• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nodame Cantabile: Paris (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Nodame Cantabile: Paris

Whoohoo, I wanted to start this thread. I'm very pleased they're continuing this fun and often heartwarming series, and hopefully the romance will flourish a little. I was a bit nervous when the air date was pushed back from the 3rd of October to the 9th, and we still don't have any episode titles. Still, what else is there to say? There will be more intense pressure on both Chiaki and Nodame in a more professional world, and more of Nodame's shenanigans I'm sure.
Aikoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to the second season as well. I haven't been able to read the manga because it's hard to find the graphic novels where I live (though I am going to consider ordering them online soon instead), which made finishing both the anime and the drama twice as depressing for me because I haven't had anything else Nodame to tide me over. Having just been to France this August, and to Paris no less, I am twice as psyched for this series than I was back when it was first announced in May because I can relate to the story even more now.

I don't see any episode titles listed on the official Web site other than "Leçon 1", but it does look like there's a small synopsis of the first episode there under the "Story" section.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
episode 1:

Very good. The drawings of Nodame in particular scared me a little, but hopefully they'll correct themselves as time goes on.

Lots of humor in this one, and a nice scene set-up. The scene in the restaurant was hilarious with Nodame saying spoiler[Help! He's raping me!]. I'm a bit confused as to why Chiaki spoiler[denied them being together to Tanya at the end of the episode when he was introduced as Nodame's sweetheart.]

Nodame really stuck it to him, though, about how he cowered on the plane and then acted rudely toward her as soon as they landed. Good girl, Nodame! Chiaki is a lot better than he was at the beginning of season 1.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1 was quite fun. Chiaki and Nodame still have their character quirks shown in hilarious fashion with their interactions with the French man and the Russian gal searching for a lover (can't remember the names of both characters at the moment. Nodame spoiler[learning French off a dub of a children's anime] had me rolling on the floor, especially as it spoiler[crushed the otaku fandom of the French man.] Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote
I just watched this episode and it had me laughing out loud a couple of times. Truth be told, I'm just happy to see Chiaki and Nodame again, I missed them. ^^

I thought one of the best parts of the show was towards the end spoiler[when Tanya's shoddy piano playing awoke the demon that is a displeased Chiaki; with piano playing like that, she's no rival for Nodame Laughing]

What did everyone think of the OP and ED?
For me, the OP song itself seemed really like it was trying too hard to sound romantic and uplifting; it mostly just put me in mind of cheesy soap operas. The cut-outs didn't really do it for me either, they put me in mind of olde children's animations like Mr. Benn and, more particularly, Paddington Bear.
Not that Mr. Benn or Mr. Bear are bad, but it doesn't fit Nodame Cantible too well. Wink

The ED was quite nice but pretty typical apart for the fact that it's sung in French. I've never been much a fan of the slideshow format of OP/EDs, so this isn't really a rewatcher/relistener for me.

I kind of miss the cute, colourful OPs/EDs from the first series, even if I am now spared from the spinning, untextured CG instruments; having said that though, it took a while for those OPs/EDs to grow on me... so maybe I'll end up liking these new ones too? (I can't see that happening though).
I even made a wallpaper for the last series. Laughing
abynormal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:

What did everyone think of the OP and ED?
For me, the OP song itself seemed really like it was trying too hard to sound romantic and uplifting; it mostly just put me in mind of cheesy soap operas.

I rather enjoyed the ED. French song is quite appropriate for the series' new setting.

However, I wasn't so taken with the OP. Suemitsu's energetic and addictive Allegro Cantabile was hard to beat, and I was hoping they'd return for Pari Hen.

Oh well. The episode itself was a pleasure to watch. spoiler[I get the feeling the series is gunning for a full on love polygon, judging by the opening animation. Nodame trying out her French in the restaurant and learning it by watching a dub of Purigorota left me in stitches!] Nodame Cantabile is back with a vengeance!

One thing I am really glad to see is they're animating the conducting this time around. The energy coming from the conductor's movements during a concert was one of the things I missed in the first series, and one of the reasons I consider the live action drama slightly better than the anime.
Olliff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I didn't care much for the new OP. It seemed a bit too stereotypically sappy and shojo-like. I know that this is demographic, but it just seemed overdone, forced and bit too lovey dovey for this show. This show is slice of show first and romance show second. Then again, it could be that the first OP set my expectations unrealistically high.

The ED was interesting. I haven't decided if like it yet. The French is an interesting twist, but it seems to lack the spark found in the OP of the first season.

Overall, the first episode was very enjoyable . Like always, Nodame's character is a pleasure to watch I particularly liked the incident in the French restaurant. It was both unpredictable while predictably Nodame-esque at the same time. This episode seemed to focus more on the slice of life aspect of the show than the music part. I actually don't mind this at all. Personally, what makes the show is the interactions between Nodame and Chiaki. The music is just the icing on the cake.

I like the two new characters, Tanya and Frank. Both characters seem to have a lot of potential. However, their introduction also signals a likely development of multiple love triangles -- something I hope doesn't steal away too much focus away from developing the relationship between Chiaki and Nodame.
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like the new OP on first viewing, but the second time around it kind of grew on me. I thought the visuals during the opening were unique and fun. I tend not to get too hung up when sequels are different in that way, though Smile

The episode, of course, was good. The mood and stylings carry over quite well from season one, and I'm liking the new characters so far.

Right now it's my favorite show this season (though I've only really watched a couple of things so far).
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
The OP is the secondary theme from Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto, 3rd movement. Of course it's going to sound cheesy and sappy because Rach always wrote like that Wink

However I do blame the boy-band arrangement as well, and would like to add to the "I miss Suemitsu why didn't they bring him back" contingent.

Personally I find the animation in the OP and ED sequences quite stylish and modern.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I've been experiencing the series through the manga, so this is my first real experience with the anime version.

Chiaki sounds way better than I imagined in my head while I was reading the manga, besides Daigoji Gai and Kyle from the Lunar video game, this is my favorite role of Tomokazu Seki. Nodame's voice sounds different from what I imagined, but Kawasumi's performance rendered it quite effective and easy to get used to.

The episode was quite hilarious and it's nice to see that they've managed to carry over the characters' quirkness and the mood of the series to the anime, I'm now all the more encouraged to go back and watch the first season Wink
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
episode 2

Wow, I can't believe how much I missed this show. It is focusing a lot on Chiaki now, which is good, but Nodame's ability to surprise and move people with her piano-playing has always been my favorite part of the show, and I hope she gets some focus next. That scene where Nodame spoiler[is asking Chiaki to choose her lingerie was another classically hilarious moment. Also their hug at the end was touching--I hope we get more stuff like that!].

The OP's song is really annoying, but to balance it out, the ED is really catchy and cool.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Wow, I can't believe how much I missed this show. It is focusing a lot on Chiaki now, which is good, but Nodame's ability to surprise and move people with her piano-playing has always been my favorite part of the show, and I hope she gets some focus next. That scene where Nodame spoiler[is asking Chiaki to choose her lingerie was another classically hilarious moment. Also their hug at the end was touching--I hope we get more stuff like that!].

The OP's song is really annoying, but to balance it out, the ED is really catchy and cool.

I completely agree with you on everything you've said so far. I have been so out of anime for the past 9 months or so now and this show's new season reminds me why I watch anime. I absolutely love this show and there are some notable differences between this season and the previous one. The most noticeable difference is that now you get to actually see the orchestra play (not just the hands and instruments) however I do have one problem with it. I found that the faces of the orchestra were just tacked onto the cel-shaded bodies.

I also have to agree with you on spoiler[the lingerie incident]. It was completely hysterical and wow, spoiler[Nodame is a D70!]. Being honest here, I laughed out loud during that scene.

Though I do have some gripes with this series so far (this season's opening just doesn't compare to Allegro Cantabile) and the artwork from episode one (concerning Nodame) seemed off. However that is just some minor nitpicking.

As it stands right now, this series is just as good as the previous one, however I will miss some of the characters left behind in Japan. I haven't read the manga so I'm unaware if they make a cameo appearance or not but it doesn't like it.

Truly a spectacular series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
This show pleases me. Greatly. The second episode seems to have worked out of the initial awkwardness of the first, and the results were great.

Though, I felt that the end was somewhat rushed, as one would expect that they'd actually spoiler[play Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in full (I would've even settled for the first movement, heh)]. Episode number constraints, perhaps?

Also, when I saw that violinist in the orchestra, I was all "Hey, what? What's that Julian guy from Legend of Galactic Heroes doing here?" Laughing
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quote
It's so good to see the conductors animated this time.
My favourite joke this episode was spoiler[when Nodame was leaning in to kiss the photo of Chiaki at the prelims], someone in the background chuckled at just the right time, and somehow that just made the joke a whole lot funnier. The audience isn't the only one who finds Nodame amusing. Smile

Check out that Katahira. He's pretty stylish. Shocked
Olliff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
Great second episode! I like how the conductors are animated. It is a big improvement over the still shots. The overall feel of the performance scenes seem much more lively and fluid compared to those of the first season.

Nodame is acting like Nodame as usual. I especially enjoyed the spoiler[ the "Switch with me!" gag. ] While mildly humorous, I hope they don't turn the spoiler[ D thing into a running gag. I do admit that Chiaki's reaction to these scenes are priceless. ] As much as I enjoyed this episode, I also felt that it was rushed. It would have been nice to actually hear more of the performance in their entirety. Overall, I like the changes that this new director has made, and I have high hopes for the rest of the season. What a shame that this season is only 11 episodes long! I really can never get enough of Nodame's antics; perhaps I should also read the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4