• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
great, now we can have 200 pages of nitpicking over Bang Zoom's casting choices
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Cherami Leigh and Stephanie Sheh are pretty solid veterans for the female leads at least.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe it.

I am recording this terrible show solely so I can hear Cherami Leigh's sexy voice.

Oh god what is wrong with me
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
gonna have to wait till episode 2 to hear that sexy voice
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I can't believe it.

I am recording this terrible show solely so I can hear Cherami Leigh's sexy voice.

Oh god what is wrong with me

Certainly not nearly as much as is wrong with me, considering I think her sexiest voice was as Tamaki in Bamboo Blade (with Mai from Ghost Hunt a close second)...
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
gonna have to wait till episode 2 to hear that sexy voice

Oh god dammit. But I might as well see the first episode too. UGH. That and number 2 are like the best ones.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Interesting revelation on Twitter: Crispin Freeman is NOT Akihiko Kayaba. How many non-union actors working in Los Angeles have a similar vocal range?
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually pretty sad that I don't get that channel. I already saw and loved SaO when it aired and likely won't watch it again but I get a huge rush of pride in the industry when I see quality anime on TV.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
You don't have CN? Do you live outside the US?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Interesting revelation on Twitter: Crispin Freeman is NOT Akihiko Kayaba. How many non-union actors working in Los Angeles have a similar vocal range?

If we ever listed it that way then it's been corrected, as Marc Diraison (the English voice of Guts) is currently listed in that role.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:30 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If we ever listed it that way then it's been corrected, as Marc Diraison (the English voice of Guts) is currently listed in that role.

Having finally had an opportunity to listen to Akihiko Kayaba's opening speech in its entirety... yeah, that's definitely not Crispin Freeman. Marc Diraison is certainly an interesting casting choice, though. Can't wait to hear more of him as Kayaba.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
Discussion of the Toonami run of SAO will officially begin here. . . okay, at the post before this one, heh.

This may be the first time I've rewatched the full first episode, and it reminded me why I got enthusiastic about the series in the first place. Despite minimal action, it really is an attention-seizing premise. As far as voices go, Bryce Papembrook is passable as Kirito and Kirk Thornton makes a perfect Klein. Looking forward to next week to see how Cherami Leigh sounds as Asuna.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
was that JYB as the skinny guy?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
*checks DVR recording*

Pretty sure it wasn't, getchman, but they only do a limited role listing in the credits. I am pretty sure that I heard Wendee Lee as one of the crowd voices, though.
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:32 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Discussion of the Toonami run of SAO will officially begin here. . . okay, at the post before this one, heh.

This may be the first time I've rewatched the full first episode, and it reminded me why I got enthusiastic about the series in the first place. Despite minimal action, it really is an attention-seizing premise. As far as voices go, Bryce Papembrook is passable as Kirito and Kirk Thornton makes a perfect Klein. Looking forward to next week to see how Cherami Leigh sounds as Asuna.

I haven't had enough familiarity to breed contempt with this show; I'm only up to episode 10 on CR, and it's still one of my favorite '11 series. I've been approaching most of the season-ticketholder complaints about the show with "What, what??"
Most fantasy series suffer from being glorified video games; here, we're in a fantasy world that IS a videogame, and plays on gamers' knowledge of World of Warcraft, and still manages to generate complex motivations and life-or-death angst. The idea was to spin the idea on the detachment of gamers, but instead it works on the detachment of fantasy-series watchers who do treat the story like a Warcraft game. (Granted, this's all based on the first "real" half of the series and I'm not into the elven-forest half yet, but how bad could it be? Wink )
And even if Kirito can be a major jerk, Asuna more than makes up for reasons to keep watching. Very Happy

Have to admit, it's odd that CN is still showing anime; maybe someone told them it was a "gamer show", and they thought they could get geek-jokes in. They can't have turned sane already.

Last edited by EricJ on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 246 of 274