marketplace item that was listed as "Fulfilled by Amazon", and therefore went out as an order off the main page.

Talked to a friend of mine who works for Amazon (on the programming side), and he wasn't sure if the above could happen or not, but his recommendation is to contact Amazon customer support. He says "they're amazing and give ridiculous amounts of refunds" and "the official support policy is to handle every incoming request as if it's from a family member."

So if you show them the DVD, you might be able to get a new one that's part of the regular set. Might want to wait until we get an image of the "standard" DVD, first, though, to show them. I'm assuming the outside of the case looks the same as the other cases in the set?
TronBonne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Merely a suggestion rather than an informed answer, but could the disc be a promotional one not intended for sale? (I know those generally have "NOT FOR SALE" on them, but otherwise they are very plain, like yours.) Confused

I think I have a (Geneon) Master Keaton disc that is a dead ringer for your except that it does have the "NOT FOR SALE" on it. If I had it with me, I'd post a picture.

Hmm…..that may be a possibility. :S

Dessa wrote:
With how bare-bones it looks, it reminds me of CDs that would get sent out to radio stations. I'm wondering if it also might be a screener DVD from a convention?

:O Another possibility!

Quote:
I thought that it might've been a Marketplace item that was listed as "Fulfilled by Amazon", and therefore went out as an order off the main page.

I’m pretty sure Amazon.ca does not have “fulfilled by Amazon”, especially not back in 2008 anyway.

Quote:
Talked to a friend of mine who works for Amazon (on the programming side), and he wasn't sure if the above could happen or not, but his recommendation is to contact Amazon customer support. He says "they're amazing and give ridiculous amounts of refunds" and "the official support policy is to handle every incoming request as if it's from a family member."

Oh I’m not interested in a refund. I bought this in 2008! I already bought a replacement at a different store and got a normal looking DVD. I’m just trying to solve the mystery of what this is xD

Quote:
So if you show them the DVD, you might be able to get a new one that's part of the regular set. Might want to wait until we get an image of the "standard" DVD, first, though, to show them. I'm assuming the outside of the case looks the same as the other cases in the set?

The cases were slightly different. It had a black case instead of a clear case, and it was broken in the spine.

EDIT: More pictures!
Weird dvd vs normal DVD (Season 2 part 4)

Case contents

(The weird one actually has the same picture on the back of the slip cover as well)
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Aaa, I missed the "several years ago" (and so did he, when I linked it to him).
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what Geneon's process for applying art to DVDs is, but I wonder if you got one that somehow got a general identifying mark but missed the actual art application. (I have a Get Backers DVD that missed the art- completely silver on both sides.)

I'd check the data side, in the space around the center hole. There's usually serial numbers there, you can see if they match the normal disc. If you have a local con or anime club, see if they can get in touch with someone who set up viewings 5ish years ago, to see if they can offer insight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1