• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Adds Hayate Anime, TokiKake Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
due to all the japanese references, and old school anime references..they'll either ruin Hayate by trying to "Americanize" it, or they'll most likely just plain remove most of the references....

Not like any English VA could play a good Nagi anyway...
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
due to all the japanese references, and old school anime references..they'll either ruin Hayate by trying to "Americanize" it, or they'll most likely just plain remove most of the references....

Not like any English VA could play a good Nagi anyway...

Or they won't because they know fans would pitch a fit and that would be bad. When was the last time you saw an anime "Americanized"?
Punynari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
Bandai is doing good with Lucky Star so far with all the obscure references and provides a guide with each dvd so Westerners don't get lost. Lets hope they do that with Hayate as well.

I just finished this series a few days ago actually. It was hilarious but I would deffinetly like a guide to all those references. Most went over my head.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
the_seventh_l wrote:
So, now that there's going to be two different versions of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time manga out in the market . . . anyone know which is the better one? Or is it too soon? Surprised

First things first .... Bandai does manga (outside of Eureka pack-ins) now? Hmm, also has Tombraider and Witchblade. Learn something new every day.
Katsu Koneko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:18 am Reply with quote
:O Whoa. Never thought bandai would get Hayate.

I never expected Hayate would be licensed so soon. xD
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:18 am Reply with quote
ShugoYotsuba wrote:
RadicaLElly wrote:
ShugoYotsuba wrote:
Thank you Bandai, at least VIZ Media didn't get their filthy hands on Hayate the Combat Butler , God knows what the heck they would've done to it (probably like Crayon Shin-chan's dub) !!!

Erm... Crayon Shin-Chan was Funimation, not Viz. ^^;;;

I know that, I was just sying that how VIZ Media would probably handle it in a fashion similar to Crayon Shin-chan

Shin-chan is a unique situation. In order for Funimation to afford it, Cartoon Network itself had an active hand in acquiring it. That means Shin-chan's fate was pre-determined to be molded to where it fits on CN (in this case, Adult Swim). There's no hint that it's a similar case with Hayate.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:58 am Reply with quote
Akari-chan wrote:
I am really happy that Bandai got Hayate no Gotoku! Very Happy They were actually the main company that I wanted to license it. I hope that they release special editions of it and that they get the character albums too. I would really like to have all of the Hayate no Gotoku! character albums. I already have all of the Haruhi character albums that Bandai released and I am collecting the Lucky Star character albums as well. If Bandai releases the Hayate character albums I will get those too. Wink This AX is making me one happy girl!

I definitely agree with you about Bandai releasing the Hayate no Gotoku! (Hayate the Combat Butler) character CDs domestically in North America.

Japanese fans describe Hayate no Gotoku! as being very much a parody anime. I particularly enjoy the numerous Hayate parodies of voice acting roles in other anime and whatnot done by a large number of the Japanese voice actors (seiyuu) who perform major, supporting and guest roles in the Hayate anime.

According to the Hayate no Gotoku! creator himself, manga artist Kenjirou Hata was asked back in 2006 which voice actors fit the images of his characters in Hayate. Hata wrote down Ryouko Shiraishi as Hayate Ayasaki, Rie Kugimiya as Nagi Sanzenin, Rie Tanaka as Maria, and Shizuka Itou as Hinagiku Katsura.

The Hayate no Gotoku! animation staff cast Hata's voice actor choices to play these four characters.

In Chapter 156 of the Hayate no Gotoku! manga, Kenjiro Hata later went on to parody a character from another anime performed by Maria's voice actress Rie Tanaka, Suigintou in Rozen Maiden. Maria says, "Junk ni shimasu yo" (I'll turn you into junk!"). This is Maria's version of Suigintou's trademark phrase from the Rozen Maiden anime series and the Sugintou no Koyoi mo Ennu~i Web Radio CDs, "Junk ni shite ageru(wa)!!" ("I'll turn you into junk!!").
CakeStealer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
ALL RIGHT! Very Happy
I'm glad Hayate is coming to the USA! However, I didn't expect Bandai to pick it up... Oh well. Wink
Mevious

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote
Magari-Yari wrote:
Bandai's got Hayate huh? Hm, interesting.

Okay! Time to predict VAs people! (Maybe) Say, what are the chances that Hayate will actually be played by a guy? Hopefully it will be a girl, cause I just have a hard time thinking of that outcome actually...

My ideal would be something like:

Hayate: Brianne Siddal (although, maybe her voice would be better for Wataru...)
Nagi: Kari Wahlgren
Maria: Bridget Hoffman
Isumi: Karen Strassman
Sakuya: Kate Higgins (she did such a good job as Nanako-sensei in Lucky Star)
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
**dances for joy**

Hayate is, by far, the funniest anime I've ever had the pleasure of watching! I am so glad to see it get licensed here in the states!
erod24

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
i hope the R1 DVD dont have the over the top TV Tokyo censoring. Its hard to say with Bandai since its keeping the censoring and beeping in the Lucky Star DVD
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
erod24 wrote:
i hope the R1 DVD don't have the over the top TV Tokyo censoring. Its hard to say with Bandai since its keeping the censoring and beeping in the Lucky Star DVD

Actually the beeps and censors were kept on the R2 DVD's for Lucky Star, and hopefully they do get the DVD version, instead of the crappy TV Tokyo version, it was a bad idea to give it to TV Tokyo, they have horrible censorship standards, I mean look what they did to Air Gear, and many others when they were on TV, thank God we got Air Gear uncensored.
puffy_flower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Surprised
Why is it that every time I ignore this website for just a day or so, one of my favorite series gets licensed?
First D.Gray-man...now Hayate...I'm gonna be poor when they start selling this stuff! =D Poor, but happy.

I agree with the person that said they're hoping for the character CDs.
They had a lot of references to the the character CDs in the anime...so that would just be awful if you couldn't buy them too!
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
ShugoYotsuba wrote:
erod24 wrote:
i hope the R1 DVD don't have the over the top TV Tokyo censoring. Its hard to say with Bandai since its keeping the censoring and beeping in the Lucky Star DVD

Actually the beeps and censors were kept on the R2 DVD's for Lucky Star, and hopefully they do get the DVD version, instead of the crappy TV Tokyo version, it was a bad idea to give it to TV Tokyo, they have horrible censorship standards, I mean look what they did to Air Gear, and many others when they were on TV, thank God we got Air Gear uncensored.

I was actually laughing my ass off at the TV Tokyo censorship! It brought in a lot more comedic moments than censorship usually should.

On the Hayate DVDs in Japan they have both the censored and uncensored versions of the episodes, so maybe we'll luck out and get both over here, too.
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
Magari-Yari wrote:
Bandai's got Hayate huh? Hm, interesting.

Okay! Time to predict VAs people! (Maybe) Say, what are the chances that Hayate will actually be played by a guy? Hopefully it will be a girl, cause I just have a hard time thinking of that outcome actually...

I did a whole video on VEOH based on that
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v14809481nZsdbs4Y?c=dragon6888
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3