• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:

Did the LN focus on so many side stories in the beginning as well?

I've only read chapter 10 onward of the LN but here's what I know:

No, episodes 2 - 6 are not from Volume 1 of the LN at all. The side stories are from different volumes or published separately, I believe. Episodes 2, 5 and 6 are from Volume 8. I'm unsure what volume the next side story is from.
Skullface

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
Skullface wrote:
Key wrote:
Sheesh - looks like another side story. The last one, hopefully?

Yes then its back to the main story unless there's some random side story I don't know about Very Happy

Did the LN focus on so many side stories in the beginning as well?

No the last 2 eps came in volume 8 so its gonna be a long time before we get to that volume. The side story about spoiler[Sachi, Silica, and now Lizbeth all came in Volume 2 and since the first volume basically skips 2 years right at the beginning these stories are to show how the Kirito kind of grew into what he was in the first volume and to introduce some characters that will show up a bit later. There is also one more side story but that will come in the middle of the main story.]

EmbraceMe wrote:

No, episodes 2 - 6 are not from Volume 1 of the LN at all. The side stories are from different volumes or published separately, I believe. Episodes 2, 5 and 6 are from Volume 8. I'm unsure what volume the next side story is from.

Episode 2 came as a standalone story I believe and wasn't part of any of the volumes.
Clarste

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
It's part of an upcoming volume called "Sword Art Online: Progressive" which is a floor by floor account of Kirito's journey. There are already chapters for floors 2 and 3 as well, although they didn't make it into the anime. Not sure how far that's supposed to go. All the way to the end?

It sort of retcons some of the history that was previously established though.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

spoiler[Asuna & Kirito seem to be hanging out together a lot lately.
Kirito sword shopping really gave Liz some trouble.
Going on a material collecting quest was interesting to watch.
I got the impression that Liz rarely went out in the world.
The quest turned out to be quite an adventure for Liz!
Kirito's new sword "The Dark Repulser" looks really nice.]

Can't wait to see it in action.
spoiler[I felt sorry for Liz when she realized her feelings for Kirito are in vain..]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Yet another girl who falls for Kirito. Hilarious.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing the LN did not focus near-exclusively on sad events involving cute girls. I may be wrong.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Hmm that sleeping bag scene was PG-13ed.... Here is what happened in the VN according to some blog, (I am going to put spoilers on it but read it if you watched the episode, it doesn't spoil anything else)spoiler[Instead of asking to hold hands, Lizbeth asks Kirito if she could go over to his sleeping bag. Kirito says yes, and Lizbeth strips down to just a camisole before slipping herself into Kirito’s sleeping bag. Kirito then timidly wraps his arms around her; Lizbeth asks him to hug her tighter, which he does, and she basically passes out in his embrace.]
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
It is sad to admit but with the series trying so hard it has finally lost whatever momentum it had built up in its initial two episodes and now my interest in SAO is dwindling quickly.

To be fair I loved the first two episodes as they set up an interesting world with interesting characters. Episode 4 works too (the little sister one) as it had perfect pacing and contained fairly relevant world building and Kirito's characters development (plus a good dose of cuteness). However, the last three episodes of SAO are incredibly trashy. First it was a poorly executed mystery case with ridiculous character motivations and now in episode 7 we are gifted with another 'gem' of storytelling: "Dumb people". Alas! Why bother with any kind of reasonable character behaviour (for Christ's sake I am not even talking about development) when you can blame everything on the morons? Episode 3 all over again people. Seriously, there is hardly any more frustrating way to kill an interest in a work than this...

Anyway this is becoming a really shitty show very fast. It is hard for me to understand how people responsible for this can let such a thing happen. Idiots, idiots everywhere.

Prove me wrong SAO, I dare you. If there is anything good about SAO that must be (as far as fanboys' ravings can tell) the original storyline of first light novel. It better happen soon.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Well the main story is starting in an episode or 2, so try to bear with the current side stories that are introducing the other characters. If you still don't like, feel free to drop it.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Hmm that sleeping bag scene was PG-13ed.... Here is what happened in the VN according to some blog, (I am going to put spoilers on it but read it if you watched the episode, it doesn't spoil anything else)spoiler[Instead of asking to hold hands, Lizbeth asks Kirito if she could go over to his sleeping bag. Kirito says yes, and Lizbeth strips down to just a camisole before slipping herself into Kirito’s sleeping bag. Kirito then timidly wraps his arms around her; Lizbeth asks him to hug her tighter, which he does, and she basically passes out in his embrace.]

There is no VN. And that's not what happens. The only thing missing from the LN is an implied longer conversation. You don't even see it, they just narrate that they'd been talking for hours about whatever.

Hentai_JP wrote:
If there is anything good about SAO that must be (as far as fanboys' ravings can tell) the original storyline of first light novel. It better happen soon.

I wouldn't hold my breath. The good parts as far as I'm concerned were the elaborate details of the setting, which are being systematically cut out of the anime in favor of "developing" the rather generic characters.

LN spoilers: spoiler[
Volume 1 is pretty much more of the same except it involves higher level characters. Volumes 3 and 4 (which will likely be the second half of the anime) and basically terrible and magnify all the problems with the storytelling without adding much. I like the stuff that happens afterward, but the anime won't get that far this time around.]

Last edited by Clarste on Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:24 am; edited 2 times in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

I would agree that my side that like overall storytelling is a little annoyed that this is not moving forward the way it should, that we have again a case of cute girl falling for our lead, and no hope of fruition. But my side that enjoys some drama, bittersweet love stories and such, actually enjoys episodes like this and episode 3, so I can't bring myself to hate them. Though they do not quite fit with what the series should be about.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I like the way Lizbeth looks, and the blacksmith thing is pretty cool. I liked her reaction when Kirito spoiler[broke her best sword, and even more that instead of getting angry at him breaking her best yet, she took it as a challenge to create a better sword.]

He is such a lady killer.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:02 am Reply with quote
This episode was pretty bad for me in multiple ways. As others mentioned, it was an example of anotherspoiler[ cute girl falling for Kirito], which as I said about the preview is going to create more fodder for the "is this a harem" debate. Second, Kirito's behavior towards this girl was extremely misogynistic which made him seem like a crude reminder or embodiment of Japan's problems with treating women as equals. He was spoiler[referring to Lisbeth as "little girl" and patting her on the head like she was some kind of child]. Unfortunately, she is written as some kind of helpless klutz who can't do anything to protect herself, which is the same for pretty much all of the girl characters the story has focused on to this point. They are either klutzes who die due to stupidity or weakness, or Kirito saves them. Even Asuna has fit this description at one time or another. We haven't seen much real strength from her to this point, just another blushing pretty face to hope Kirito likes her.

I enjoyed episodes 4-6 because they were a bit different. I liked Silica and the murder mystery story was intriguing to me, but episode 7 has brought us right back to the low point of episode 3. There wasn't nearly enough development for it to be believable that Lisbeth is spoiler[completely love-stricken after just meeting Kirito for that one night, especially since he wasn't particularly nice to her for any of their expedition]. Apparently, spoiler[ordering a girl around and yelling at her while calling her "little girl" and patting her on the head] is enough to make a girl fall head over heels in love with a guy in Japan.

I said before that I didn't have enough of Kirito's character development to like him or care about him and that was a problem for this show. If they are going to be developing him now into a misogynistic guy who orders a bunch of "little girls" around for their own protection and just saves them from their perceived female stupidity, then I am pretty sure I am NOT going to ever like him.

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure "little" was a translator insertion.

Did I see correctly that both

a) Dude tested the durability of the sword by hitting another sword, and

b) There's literally a number that represents durability?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure "little" was a translator insertion.

I am doubtful that it was a meaningless insertion. The fact that he was patting her on the head like she really was a little child at the time makes it seem accurate. As far as I could tell, she seemed at least as old as he was, if not older. I just do not find this whole 'young japanese guys treating all women as little children or pets' thing to be endearing, but we have seen it with a lot of shows lately. Like I said, it feels like a reminder of slow changing attitudes about women's roles in Japan, but it is probably also a side effect of this whole 'Moe' genre we've been seeing lately.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Liz hiding seemed like the best thing to do. Sure, she may have master level mace skills, but she also spends her days in blacksmith shop. Kirito spends his days being a boss on the front lines, so what good is she really going to do against an ice dragon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 274